Author Topic: Fleshtones Friday  (Read 2352 times)

Bags

Fleshtones Friday
« on: October 25, 2005, 11:18:00 am »
Hey all, I highly recommend this show at Iota this Friday, Oct 28.  It is, truly, a party.

The Fleshtones are one of the best examples of a band that managed to recycle a sound of the past for a newer generation. They did so by filtering the early rock'n'roll sound from the 50s and 60s through the punk approach of their time; thus forging songs that somehow sounded more current and involving than most of the "new" music of the 80s. - By Piero Scaruffi

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

FLESHTONES
 14 June 2003: Double Door â?? Chicago  
 by Charlotte Robinson, PopMatters

A mere novice, I've only seen the Fleshtones three times, but I'm fairly confident that they never disappoint. Take, for instance, my first Fleshtones show, at Detroit's Magic Stick. It was the fourth of July weekend and only about 15 people showed up, but the NYC foursome played as though they were at a raucous house party with their best friends, hauling mics and instruments out onto the dance floor, jumping on tables, and generally having a great time. After nearly 30 years of playing what they call "Super Rock" -- music that owes a debt to '60s garage rock but doesn't slavishly imitate it -- the Fleshtones know a thing or two about getting a party started. The biggest challenge the band faced during its latest visit to Chicago wasn't one of firing up a small crowd (turnout was strong even if the place wasn't packed), but of trying to connect with the audience on a personal level at a venue that precluded it, and they fared well.

Original members Peter Zaremba (vocals, organ, harmonica), Keith Streng (guitar, vocals), and Bill Milhizer (drums), along with mid-'80s recruit Ken Fox (bass) are riding high on a strong new album, Do You Swing? (Yep Roc), so maybe it's appropriate they played the larger Double Door and not the Empty Bottle as they did last time they swung through town. Even if more people were able to attend, though, the Double Door was less suitable for the Fleshtones' audience-inclusive shenanigans. As usual, everyone except Milhizer headed into the crowd at some point to play, dance, and whisper God knows what to the audience, but those who were standing behind sound equipment at the back of large room or had their vision blocked by poles missed out. Still, the band did its best to get everyone involved in the raucous fun.

The fellows got things started with "New Scene" from 1983's heralded Hexbreaker album. Personally, I would pay good money just to watch them perform that great album in its entirety, so I was excited that they started with such a bang, but was disappointed when no other Hexbreaker material surfaced during the set. It's no doubt a difficult job to choose a set list when your recording career covers nearly 25 years, and to their credit, the Fleshtones have dug far back in their catalog and come up with a different set list each time I've seen them. Highlights this time around included "I'm Not a Sissy" and "Theme from 'The Vindicators'", on which they were joined on Farfisa by a member of opening band the Cynics, with whom they also had to share a drum kit thanks to a goof-up by their equipment rental company. The band also expectedly hit on several songs from the new album, including "Destination Greenpoint", "Right on Woman", and the title track, but not their excellent cover of Led Zeppelin's "Communication Breakdown" -- perhaps because it would shred the hell out of Streng's voice?

What never ceases to amaze me about the Fleshtones is how they can put on a fun, fresh show night after night in city after city. They watch the opening bands, they drink (at one point, Zaremba was taking a swig of anything he was handed), they dance, they hop on top of the bar, they perform synchronized movements and their patented "Power Stance", and they sometimes smile when they're wandering through the crowd pre-show and don't even know you're watching them. You know the Old Navy slogan "Shopping is fun again"? Well, each time the Fleshtones breeze through town rock 'n' roll is fun again.

â?? 24 June 2003

Bombay Chutney

Re: Fleshtones Friday
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 12:34:00 pm »
So. Very. Excited.   The Fleshtones are just one big party.  Can't wait.

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 04:55:00 pm »
Haven't missed them here in years!.....Bring the "Super Rock"!........

Arlette

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 09:03:00 pm »
Oh my.  Didn't know about this.  Must find a way to be there.

Bags

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 10:58:00 am »
Originally posted by Jonas Grumby:
  Haven't missed them here in years!
Then we've been at the Iota shows together...I'll be there dancing dancing dancing.  You can just yell out Bags before the band starts.  I'll put down my beer (maybe) and say hi.    ;)

Bags

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 12:04:00 pm »
Arlette and Grumbly, I'm gonna have a huge pink watch on (still don't know what shirt to wear...).  And I'll have a bourbon & ginger ale in my hand.   ;)

Bags

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 12:05:00 pm »
I'm going to be okay showing up about 9:00, aren't I???  (And can I push it to 9:30 -- Fleshtones don't usually sell out, but it's a Friday at Iota...).

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 12:36:00 pm »
I'm gonna be clothed.........other than that,don't know what I'll be wearing......and I'll have a Makers and Coke in hand and one of those fine Harpoon IPA's for an appetizer!.....gonna arrive at the stroke of 9:30......should be ok,even on a friday night!...openers are The Kissers?

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 11:42:00 pm »
The Kissers and The Fleshtones

A potent twin-bill at Iota on Friday night delivered on its promise of high-energy exuberance. For openers, the Kissers, a young five-piece Irish band from, of all places, Madison, Wis., put across a set of dynamic Celtic-influenced rock. Led by singer-bassist Ken Fitzsimmons, whose lyrical earnestness (in keeping with Irish tradition he writes serious songs about love and war) couldn't dampen the fun of the music, the Kissers displayed ample improvement over their debut visit last year despite being down two members.

Propelled by Pete Colclasure's accordion and keyboard, Joe Bernstein's martial-paced drumming, Waylan Nate Palan's electric guitar and the show-in-itself sight and sound of the impossibly cute Kari Bethke's fiddling, the Kissers give music fans a reason to watch the schedule for the next appearance.

The house was suitably warmed up for the Fleshtones, New York's standard-bearer of garage rock, a raw combination of soul, rhythm and blues and hard rock. The cult band's first song, "Hard Lovin' Man," was played with all the passion of the encore, "American Beat," more than an hour later. In between there was mucho mirth to be had.

Twenty minutes into the show guitarist Keith Streng and bassist Ken Fox were playing on top of the bar, with singer Peter Zaremba dancing the twist and drummer Bill Milhizer keeping a furious beat on stage. The energy level rose even higher with the addition of guest guitarist Paul "Peppermint" Johnson from the Master Plan (a side project with Streng and Milhizer and the Dictators' Andy Shernoff); Johnson ripped through two songs with impressive skill and undeniable glee, creating multi-layered sonic mayhem with high-kicking Streng as his henchman.

"He's family," Zaremba said when Johnson was all-too-soon finished. The declaration had the ring of handing the baton to the next generation, and for garage rock fans, that was good news indeed.

-- Buzz McClain