« on: August 27, 2005, 05:30:00 pm »
Pollstar:  Revving up the Cars

Does anyone still care?

beetsnotbeats

Re: Cars
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 07:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by ChampionshipVinyl:

Does anyone still care?
Ric Ocasek is managed by Elliot Roberts, but his office would confirm only that Ocasek will release another solo album in September and that he would not be part of any Cars tour if it happened.

Plenty would go see them. But not without Ric.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 12:34:00 am »
plus Benjamin Orr the singer of "Drive" and other hits is no longer on this mortal coil.  Besides the Cars were easily one of the most boring concerts I've ever seen.
T.Rex

ccperkdog

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 01:40:00 pm »
In the 80s revival set I would rather see Howard Jones over the Cars...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 08:41:00 am »
Howard Jones falls in that category of it's better to stay home put on the cd and jiggle the case, then  seeing him live, as not much is added in the live experience.  Sure his keyboard setup rotated and that "performance artist" in the videos was along to gyrate around, it was a pretty dull show... Same applies to Wang Chung.
T.Rex

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 08:49:00 am »
Howard Jones falls into the "Sure, I'll appear on Hit Me Baby One More Time" category...because he did. Neither the Cars (nor Erasure, who was mentioned in a FAQ/Howard Jones question) would stoop to that level. HoJo is not a 9:30-worthy show.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 10:02:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  Howard Jones falls in that category of it's better to stay home put on the cd and jiggle the case, then  seeing him live, as not much is added in the live experience.  Sure his keyboard setup rotated and that "performance artist" in the videos was along to gyrate around, it was a pretty dull show...  
hmmm...I remember seeing HJ open for Eurythmics about a hundred years ago and I thought he was quite good.  Maybe that's because I was expecting so little from him in the first place, but I remember being quite surprised how much fun he was.

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 10:09:00 am »
Well yes his hair was fun, but he's bald now.

Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

Howard Jones falls in that category of it's better to stay home put on the cd and jiggle the case, then  seeing him live, as not much is added in the live experience.  Sure his keyboard setup rotated and that "performance artist" in the videos was along to gyrate around, it was a pretty dull show...  
hmmm...I remember seeing HJ open for Eurythmics about a hundred years ago and I thought he was quite good.  Maybe that's because I was expecting so little from him in the first place, but I remember being quite surprised how much fun he was. [/b]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 10:21:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

hmmm...I remember seeing HJ open for Eurythmics about a hundred years ago and I thought he was quite good.  Maybe that's because I was expecting so little from him in the first place, but I remember being quite surprised how much fun he was. [/b]
probably saw him on the same tour/bill... your right he was good, but i won't feel the need to rush out and see him live especially as the headliner... his material also took a decline in quality past those early singles.
T.Rex