Author Topic: tanya donelly  (Read 1149 times)

petey

tanya donelly
« on: August 11, 2004, 09:13:00 am »
does anyone know if she will be playing the dc area soon   let me know

rigsby

Re: tanya donelly
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 09:25:00 am »
erm no plans, maybe boston, looks like she wont tour much with this release, no promotion, only some of her fans know of its release.

Bags

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 09:43:00 am »
Originally posted by rigsby:
 only some of her fans know of its release.
Only some of her fans and quite a few  magazines and newspapers......

Bags

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 09:53:00 am »
And in fact, she shows up in the Washington Post today!  Sounds to me that, if she does hit DC, it will be at the Sushmere.

Quick Spins
 Wednesday, August 11, 2004; Page C05

Quick Spins, Washington Post
 Wednesday, August 11

WHISKEY TANGO GHOSTS

Tanya Donelly

Move over, Norah Jones and Alicia Keys: Tanya Donelly, indie royalty for a couple of decades, is upping the adult-vocal ante. While her confidently rendered yet delicately beautiful collection of songs is too friendly to kick the younger songstresses to the curb, it shows the benefits of experience over youth.

Right off the bat, as Donelly intones over gentle piano chords, "I have lost something on the way, and I can't explain," she lets simple description and rich vocals carry the themes of "Divine Sweet Divide." Tension between the ethereal and the mundane creates the album's exquisitely evocative mood.

Donelly often employs magical imagery, in these songs and elsewhere, but it's the earthly descriptiveness of "My Life as a Ghost" that makes the song's title line so eerie. The album bears no producer credits, but whatever powers were involved placed Donelly's light soprano high in the musical mix, with any waiflike frailty superseded by a mature sound and attitude. Over its course, as its tracks become more instrumentally complex, the musical effect is somewhat blunted; by Track 8, "Golden Mean," the brushy percussion and shimmery guitars sound a little like Coldplay -- and a little cold. But the tense vocals, jangly guitars and hand percussion in an almost baroque arrangement of "Story High" remind the listener that Donelly has breadth as well as depth. She's a chanteuse for the ages.

-- Pamela Murray Winters

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 10:03:00 am »
Rachel Goswell is opening for her on this tour.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 10:50:00 am »
Originally posted by Member 656:
ahhhhhhhh, rachel goswell.
OU812

rigsby

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 01:46:00 pm »
:o

petey

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 12:24:00 pm »
oohh  i do hope tanya comes  i read in the slumberland message board  her set list    common  u cant go wrong when she plays het ol muses songs,   dragon head and honeychain   oohhh

i wonder if rachel will play any old slowdive

also on the tanya fromt  there is a show sokmetime in aug im bellows falls vt   (home of fort apache)  where she will be recording her new album  LIVE infront of an awdience   ooohh  i cant wait

Venerable Bede

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 12:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by pete c.:
  oohh  i do hope tanya comes  i read in the slumberland message board  her set list    common  u cant go wrong when she plays het ol muses songs,   dragon head and honeychain   oohhh

i wonder if rachel will play any old slowdive

also on the tanya fromt  there is a show sokmetime in aug im bellows falls vt   (home of fort apache)  where she will be recording her new album  LIVE infront of an awdience   ooohh  i cant wait
oooh, my head hurts. . punctuation/spelling please.   :)

as for old slowdive. . .i think neil plays one or two songs when he tours, but i can't remember mojave 3 playing slowdive songs.
OU812

Jaguär

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 11:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by Member 656:
THAT'S where I read of her playing somewhere! (It was bugging me as I was reading down knowing I read about Tanya touring somewhere.)

Personally, I don't care about Tanya Donelly but would absolutely LOVE to see Rachel Goswell. I'm hoping she comes here as her tour is very small so far and there's still hope. I have her newest CD and it's quite lovely.