Author Topic: What's the purpose of "pre-selling"?  (Read 3312 times)

Bombay Chutney

Re: What's the purpose of "pre-selling"?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2004, 04:26:00 pm »
Well, I said it wasn't a perfect system.  I certainly don't think it's fair to sell out every ticket via presales. As you said, that's not really giving the casual fan a fighting chance.

And while I don't really want this to devolve into a "who deserves tickets" argument, I'd have to say the folks who scavenge websites about their favorite bands, are on their mailing lists, frequent their chat rooms, or whatever, probably should be able to get first crack at tickets.  At least those folks have an obvious interest in seeing the band.  Since there's no official "I'm a big fan" registry, presales are a decent solution.

Bags

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2004, 04:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:
  Do you think the more casual fan will be online at 10AM on Thursday to buy tickets right away?
Like I used to?  Yes.  They read the CityPaper, they know when tix go on sale, but they don't join fan clubs.  When I said casual, I really meant not rabid.

So, if all the tix were available for the general sale, those fans who care enough to be online at 10 am, which are pretty anxious fans, get a chance at a ticket.

Originally posted by pollard:
 Shouldn't there be some reward to being a music geek other than social awkwardness?    :)
Isn't being a music geek reward enough?    :p  

I don't feel strongly about this whole issue, except that in some instances the multiple pre-sales have gotten way out of control.

Darth Ed

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2004, 09:56:00 pm »
I don't feel strongly about this whole issue, except that in some instances the multiple pre-sales have gotten way out of control. [/QB]
I totally agree about the multiple pre-sales issue. If there's going to be a pre-sale, then there should be just one and it should be preferably fan club members only (assuming the band/artist has a fan club). The Amex Gold ad nauseum pre-sales are a pain in the ass. They benefit scalpers more than fans.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2004, 07:26:00 am »
the idea, at least in our case, was to give our loyal customers a crack at tickets first

we only put up a portion of the capacity, in order to save some for the general public, so that shows aren't sold out even before they have a chance

I can't speak for other venues as to their reasons

eltee

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2004, 08:12:00 am »
Amex Gold
Okay, now I'm asking a lame question and I'm capable of looking it up...but what's this?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2004, 09:24:00 am »
American Express Gold Card

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2004, 09:25:00 am »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
  the idea, at least in our case, was to give our loyal customers a crack at tickets first
and it's greatly appreciated.  Thanks!