Author Topic: More Monkey Business  (Read 5542 times)

ggw

More Monkey Business
« on: January 24, 2003, 05:28:00 pm »
Speaking of abortion rights.....look who's throwing his hat into the Presidential primaries  -- Gary Hart.<P>I overheard a guy at the Patti Smith show at Kennedy Center claiming he worked for Hart and that Hart was definitely running.  Then this article appeared in today's NY Times.<P>Gary Hart Weighs Strengths Against Past Embarrassment <BR>By JOHN TIERNEY <P>DES MOINES, Jan. 23 â?? As his plane descended over Iowa's frozen cornfields on Wednesday, Gary Hart analyzed his presidential prospects as cheerily as he did during the 1980's. At 66, he looks the part better than ever now that the boyish good looks have weathered. Gray hair is an asset for a politician whose most famous pictures involved a yacht named Monkey Business. <P>Mr. Hart knew, of course, that reporters were waiting on the ground to ask him more embarrassing questions about the extramarital fling in 1987 that destroyed his last campaign. He knew that he has no money or political organization except for a few university students promoting him on a Web site. And he knew that while this was the first time he has ventured to Iowa in years â?? to gauge whether he should enter the race â?? other Democratic aspirants have already made frequent trips here. <P>But Mr. Hart, who represented Colorado in the Senate from 1975 to 1987, also knew he had a couple of advantages. As a prophet who kept warning of terrorist attacks well before Sept. 11, he might emerge as the only Democrat with a clear defining issue: the Cassandra candidate. And while the others have a head start, no one knows presidential campaigning the way he does. <P>"I can make a plausible case for having invented the Iowa caucuses," Mr. Hart said, recalling his decision to focus on the then-obscure caucuses when he managed the 1972 campaign of the then-obscure George McGovern. The results in Iowa helped propel Mr. McGovern to the nomination and made Iowa the first contest to watch ever since. In 1984, after an unexpectedly strong second place finish in Iowa, Mr. Hart went on to win New Hampshire and nearly defeat former Vice President Walter Mondale for the nomination. <P>"When we came into Iowa, Mondale was the prohibitive front-runner with poll numbers above 50 percent, and I was about 2 or 3 percent," Mr. Hart recalled. "This year looks a lot more open. Nobody else is even up to 20 percent." <P>Nobody else, though, has as much explaining to do as Mr. Hart, who so far has been bearing his burden calmly. Several weeks ago, he recalled, he was asked at a news conference if he was prepared to answer the awkward questions about 1987 should he enter the presidential race. "I said, `Yes, I'm prepared to deal with the subject,' and then I added with a straight face, `But maybe it won't come up.' I was trying to make a joke, but I'm afraid they took me seriously." <BR> <A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/24/national/24HART.html?pagewanted=1" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/24/national/24HART.html?pagewanted=1[/url]

Re: More Monkey Business
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 06:18:00 pm »
I think he's better than any of the scrubs who are in it thus far.

ggw

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2003, 06:22:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rhett Miller:<BR><B>I think he's better than any of the scrubs who are in it thus far.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And to think, I had you pegged as a Sharpton supporter........

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2003, 06:27:00 pm »
Not a Sharpton supporter, but I do think I supported Jesse one of the times he ran.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ggw:<BR><B> And to think, I had you pegged as a Sharpton supporter........</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Fico

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2003, 10:57:00 am »
Anyone going to Rhett Miller's in-store at Border's today??? I shall be there...

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2003, 11:25:00 am »
I'll be there, sporting my new Justin Timberlake inspired perm, and Sting like Superbowl halftime gear.

Fico

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2003, 11:29:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rhett Miller:<BR><B>I'll be there, sporting my new Justin Timberlake inspired perm, and Sting like Superbowl halftime gear.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I hope I can spot you there Rhett...I might be going with a friend from work who is tall and has a bald head...he's French..I'll be the shorter chap next to him...otherwise I'll have with me what Markie would label an "emo scarf"... a checkered blue and red one...<P>

Celeste

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2003, 12:32:00 pm »
I'll be there, naturally.

Fico

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2003, 01:24:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Celeste:<BR><B>I'll be there, naturally.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>See you there...maybe you and Rhett can chip in and buy me this month's MOJO, Q and NME. <P>