Author Topic: Old 97s on tv commercial  (Read 2647 times)

tenpercenter

Old 97s on tv commercial
« on: August 06, 2004, 10:47:00 am »
last night this commercial came on and was playing the old 97s song "question." i'm sorry but i can't stand that song. so as they were showing a couple frolicking on the beach i was pondering stabbing myself in the eye with the fork that was sitting on the coffee table. but luckily the commercial changed. at the end, the couple was about to hop into the cab. the girl got in first and then the guy slams the door shut on her and pounds on the cab twice to signal to the cabby to go. he then looks up at a billboard that was for "Madden 2005" the video game and has a moment of serenity. the first 25 seconds of that commercial are pretty lethal, but i can't wait to see it again.

brennser

Re: Old 97s on tv commercial
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 11:05:00 am »
i'm sorry but i can't stand that song.  
why? I quite like it - in general I can't understand the animosity directed towards Satellite Rides - I think its a great album

tenpercenter

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 11:44:00 am »
Originally posted by brennser:

i'm sorry but i can't stand that song.  
why? I quite like it - in general I can't understand the animosity directed towards Satellite Rides - I think its a great album [/b]
to be honest i liked that song when i first heard it. then i realized that there are so many aspects of it that are extremely irritating -- mainly the words, miller's voice, and the image i get of him singing the song. and combined with cheezy shots of an abercrombie couple frolicking on the beach it was a little much for me to handle.
 just curious, would a rhett miller fan be upset that this song is on a commercial for a Madden video game?

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 11:50:00 am »
I'm not crazy about any song I like (or dislike) being used to shill products. I'm not familiar with what Madden football is, but it sounds like a rather innocuous product. Better that than when GW Bush used "Time Bomb" in his first campaign (I think the 97's made him stop)...though GW is a Timebomb, so it was fitting.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 12:12:00 pm »
And I think the words to "Question" are lovely.

markie

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 12:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I'm not crazy about any song I like (or dislike) being used to shill products.  
Really?

I kind of like the thought that bands I like might get some mainstram exposure and a payday. Of course if you are already mainstream and have enough exposure I would view it as selling out.

Mostly I find it odd that music used in ads or segues on MTV is better than the music that gets played on the radio and MTV.

I like the song too.

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 12:36:00 pm »
Warning: long article

We're sold on their songs

But these mega-musicians still won't grant their tunes to grace advertising. Too bad.

By Brian Truitt

Picture this: A man breaks his wife's favorite antique vase. In a panic, he rushes to the kitchen to grab the Krazy Glue and avoid his love's potential wrath. But he inadvertently attaches his palm to the vase, and as a forlorn expression comes over his face, you hear Bono crooning the U2 song "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of".

It's a great idea for a television advertisement. But companies wanting to use a U2 tune still haven't found what they're looking for. The only way you'll ever hear one of the group's songs in an ad is in your imagination.

At a time when new bands are fighting to get their tracks in ads and established performers like Moby and the Who are licensing their music, U2 is on a short but notable list of groups -- including the likes of Beck, Radiohead, the Beastie Boys and R.E.M. -- that don't allow their music to be used in commercials.

"In this climate, where a lot of people are selling songs, you notice the holdouts much more, because they're fewer and farther between," says Beth Urdang, music supervisor at Agoraphone Music Direction, a New York-based company that works with ad agencies to match music to commercials.

Some bands are getting hip to pitching products, but there's still a strong "selling out" stigma attached. And there's good reason for such thinking: Many people probably still think of Sunkist when they hear the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations". It essentially became a jingle, and Urdang says some artists may worry that their music could become synonymous with an ad or a product.

"Bands like U2 and R.E.M. are being cautious about ... a worldwide reputation," says Urdang, a former Wieden & Kennedy ad executive who collaborated on the 1998 Nike ad that put the Verve's hummable "Bitter Sweet Symphony" in the heads of millions of TV viewers. "These songs are not meaningful to a small coterie in their hometown; they're meaningful to the whole world, and it must be a difficult choice to think about changing the meaning of [a] song."

So how can one please a client who's dead-set on using an unattainable song? It's up to ad agency music producers to find a band that matches the better-known artist's iconic sound, although "it's just not as simple as 'X replaces Y,' " Urdang says. One of her clients once wanted a song with the Beastie Boys' energy, so she recommended Plastilina Mosh; their song was used in a Palm TV spot. When U2 is requested, the go-to groups for an anthemic sound are French electronica duo Air -- whose songs have been featured in commercials for Levi's and L'Oreal -- and the Doves.

Rich Bologna, former music director at Fallon advertising in Minneapolis, which won this year's Clio Award for Agency of the Year, says finding a lesser-known artist means fewer headaches. "For a lot of labels, this is a vehicle to get their music out there in an unorthodox media," Bologna says. "And you don't have to shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars for the new Britney Spears track if you have some good music that's more reasonable and more underground."

But some smaller bands emulate their more famous peers and balk when an agency requests to use a track. Belle & Sebastian, a Scottish folk-pop septet on Rough Trade Records, turned down a Gap ad; Matador Records' Yo La Tengo also doesn't allow its recorded music to be used for commercials but is game for writing original music for ads, as they did for four recent animated Starbucks commercials created by Fallon-New York.

"I'm very proud of my bands," says Lyle Hysen, head of the film and TV department at Matador. "They're a finicky bunch, and if they don't want to do the spot, they won't do it. ... But now, I think bands see and hear other bands on TV and getting paid, and they want to be a part of that, too."

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 12:39:00 pm »
If I were a musician, my approach would be simliar to that of Yo La Tengo. I wouldn't be averse to writing a jigle for money, but I wouldn't want one of my songs turned into an advertising jingle.

vansmack

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 12:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by tenpercenter:
  at the end, the couple was about to hop into the cab. the girl got in first and then the guy slams the door shut on her and pounds on the cab twice to signal to the cabby to go. he then looks up at a billboard that was for "Madden 2005" the video game and has a moment of serenity. the first 25 seconds of that commercial are pretty lethal, but i can't wait to see it again.
I thought the commercial was great.  So great that I had it in 2x speed on the TiVo the first time and had to go back and watch it in real time.  Smackette laughed too.  

There was a song playing?
27>34

tenpercenter

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 02:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by tenpercenter:
  at the end, the couple was about to hop into the cab. the girl got in first and then the guy slams the door shut on her and pounds on the cab twice to signal to the cabby to go. he then looks up at a billboard that was for "Madden 2005" the video game and has a moment of serenity. the first 25 seconds of that commercial are pretty lethal, but i can't wait to see it again.
I thought the commercial was great.  So great that I had it in 2x speed on the TiVo the first time and had to go back and watch it in real time.  Smackette laughed too.  

There was a song playing? [/b]
don't get me wrong. i love that commercial and i think they made great use of that sappy old 97s song.
 so yeah, there was a song playing which is what made it such an emotional roller coaster for me. its my favorite commercial right now since the quiznos one.
 if anyone knows of anyway to get a hold of it please let me know.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 10:29:00 am »
whilst on vacation last week, a budweiser commercial came on featuring the musical talents of luna. . .but it was a song i did not recognize, so either it is off of the new album, or it's actually from the dean and britta album.  anyway, found it funny to hear a luna song on a budweiser commercial. . i guess they gotta make money somehow.
OU812