Author Topic: Next time through IAD or DCA - you could get puffed!  (Read 3462 times)

Arlette

Next time through IAD or DCA - you could get puffed!
« on: January 10, 2006, 03:22:00 pm »
TSA announces influx of puffer machines at airports

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The busiest U.S. airports -- about 40 of them -- will have bomb-detection equipment known as "puffer machines" installed by spring, the Transportation Security Administration said Monday.

There are now 24 airports with the walkthrough machines, which puff air onto a person to dislodge tiny particles from skin and clothing. The machine sucks up the particles and then analyzes them for traces of explosives.

One of the biggest weaknesses in U.S. airport security has been the limited ability to detect bombs on passengers. Government screeners have relied largely on patdowns, which are unpopular, time-consuming and incomplete.

In contrast, a puffer machine takes 17 seconds to check a passenger and can analyze particles as small as one-billionth of a gram.

"It's more comprehensive and more accurate and it limits the number of patdowns," said TSA spokesman Darrin Kayser.

Puffer machines were installed Monday at Washington's Dulles International and Reagan National airports.

Full article:  
 http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/01/10/airport.security.ap/index.html

Che

Re: Next time through IAD or DCA - you could get puffed!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 03:32:00 pm »
My Girlfriend and I got "Puffed" by that machine coming into IAD from the Tampa aiport.  We had no idea what was going on but its a pretty cool machine, doesnt take too long.

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 03:36:00 pm »
That swab thing never worked either.

Pre 9/11, I had my laptop test positive for explosives one time through National and I've never even shot a gun in my life.  Missed my flight, was interrogated for an hour and they opened all my luggage, including my Xmas packages.

So I used rubbing alcohol to wipe the laptop down, made it past security in OC, Dulles, LAX and Chicago.  Next time through National, it came up positive again.  I stopped travelling with that laptop.
27>34

ggw

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 03:54:00 pm »
Will I still be able to carry ganja?

vansmack

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 03:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Will I still be able to carry ganja?
Ask Rex Hudler.
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 04:24:00 pm »
i saw one in san juan international last week ... i've never been in a security line that was more "amateur hour" than in san juan, even internationally, so fucking frustrating
(o|o)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 04:26:00 pm »
Does this puffer machine actually go "puff?"  I'm picturing something like that machine eye doctors use, you know the one where you look into a bright blue light and it shoots a puff of air into your eye.
_\|/_

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 04:28:00 pm »
I wear a Gap "puffer" coat on cold days. Best $50 I ever spent. Though I call it a "puffy" not a "puffer".

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 04:45:00 pm »
Rhett "Puffy" Miller?
_\|/_

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 04:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by Doctor Mood:
  Does this puffer machine actually go "puff?"  I'm picturing something like that machine eye doctors use, you know the one where you look into a bright blue light and it shoots a puff of air into your eye.
yeah, i could hear it from 15-20 ft away
(o|o)