Author Topic: Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones  (Read 1496 times)

ggw

Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones
« on: January 11, 2006, 04:13:00 pm »
Anyone use these?

Are they really all that?

sonickteam2

Re: Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 04:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Anyone use these?

what???

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 04:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Anyone use these?

I've got them.  They are great for airplane trips.  In fact, that's really what they're made for -- they work best at cancelling steady-pitched droning noises, not so good at the random noise you get when you're not on a plane.

They're really good-quality headphones anyway, so they'll sound great anywhere.  But the $300 you're paying is for the noise-cancelling circuitry, and that really only becomes worthwhile on a plane.  If you travel a lot, they're totally worth it.
_\|/_

ggw

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 04:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by Doctor Mood:
  I've got them.  They are great for airplane trips.  In fact, that's really what they're made for -- they work best at cancelling steady-pitched droning noises, not so good at the random noise you get when you're not on a plane.

If you travel a lot, they're totally worth it.
Thanks.  That's exactly what I would use them for.

I assume the person in the seat next to you can't hear your music?

• my blog
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 05:06:00 pm »
No, they can't.  Actually, one of the really nice things about them is they cut the background noise down so much that you no longer have to crank the sound way up in order to hear stuff.

By the way, there are some cheaper models out there, like Sennheiser -- I tried 'em, and it's not the same.  Go for the Bose.
_\|/_

helicon1

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 05:17:00 pm »
If you are a fan of earbuds, the e2C's by Shure are great. Like the Bose, they are noise cancelling and unless you have them cranked (which you shouldn't) no one around can hear the music. They aren't bulky and look very discreet when worn. The ONLY drawback is there is a break-in period and you have to get used to placing them in your ears. (it comes with multiple sleeves and bud-types so you should find one that fit.) Bass response could be just a tad better but it has great stereo seperation.

BTW, I took these on a plane trip to Houston and could not hear one shred of noise coming from the engines or the captain's announcement about the emergency landing.

amazon link

ggw

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 05:29:00 pm »
I have a pair of the E2c's and the sound is excellent, but I've never been able to get a great fit.  After a couple of hours my ears hurt -- not from the noise, but from the way they fit.  I've tried the various sleeves to no avail.

• my blog
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 06:05:00 pm »
The Bose 'phones are bulky, but there is just no way earbuds are ever going to be as good at keeping out noise as headphones that totally cover your ear.  When you put the Boses on it's like being inside a cathedral.

I had that painful-ear problem with the Sennheisers too.  I'm no engineer, but the way noise-cancelling headphones work is they send out a sound wave that is exactly the opposite of the sound they are cancelling, resulting in a flat wave.  But that still means that it is blasting energy into your ear, and the bigger the noise that is cancelled, the stronger the cancelling wave must be.  That's why I think non-covering headphones create more pressure in your ear than ones like the Bose.
_\|/_

slappy

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 04:07:00 pm »
Shure E2c's are 'sound isolating' not 'noise cancelling'. (No noise cancelling waves are produced.) You can now order softer flex sleeves from the Shure website. They're much more comfortable than the clear ones that come with the package.

serickson98

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 04:17:00 pm »
Check these out too.  They're expensive, but they will save you from going deaf:

Etymotic Research ER 4