Author Topic: Town Hall Meeting: re: Fillmore 1/30/08  (Read 2959 times)

musiq_misstrust

Town Hall Meeting: re: Fillmore 1/30/08
« on: January 25, 2008, 10:09:00 am »
Montgomery County Council to Host Town Hall Meeting on Wednesday, Jan. 30

Public Invited to Express Their Views on Issues, Ask Questions of Councilmembers at AFI Theatre in Silver Spring

ROCKVILLE, Md., January 18, 2008 - The Montgomery County Council will continue its efforts to find out what issues most concern the residents of the County when it hosts a Town Hall Meeting for the Silver Spring area at the American Film Institute (AFI) Theatre on Wednesday, Jan. 30, starting at 8 p.m. A pre-meeting reception will begin at 7:30 p.m.

This will be the first Town Hall Meeting hosted by the Council in 2008. The Council is composed of President Mike Knapp, Vice President Phil Andrews and Councilmembers Roger Berliner, Marc Elrich, Valerie Ervin, Nancy Floreen, George Leventhal, Marilyn Praisner and Duchy Trachtenberg.

The AFI Theatre is located at 8633 Colesville Road in the revitalized area of downtown Silver Spring.

The meeting will allow residents to let the Councilmembers know how they feel about specific issues and will allow them to ask questions of the Councilmembers in an organized, but informal, setting.

Among the topics expected to attract the focus of residents are schools, public safety, traffic, growth and development, affordable housing and taxes. Another significant topic in the area has been the proposal to establish a music hall operated by promoter Live Nation.

??The residents?? survey we conducted in 2007 told us residents want their County to do a better job of communicating with them,? said Council President Knapp. ??Town Hall Meetings are one of our real opportunities to listen to the community on a wide variety of issues in a way that is so much more direct than an e-mail or a letter. For the citizens, these meetings provide a forum where they can see their elected officials in a different format than a televised meeting or through a news release.?

The meeting will be taped for later broadcast on County Cable Montgomery (CCM??cable Channel 6 on Comcast and RCN, Channel 30 on Verizon). Susan Kenedy, a producer for the county station, will moderate the meeting.

All three Council Town Hall meetings held in 2007 attracted crowds of more than 200.

For more information about the Town Hall Meeting or about the broadcast times, call 240-777-7931.

If you live in Montgomery County, please come to this meeting and express your concerns about Live Nation's proposed Fillmore nightclub chain in Silver Spring.  With a large budget deficit, should the county be handing out this type of corporate welfare?

walkonby

Re: Town Hall Meeting: re: Fillmore 1/30/08
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 10:55:00 am »
"The meeting went without incident . . . until a strange, pudgy man with a hat pulled low, sunglasses and an obvious, bad mustache, entered the meeting and started screaming that the fillmore and live nation will ruin the dc music scene, especially the great 930 club."

Mobius

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 12:16:00 pm »
My opinion is Silver Spring is not a place I ever want to go to see a concert.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 12:20:00 pm »
I agree. Silver Spring has a PG County feel to it. I.M.P. should seek a venue in Bethesda  :p

Originally posted by Mobius:
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 12:28:00 pm »
WHAT?!?  AND MISS "AMERICAN IDOL"?!?

ok fine i'll go, but only if i can have the mic during commercial breaks.
<sig>

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »
It's probably comparable to the Shaw neighborhood that the 9:30 is in, except they have a Whole Foods in Silver Spring.

930clubber

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »
And a dim sum restaurant better than anything in DC.

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  It's probably comparable to the Shaw neighborhood that the 9:30 is in, except they have a Whole Foods in Silver Spring.

[/b]

bull930

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 07:46:00 am »
I would rather have it in Silver Spring than Bethesda.......your right by the Discovery building soon to be OWN studios!!!!!!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
have you been to silver spring in the past 3-5 years?  fyi, SS is all grown up now - the walk between the silver spring metro and the proposed future location of the Filmore is in no way comparable to the one from U St/Cardoso to the 930.  it's all well-lit new stores, recently-done sidewalks, no houses.  i find it a tad too modern and souless, but just a bit - not as bad as herndon, for example.
<sig>

Driveway

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 03:35:00 pm »
Herndon?  What's wrong with Herndon?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »
ack, my bad, meant reston.
<sig>