Author Topic: California Concert Carpetbaggers  (Read 1821 times)

HoyaSaxa03

California Concert Carpetbaggers
« on: April 29, 2005, 12:25:00 pm »
this is from the post's music critic, on their GOG blog ... thoughts?  seth, care to comment?

------------------------------------------
 Posted at 03:53 PM ET, 04/28/2005
 California Concert Carpetbaggers

If it isn't bad enough that we live in a region that doesn't have a single decent high-profile radio station willing to play anything other than mainstream music, now we have to suffer the indignity of having concerts being "presented" by a radio station 3000 miles away. Santa Monica's progressive/alternative rock station, KCRW, has announced that it will begin promoting shows in the D.C. market this summer. Well, technically, it's the station's Web site KCRW.com that is presenting Aqualung on May 9 at the 9:30 and the Pixies and Bloc Party on June 13 at Merriweather. But the technical difference doesn't make it any less embarrassing that a station on the other side of the country can recognize this giant chasm in local music radio. In an effort to nationalize its brand of only slightly adventurous programming, the station seems to be targeting markets where acts like the aforementioned bands are likely to get little radio play and D.C. fits squarely into that category. They gave us our own baseball team, you'd think they'd at least give us one radio station we could be proud of. Having a California radio station/web site present shows in D.C. is not an acceptable solution.

-- Joe
(o|o)

ggw

Re: California Concert Carpetbaggers
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 12:33:00 pm »
They are also promoting shows in New York and San Francisco, so it's not like DC is being singled out or anything.

Plus, KCRW is online. They aren't limited to a certain geographical area anymore. It's a public station and if this helps them raise more funds for public radio then I'm all for it.

walkonby

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 12:52:00 pm »
but somebody has to bitch

sonickteam2

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 12:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  but somebody has to bitch
and somebody's gotta sponser the cool shows...

Fico

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 01:09:00 pm »
I don't see the big deal...KEXP is sponsoring a ton of shows in NYC...and soon enough WOXY will sponsor a show here in DC..or maybe we'll have to move it to NY  :)

Random Citizen

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 01:10:00 pm »
If it isn't bad enough that we live in a region that doesn't have a single decent high-profile radio station willing to play anything other than mainstream music, now we have to suffer the indignity of having concerts being "presented" by a radio station 3000 miles away.
Right, because the Post is always touting local acts and writing reviews on their shows.   :roll:  Be part of the solution, Joe. With that blog, it would be nice to see mention of local acts instead of contant bitching about KCRW or which acts are skipping DC to play Baltimore, etc.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 01:10:00 pm »
Is KCRW sponsoring the entire Pixies US tour?  If so I dont see where thats any different than a beer company doing the same thing, you still need local promoters to book the shows.

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 01:33:00 pm »
they bitched when WHFS sponsered the shows, they'll bitch when KCRW sponsers em. lotta whiners here in DC (here, cause i am IN dc right now)

ratioci nation

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 01:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam3:
  (here, cause i am IN dc right now)
I though I felt a disturbance in the force

Bags

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 02:00:00 pm »
KCRW saw a hole and they're filling it.  KCRW is right -- it SUCKS that there's no decent (or semi decent) radio around here.  Don't know who's fault that is, but it isn't KCRW's.  At least they're not usurping a local station's territory, 'cuz we ain't got no local station!

sonickteam2

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 02:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollardteam2:

Originally posted by sonickteam3:
  (here, cause i am IN dc right now)
I though I felt a disturbance in the force [/b]
haha,   ;)

Random Citizen

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 04:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
 Don't know who's fault that is, but it isn't KCRW's.  At least they're not usurping a local station's territory, 'cuz we ain't got no local station!
Exactly. I made a similar point, under my semi-real name *gasp*, over on the Post blog.