Author Topic: Oh, Mandy  (Read 2969 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Oh, Mandy
« on: July 11, 2003, 07:02:00 pm »
Perhaps, maybe, this isn't necessarily a grape kool-aid moment. Maybe some of Mandy's fans will search out the originals. Maybe those writing songs for Mandy's ilk will feel inferior and try harder. It might even be listenable.

Maybe pigs will ....

From Billboard:

Mandy Moore Goes Under 'Covers'

For her fourth album, Mandy Moore is moving away from teen-leaning pop to interpreting an array of songs she says hold great meaning for her. Due Oct. 21 via Epic, "Coverage" finds Moore interpreting songs by the likes of Joni Mitchell, Joe Jackson, Carly Simon, the Waterboys and XTC, among others.

"It is a compilation of some of the most incredible music I have ever heard in my life and the fact that I got to record these songs is still unimaginable to me," Moore writes on her official Web site.

The 12-track album includes Moore's version of XTC's "Senses Working Overtime," Jackson's "Breaking Us in Two," Simon's "Anticipation" and Elton John's "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters."

"I could've done a whole Elton cover record," Moore writes. "I saw Elton a couple weeks ago and I told him that I was singing one of his songs and he was very excited. I'm really nervous for the original artists to hear these songs."

Other artists whose material she tackles are Blondie, Cat Stevens, Carole King, John Hiatt, Todd Rundgren and Joan Armatrading. Moore's site currently hosts streaming samples of all of the songs on the album, as well as her thoughts on several of the tracks.

"This is a big step for me, this record," she adds. "I continue to want to bring challenges not just to myself but to all of you who continue to support as well as inspire me with your enthusiasm and love for great music."

[snip]

Here is the "Coverage" track list:

"Help Me" (Joni Mitchell)
 "Anticipation" (Carly Simon)
 "Breaking Us in Two" (Joe Jackson)
 "One Way or Another" (Blondie)
 "Moonshadow" (Cat Stevens)
 "Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters" (Elton John)
 "I Feel the Earth Move" (Carole King)
 "Whole of the Moon" (Waterboys)
 "Have a Little Faith In Me" (John Hiatt)
 "Senses Working Overtime" (XTC)
 "Can We Still Be Friends" (Todd Rundgren)
 "Drop the Pilot" (Joan Armatrading)
😐 🎶

poorlulu

Re: Oh, Mandy
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 08:59:00 pm »
yeah right............

the truth is more like.........

mandy has no talent (well besides being pretty) so therefore has absolutely no way of writting her own material..........she doesn't show her tits enough or writhe around on stage to encourage someone to write material for her so here she is ladies and gentlemen destroying all the tunes you love............

mandy moore look out for her in your nearest dollar store.......

bungle bud

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2003, 09:13:00 pm »
shes pretty lets just admire her for that, a few top songs on that list, i bet she looks good singing them, dont knock the beautiful people.

jadetree

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 09:41:00 pm »
at least she is a talented actress... oh, yeah, nevermind

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 11:28:00 pm »
normally i sudden at the thought of her doing an xtc song... but if it helps andy pay the rent and get a few more new xtc records released in the process and maybe introduce some new fans to the band i just act like it never came out.

my favorite story as a result of a song being covered, is the HUGE payout Nick Lowe got as a result of "(What's so funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding being on The Bodyguard soundtrack.  Nick made more money because of that then through his entire career, even bought his mum at house.  :cool:
T.Rex

walkman

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2003, 01:49:00 am »
Originally posted by beetsnotbeats:

dear god, no.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2003, 11:43:00 am »
dear god was done by xtc... never heard of a band called no
T.Rex

walkman

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2003, 02:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  dear god was done by xtc... never heard of a band called no
No â?? "Moongoon EP" 2002.

This is a strange 7" EP by German artist Jan Iwers, going by the moniker No (not to be confused with the God Is My Co-Pilot side project by the same name). Moongoon features three wildly different pieces. "Moongoon" is an obscure ten-minute sound art exploration. Through long stretches of silence, a tune comes in and out of focus, often standing at the threshold of audibility. Close inspection reveals it to be a severely filtered recording of a band jamming over the solo section of Pink Floyd's "Money." It is drenched in spacy keyboards, but one can make out the chord sequence and the unmistakable bass part. The flip side begins with "Our Little Secret," a Spartan piece of glitchy electronics, clicks and hums breaking up the silence. "Verlust" is a deceptively simple piano solo. Does it all make sense? Does it have to? Moongoon is a puzzling offering, left-field of the dark ambient/noise territory this label usually explores.

Mandy would have a field day.

paige

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2003, 03:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkman:

Originally posted by beetsnotbeats:

dear god, no. [/b]
i second that.

Celeste

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2003, 09:40:00 am »
  normally i sudden at the thought of her doing an xtc song... but if it helps andy pay the rent and get a few more new xtc records released in the process and maybe introduce some new fans to the band i just act like it never came out.
or he could just go on tour...tsk tsk

Bags

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2003, 11:04:00 am »
Originally posted by Celeste:

or he could just go on tour...tsk tsk [/b]
HA ha ha ha!  Good one, Celeste.