Author Topic: Holger Czukay  (Read 1285 times)

walkman

Holger Czukay
« on: April 28, 2004, 11:25:00 pm »
...of Can fame, at the Cat May 4th.  I love the band's 70's stuff, but don't know his solo work at all.  Any word on whether this will be a good one?

snailhook

Re: Holger Czukay
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 02:43:00 pm »
well, can is one of my favorite bands ever, and being a completist, i have a bunch of each member's solo albums, including holger's first few, as well as his collaborations with the edge and jah wobble. i also have a german documentary on him from the late '80s. although his work is always interesting and good, it doesn't come near can in quality -- but then again, what does? can from 1969-1974 made some of the most beautiful, inspired, and vital music committed to tape.

i don't know what to expect for this show, but i will be there. i guarantee holger will be screwing around with shortwave radios, french horns, and various other unique instruments and sound generators. and if he's not that good, at least measles mumps rubella are opening, one of DC's best bands. the only thing that sucks is the $15 cover charge.

walkman

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 11:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:

can from 1969-1974 made some of the most beautiful, inspired, and vital music committed to tape.

at least measles mumps rubella are opening, one of DC's best bands.

the only thing that sucks is the $15 cover charge.
word, word and word...goddamn snail, we sure see eye to eye.

threequartersleeve

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 04:41:00 am »
I totally agree, $15 seems high- its $10 in Baltimore (Ottobar) on Thursday, which seems kinda weird- though Measles Mumps Rubella are fun....

Sir HC

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 10:15:00 am »
Going to the Ottobar show.  Should be killer.  Missed Damo Suzuki last year, heard that was a killer show (the Fall did I am Damo Suzuki at the Ottobar).  I might well be wearing my new favorite t-shirt, the USCS Banana slugs...

snailhook

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 04:42:00 pm »
i'd probably go to the ottobar show show if i didn't have to work that night.

i saw damo suzuki twice last year, at the ottobar and at the velvet lounge. both shows were fantastic, due to the improvisatory abilities of cul de sac, one of the best psych bands out there that hardly anybody knows. their guitarist, glenn jones, is a huge michael karoli fan -- as well as a fan of john fahey -- so the music tended to follow the polyrhythmic, free-flow blueprint of classic can. with that as his foundation, damo was inspired to do his thing, which included scatting in japanese/english/german and singing without using words/language. both sets were close to two hours. damo jumped off the stage at both shows to hug audience members.

the fall also played "i am damo suzuki" at the black cat last month.