Author Topic: Mars Volta - Roll Call  (Read 3225 times)

Chulahoma

Re: Mars Volta - Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 10:24:00 am »
i thought the show was great, but i wasn't that big a fan of the rams head layout.  does anyone know if the capacity there is larger than 930?

nkotb

Re: Mars Volta - Roll Call
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 10:35:00 am »
Randomly, I stood behind one of the managers for Rams Head who filled me in on all sorts of info.  Apparently, capacity is 1,500.  The space is weird though.  Pretty decent sight lines (we got there just prior to starting and had a great view), but walking in felt like I was visiting a chain restaurant.  The bar was so brightly lit and fancy, I had trouble realizing I was in a rock club.  I'd rather not go back.

Overall, the show was enjoyable.  I don't think they've really found their live footing yet: I think the noodling transitions work well enough on record, but live it just kills the momentum.  All said and done, I doubt I'd see them again, though they are quite a power-house when they hit their stride.

I can't help but think that the band is a split between a punk band and a Haight-Ashbury hippie jamboree.  A weird juxtaposition, but I'm guessing it's why they have such a live reputation.

Originally posted by bizou311®:
  i thought the show was great, but i wasn't that big a fan of the rams head layout.  does anyone know if the capacity there is larger than 930?