Author Topic: Ben Folds  (Read 1981 times)

eros

Ben Folds
« on: September 24, 2008, 02:46:00 pm »
Who's going?  I've got an extra ticket (5th row) if anyone is interested.
ʎɐʍou

RustyOrgan

Re: Ben Folds
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 04:30:00 pm »
woa

eros

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »
Not you.
ʎɐʍou

mr. pretentious

• This Boy Is Exhausted
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 09:21:00 am »
I heard from a friend this show was the worst Ben Folds show she's ever seen.

What's your opinion?

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 09:26:00 am »
The worst Ben Folds show I ever saw was a couple of years ago at U-Maryland.

The best was with the Ben Folds Five at Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill in 1996.

Those were the only two times I've seen him...wouldn't want to see him again after that last one.

He's got a song on his new album entitled "Bitch Went Nuts". With song titles like that, it's no wonder he's on his fourth wife at what, about the age of 40 or so?

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 09:37:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  The worst Ben Folds show I ever saw was a couple of years ago at U-Maryland.

The best was with the Ben Folds Five at Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill in 1996.

Those were the only two times I've seen him
does this make anyone else laugh besides me?

Lamb007

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 09:38:00 am »
Seen him a bunch of times before and this was easily the worst. Absolutely wretched. He showed the same kind of contempt for his audience that Ryan Adams displays most nights. The first 50 minutes were exclusively songs from the new album along with some songs that they just made up. Some of them were alternate versions of songs they had just played. There were two brainwash songs, two free coffee songs, two different bitch went nuts songs, two frown songs, and on and on it went. The music was ok, but the lyrics on the goof songs were sub 4th grade. After nearly an hour of torturing the audience with new songs and "fake" songs (as he called them), he thanked everyone for coming out to listen to "our new shit" and left the stage. They came back and ripped into some old stuff (Zac and Sara, Philosophy, Landed, etc.) and it seemed like we were going to be rewarded for our penance with a full set of what we actually paid to hear. But nope. It was actually a glorified encore. Played 5 songs and said good night. Total playing time was about 1 hour and 15 minutes with nearly an hour devoted to mostly crap. If you want to take bong hits and goof around with your musician friends, stay in the basement and try to refrain from charging $40 for your self indulgence.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 11:44:00 am »
Negatives: Worst show of his I have seen.  Worst headliner performance I have seen at all in a long time. I don't think that I have ever seen an act exclusively play his/its new record without mixing in any older songs.  Adding the alternate versions just made it worse.  And the fact that the new songs seem to be angry and/or stupid just wrecked the entire show.  The encore started off promising, but died an untimely and uninspired death with the frown song "written in 5 minutes on an airplane."
 Positives: You can bring drinks to the seats now at DAR; and I got a great parking spot.

Bags

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 11:49:00 am »
Originally posted by challenged:

Positives: You can bring drinks to the seats now at DAR; and I got a great parking spot.
What time did you park?  I'm wondering if I should drive tonight to see Kathy Griffin.  It can be tough finding a cab on the way home, but I assume parking is miserable as well.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 02:31:00 pm »
Parked at 6:30PM-ish, a lot of the parking becomes available right at 6:30 on the streets around DAR.

eros

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 03:12:00 pm »
More or less agree with the above reviews.  Incredibly self-indulgent to play all his new record before anything else...that being said, I really enjoyed a lot of the new songs.  Probably would've been nice to pepper a few old hits in amongst there (and certainly go longer in the encore/2nd set).

The last song was a complete waste.
ʎɐʍou

Bags

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 04:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by challenged:
  Parked at 6:30PM-ish, a lot of the parking becomes available right at 6:30 on the streets around DAR.
Yeah.  That is a great plan.  Alas, I can't get there until near 8:00, so I think parking will be tough.  Oh the days before I had a dog to walk!