Author Topic: Bourtheto: a Washington DC speciality?  (Read 2338 times)

edbert

Bourtheto: a Washington DC speciality?
« on: July 12, 2004, 09:38:00 am »
Can anyone name a DC restaurant with "Bourtheto" on its menu?  From the Washington DC Eyewitness Travel Guide, p173 under the heading What To Eat In Washington:  "A dish of fish in a spicy tomato sauce, introduced by Greek immigrants".

thirsty moore

Re: Bourtheto: a Washington DC speciality?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 09:58:00 am »
The only Greek restaurants I know of in DC are Yanni's in Cleveland Park or that Zorba place in Dupont.

ratioci nation

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 10:03:00 am »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  The only Greek restaurants I know of in DC are Yanni's in Cleveland Park or that Zorba place in Dupont.
Also The Greek Deli, and there is another place between dupont and foggy bottom

Random Citizen

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 10:10:00 am »
You may want to try asking this question on the Washington/Baltimore Chowhound message board.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 10:27:00 am »
Hmmmm.  I love greek food.  I worked in a greek restarant in richmond when I was 18 - 20 or so.  Strangely, richmond had a small cartel or greek restaurant owners in "The Fan", the neighborhood near VCU.  I haven't found a greek restaurant in DC that i love.  Suggestions please.

Random Citizen

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 10:30:00 am »
It's more Meditteranean-themed than Greek, but I love Zaytinya.

Originally posted by chaz:
  Hmmmm.  I love greek food.  I worked in a greek restarant in richmond when I was 18 - 20 or so.  Strangely, richmond had a small cartel or greek restaurant owners in "The Fan", the neighborhood near VCU.  I haven't found a greek restaurant in DC that i love.  Suggestions please.

edbert

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 10:42:00 am »
Thanks for the tasty link, Random!  
 I really think the whole thing is made up... it's just wierd that the book editor would come up with "Bourtheto"-  maybe that was cut&pasted from a Travel Guide for a city like Providence which actually has a population of Greek immigrants.

That place between Dupont and Foggy B may be called Georgios.  They're weak on actual Greek food but do have the best Spanakopita in town.  I also like the frozen Spanakopita triangles they sell at Trader Joes (not the big pie or the tiny hors doeurves- they sell three versions of frozen spanakopita there)

ratioci nation

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 11:00:00 am »
Originally posted by edbert:
  Thanks for the tasty link, Random!  
 I really think the whole thing is made up... it's just wierd that the book editor would come up with "Bourtheto"-  maybe that was cut&pasted from a Travel Guide for a city like Providence which actually has a population of Greek immigrants.

That place between Dupont and Foggy B may be called Georgios.  They're weak on actual Greek food but do have the best Spanakopita in town.  I also like the frozen Spanakopita triangles they sell at Trader Joes (not the big pie or the tiny hors doeurves- they sell three versions of frozen spanakopita there)
somebody just reminded the place between Dupont and Foggy Bottom is called Port of Piraeus, I went to Giorgios once when I used to work over there, that place has bad souvlaki

I don't think you can get much better than the Greek Combo from The Greek Deli (orzo, a meatball, mousaka, lima beans or green beans, greek salad and bread, it can be two meals).

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 12:23:00 pm »
This thread made me hungry.  Went down to the Greek Deli for the combo.  Damn this thing is huge.  Two lunches at least.

thirsty moore

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 12:46:00 pm »
Their pizza was miserable the time I went, and the lady working the counter was this pissed off grandmother.

Originally posted by pollard:
 [QB]I went to Giorgios once when I used to work over there, that place has bad souvlaki[QB]

Jaguär

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 10:49:00 pm »
Yummmmmmmmmmmm......

Greek food is one of my all time very favorite foods.

I have some of those Trader Joe's spanakopitas in my freezer but need some lemons for it. I LOVE those things!

I swear, I must have lived a past life in Ancient Greece.

If you ever get to Baltimore, go east of Fells Point and eat in a very long time very good Greek restaraunt called Ikarus. Pure Greek Heaven!