Author Topic: Top 5 Kozelek Songs  (Read 1489 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Top 5 Kozelek Songs
« on: October 10, 2005, 01:55:00 pm »
The grey skies and constant rain lately put me in a nice Red House Painters mood ... so, without further ado, top 5 Kozelek/RHP/Sun Kil Moon songs:

1)  San Geronimo ("Ocean Beach", 1995)
 -- this song is just fantastic ... sometimes a chorus is so good that you just want it to go on forever, and the last three minutes or so of this song is just the cathartic chorus (with that little peppy drum fill) repeated over and over and over and over an....

2)  Mistress ("Red House Painters [Rollercoaster]", 1993)
 -- there are two versions of this song (full band and solo piano) on the album, but i really like the full-band cut ... it's almost a little shoegazey, with this great droning guitar and the amazing central riff ... lyrics are also really good ... it would be fun to hear a full-on wall-of-sound shoegaze cover of this

3)  Have You Forgotten ("Songs From a Blue Guitar", 1996)
 -- this is probably my favorite Kozelek song lyrically ... great wistful tone without devolving into too much schmaltz (ok, there's some) ... there's not much going on musically, just a simple solo acoustic guitar, but it sounds great

4)  Glenn Tipton (Sun Kil Moon, "Ghosts of the Great Highway", 2003)
 -- similar feel to "have you forgotten", basic acoustic guitar riff on repeat, but it's a really good use of Kozelek's voice, and if you hunt down the lyrics (hard to understand on first listen), they're really fantastic

5)  Japanese to English ("Down Colorful Hill", 1992)
 -- i really like this album, but i usually appreciate it more as a whole rather than track-by-track ... but this song can definitely stand on it's own ... it's in the early RHP era of tons of reverb, incredibly depressing stuff, but it's more accessible than the rest of the album
(o|o)

bearman🐻

Re: Top 5 Kozelek Songs
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 03:07:00 pm »
Hmmmm...actually, there are 3 versions of Mistress. I have an edit version of the full band that is even better and more haunting than the version that appears on the Rollercoaster CD.

Here are my favorite Kozelek songs:

1) Medicine Bottle
 2) Mistress (edit)
 3) Mother
 4) Moments
 5) Uncle Joe

amnesiac

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 03:16:00 pm »
My Kozelek collection is pretty limited, since I only have his newer stuff (Songs for a Blue Guitar, Old Ramon, and Ghosts of the Great Highway). But my favorites, in no particular order, would be:

-Pancho Villa
 -Carry Me Ohio
 -Song for a Blue Guitar
 -Have You Forgotten
 -Void

And the Red House Painters cover of "All Mixed Up" is amazing...

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 03:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  Hmmmm...actually, there are 3 versions of Mistress. I have an edit version of the full band that is even better and more haunting than the version that appears on the Rollercoaster CD.

nice, you know where i could find it?

there's a live version on the "retrospective" double-CD, mostly just acoustic guitar ... it's kind of sloppy, don't like it as much

"medicine bottle" is a great song, it just takes soooo long to develop ... i can tell you like the slit-your-wrists side of RHP a little more than i do =)
(o|o)

Sage 703

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 05:30:00 pm »
Okay, who wants to help me out...

I got WAY into the Sun Kil Moon record, but know nothing about Red House Painters.  And they have craploads of material.  Where do I start?

Oh, and has anybody heard the new Sun Kil Moon that comes out in November?  Modest Mouse covers, apparently?

freddyadu

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 05:54:00 pm »
1. medicine bottle
 2. katy song
 3. drop
 4. trailways
 5. find me ruben olivares

as far as red house painters suggestions, i would start with the self-titled (bridge album) to get a general feel of pre-sun kil moon stuff.

Arlette

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 06:00:00 pm »
Did you guys know he was in Almost Famous?  I think he played the bass player in Stillwater?  I had no idea, just found out this weekend.

freddyadu

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 06:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by Arlette:
  Did you guys know he was in Almost Famous?  I think he played the bass player in Stillwater?  I had no idea, just found out this weekend.
cameron crowe is a big rhp fan.

he's also gonna be in the "shopgirl" movie.

Sage 703

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 06:17:00 pm »
Read that in On Tap?

Arlette

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 06:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:

Read that in On Tap? [/b]
No, I think it was Paste...cover story on Elizabethtown.  What's On Tap?

bearman🐻

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 08:02:00 pm »
That version of Mistress has a bit less distortion than the one on the Rollercoaster LP...it's only on this promo compilation called "Hits Postmodern Syndrome" or something like that. It's pretty rare from what I understand. I didn't like "Songs For a Blue Guitar" that much, HATED "Old Ramon". Sun Kil Moon is pretty good though. For me, things went downhill after Gorden Mack left the RHPs. He was the one who added that certain something that made the first few records so good.

Sage 703

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 08:57:00 am »

Originally posted by callat703:

Read that in On Tap? [/b]
No, I think it was Paste...cover story on Elizabethtown.  What's On Tap? [/b]
Arlington's A&E paper; they mentioned it this month as well.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 10:24:00 am »
uncle joe
 strawberry hill
 drop
 3 legged cat
 dragonflies

RHP has 6 proper albums, 1 EP and 1 retrospective.  there are a few other kozelek cd's, not necessarily under the RHP tag, such as the 2 AC/DC cover cds, a live cd, and the sun kil moon stuff.  the rollercoaster album is the one to get.

and btw, kozelek started playing fever dog live shortly have almost famous came out. . .so, him being in that movie isn't new news.
OU812

Arlette

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 10:56:00 am »
Kozelek's take on why he's doing the album of Modest Mouse covers:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-10/11.shtml#markkozelek