Author Topic: Son Volt DJ set  (Read 2391 times)

twangirl

Son Volt DJ set
« on: October 22, 2005, 07:31:00 pm »
Dream Syndicate â?¢ The Medicine Show
 Rob Jungklas â?¢ Hell & Helena
 Grant Lee Buffalo â?¢ Lone Star Song
 Thin White Rope â?¢ Wet Heart
 CC Adcock â?¢ Stealin' All Day
 Alejandro Escovedo â?¢ Everybody Loves Me
 Lucinda Williams â?¢ Changed the Locks
 Jon Dee Graham â?¢ Lonesome Valley
 Ryan Adams â?¢ This House is Not for Sale
 Badfinger â?¢ Baby Blue
 Last Train Home â?¢ Matchbook Message
 Robbie Fulks â?¢ It's Always Raining Somewhere
 Porter Wagoner â?¢ Midnight
 Varnaline â?¢ Northern Lights
 16 Horsepower â?¢ Brimstone Rock
 Mary Gauthier â?¢ Wheel Inside the Wheel

---Fruit Bats---

The Band â?¢ Don't Do It
 Black Rebel Motorcycle Club â?¢ 1st song off Howl, forget the name
 Blind Boys of Alabama â?¢ [Jesus Hits Like the] Atom Bomb
 Los Super Seven w/ Delbert McClinton â?¢ I Live the Life I Love
 Alejandro Escovedo â?¢ Crooked Frame
 they took over the music until Son Volt went on

---Son Volt---

Long Ryders â?¢ Run Dusty Run
 Rodney Crowell â?¢ Obscenity Prayer
 Rank & File â?¢ Rank & File
 Jim Lauderdale/Ralph Stanley â?¢ Zacchaeus
 The Backsliders â?¢ Abe Lincoln

Re: Son Volt DJ set
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 12:44:00 pm »
The setlist looks nice. How was the actual Son Volt show?

ratioci nation

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 12:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Xavier Bush, Power Forward:
  The setlist looks nice. How was the actual Son Volt show?
my friend who went said it was very good, but he also said the fruit bats suck, so screw him

renton007

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 01:13:00 pm »
Just a few thoughts:

For someone who is a fan and has never seen them live I thought the show was great.  They perfectly replicated their studio sound, meaning Jay's voice sounded as natural live as in the studio.  I believe they have a new lineup, if so I wasn't able to discern much difference from the orginal.  They seemed to play together nicely.

While none of the members have much 'stage presence', save the bass player, this isn't a bad thing.  I didn't expect them to do much more than play their set list.

Set list was heavy with tunes from Okemah.  I definatley remember Bandages and Scars, Endless War, 6 Sting Belief, and Gramaphone.  I'm sure there was more.  There were at least 5 songs from Trace: Live Free, Tear Stained Eye, Drown, Lose String.

I left during the encore which included Windfalls.  I would have liked to have heard Ipecac. Maybe it was in the encore.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 02:37:00 pm »
Post review:

The harder the times, the harder the rock: Unhappiness with the recent direction his career and his country have taken seemed to electrify Jay Farrar and Son Volt at the 9:30 club Friday.

Much of the music Farrar has made since the 1994 breakup of his storied ex-band, Uncle Tupelo, has been lyrically obtuse and musically boring. His solo career was eating into the supply of goodwill Farrar built up while with Tupelo and in the early days of his subsequent project, Son Volt, which disbanded in 2000 and has recently re-formed.

Van Gogh, Drawn Out
 Well, Incluuuude Him: Martin Joins Twain Pantheon
 Hints From Heloise
 Brian Jungen's Masks Reconsider 'Native' Crafts From the Insole Out
 The Village Voice's No-Alternative News: Corporate Takeover
 Style Section

But Farrar apparently wants to change course. "Words of Woody Guthrie ringing in my head," he sang on "Bandages & Scars," a song from Son Volt's latest CD, "Okemah and the Melody of Riot" that announces his new, comprehension-friendly agenda. (Okemah, Okla., is Guthrie's birthplace.) Farrar devoted much of the quintet's two-hour set to songs off the disc, and most were as easy to decipher as "This Land Is Your Land." And just as politically motivated: The mocking "Jet Pilot" targeted George W. Bush's National Guard stint, while "6 String Belief" updated the "This machine kills fascists" message Guthrie used to proclaim on his guitar. "A grass-roots insurrection will bring them down!" Farrar sang over guitars as fuzzy and loud as he's ever played. His lefty leanings were revealed again with a cover of the Clash's anthem "Armagideon Time."

But even when words failed him, Farrar's rock instincts were chillingly great. He wailed "ooooh ooooh oooh oooh oooh" over power chords on "Who," a tune as lyrically incomprehensible and melodically irresistible as anything on REM's "Murmur." In some past area performances Farrar has exuded all the personality of a palace guard. But on this night he delivered old Volt (including "Drown" and "Tear-Stained Eye") and Tupelo nuggets ("Chickamauga") with a vintage lack of restraint. He's back.

mekmad

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 01:02:00 am »
The show was broadcast on NPR:
 http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4961968

Can anyone recommend a good program to capture audio?

freddyadu

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 12:01:00 pm »
I was disappointed in the show.  It seemed more like the Jay Farrar Band, rather than Son Volt.  In their glory days (late 90s), Son Volt was my favorite band.  During those times, they brought out the pedal steel, banjo, fiddle, etc. to really capture the sound on one of the greatest albums ever: Trace.  I really cannot get into the new songs, but hearing some of the SV early songs were better than nothing.