Author Topic: First Impressions Of Earth  (Read 4623 times)

Re: First Impressions Of Earth
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 01:05:00 pm »
If a band is of marginal talent, I would agree.

However, take someone with true talent like George Jones. I want George Jones singing classic country. I don't want him singing modern country, I don't want him singing alt-country, I don't want him singing rock or jazz, I don't want him singing into a megaphone, or with other special effects. It's his voice doing the classic country sound that I want. And why listen to just one classic country album by the Possum if there are 30 good ones? If he puts out a 31st that is good stuff, I'll want that one too.

But obviously, the Strokes are a flavor of the moment band rather than a musically historical figure ala George Jones. Can't wait for the Strokes polka album.

Originally posted by Doctor Mood:

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  Does your line of thinking regarding Strokes albums apply toward women as well?

Why the constant need for change?

Their first album was great, and fresh-sounding, but it was the kind of thing that if you just do over and over again, it just gets boring.   So they basically had no choice but to change.
[/b]
Why put out the same stuff over and over?  You might as well just keep listening to the first album. [/b]

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 01:37:00 pm »

But obviously, the Strokes are a flavor of the moment band
[/QB][/QUOTE]

Well, that's the other thing.  They received acclaim with their first album because it sounded fresh.  But that won't keep you going over a series of albums.

I take it you don't like the Strokes.  But my point is simply that they needed to grow (another word for change).  Even in an ossified genre like country, the really good musicians grow and change over time.
_\|/_

vansmack

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006, 01:47:00 pm »
Free stream of the new album if you sign up here:

http://www.jpnm.net/strokes_listeningparty/8_heathenangel_index.html
27>34

tinygee

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2006, 02:57:00 pm »
first song is really good, and the others have the catchy strokes tune to it, like the reggae chords which is very similar to their room on fire sound....but do they really need that goofy backing guitar riff and every song? overall, i have to rate this record- cheeseball.

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2006, 03:03:00 pm »
I don't particularly like or dislike the Strokes.
 Like You Be Betty, I do prefer for my favorite bands or artists to keep the same sound rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. If you're good at lyrics and you have a distinctively appealing voice and style, there's no reason to try to become something different. Thus, I'll take the latest Son Volt album over the latest Wilco album any day of the week. Each album has ten or more different songs on it than the previous album. That's difference enough for me.

But obviously, the Strokes are a flavor of the moment band
[/b]
Well, that's the other thing.  They received acclaim with their first album because it sounded fresh.  But that won't keep you going over a series of albums.

I take it you don't like the Strokes.  But my point is simply that they needed to grow (another word for change).  Even in an ossified genre like country, the really good musicians grow and change over time. [/QB][/QUOTE]

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2006, 01:24:00 am »
Originally posted by BookerT:
 there's one song, "ask me anything," that sounds EXACTLY like a magnetic fields song, steals a vocal melody and all that, so that's kind of entertaining.
i haven't heard the strokes album, but it seems like every stephen merritt tune has some kind of classic melody line, like they could all be long-lost twisted stephen foster songs or something, so it's not saying much to compare something to a magnetic fields melody ...
(o|o)