Author Topic: 9:30 Club Concert Archives?  (Read 7080 times)

Medusa

9:30 Club Concert Archives?
« on: October 14, 2004, 07:50:00 pm »
Hello all -

Is there a web site somewhere that lists all of the bands that have played at the 9:30 Club over the years (listing dates, opening acts, etc.)?

I am having trouble remembering some of the acts I saw many years back at the (old) 9:30 Club.  I used to write down all of the gigs I went to (including the opening bands, even if I wasn't there to see them) but alas the list has gone missing ...

If anyone knows of such an information repository for the club, please post!  Thanks.   :)  

P.S.  What happened to all of the live footage that used to be taken?  I remember in the (old) 9:30 Club looking up at that person somewhat precariously sitting on the chair above the crowd, filming whoever was on stage.

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

Darth Ed

Re: 9:30 Club Concert Archives?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 03:00:00 am »
Man, I wish there was a 9:30 Club archive. A couple years ago, I spent two days tracking down the dates and opening bands of all the concerts I've ever attended. For a lot of them, I used www.archive.org to look up the 930.com schedule page. It's kind of fun to see who was playing at the 9:30 Club back in 1996 or whenever. Unfortunately, www.archive.org isn't even close to being a complete archive. There are long gaps between when it scanned 930.com. For example, I still haven't been able to find out who opened for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds on 1998/09/09. For some concerts, I had to do a lot of Googling using the performer, the venue, and the year as search terms to try to find some record of it. If you use Google, make sure you search the newsgroups as well as doing a Web search.

brennser

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 07:44:00 am »
For example, I still haven't been able to find out who opened for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds on 1998/09/09.
was it the Gunga Din?

helicon1

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 09:09:00 am »
I thought the 9:30 Club publishes a list of bands who played on the anniversary date of the location change to V Street each year. I think I've seen it in the City Paper a few years back.

thirsty moore

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 09:12:00 am »
Yes! They sounded like a goth B-52's.  

Originally posted by brennser:
 was it the Gunga Din?

edbert

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 10:11:00 am »
The Borderline in London has their complete show history posted along their entrance hallway- it's kind of interesting to look at.  
 Is there any local library with old City Paper/Unicorn Times issues available?

Darth Ed

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 10:23:00 am »
Originally posted by brennser:
 was it the Gunga Din?
Yeah, that name rings a bell. I couldn't find much Google evidence of it though, but they NC&tBS did play New York the day before the 9:30 Club gig and the Gunga Din were a New York-based group. Plus I found this Amazon.com page which says they opened for Nick Cave in New York and Washington, so I think the mystery is solved. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000I6IX/
 http://home.iae.nl/users/maes/cave/live/ncbs90.html#98.2

eltee

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 03:02:00 pm »
direct link: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.930.com
 I have some show listings I plan to archive at some point and then find someone to host the list.
Originally posted by Darth Ed:
  Man, I wish there was a 9:30 Club archive. A couple years ago, I spent two days tracking down the dates and opening bands of all the concerts I've ever attended. For a lot of them, I used www.archive.org to look up the 930.com schedule page. It's kind of fun to see who was playing at the 9:30 Club back in 1996 or whenever. Unfortunately, www.archive.org isn't even close to being a complete archive. There are long gaps between when it scanned 930.com. For example, I still haven't been able to find out who opened for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds on 1998/09/09. For some concerts, I had to do a lot of Googling using the performer, the venue, and the year as search terms to try to find some record of it. If you use Google, make sure you search the newsgroups as well as doing a Web search.

bearman🐻

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 03:11:00 pm »
I never thought those shows at the old club were really videotaped. I always thought that it was for the crowded shows so that people way in back could sort of see what was going on if they looked at the video monitors. Or were they really being recorded?

brennser

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 03:56:00 pm »
I think this has come up before and the answer was they were not being recorded - it was just a live feed

Originally posted by bunnyman:
  I never thought those shows at the old club were really videotaped. I always thought that it was for the crowded shows so that people way in back could sort of see what was going on if they looked at the video monitors. Or were they really being recorded?

twangirl

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 04:02:00 pm »
The shows at the old 930 were not being recorded, it was a live video feed to help people see the bands. On occasion, the band would request that their show be recorded, so they would give us the cost of the blank tape which was given to them after the show. What they got was whatever our video person shot.

saco

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 04:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by twangirl:
  The shows at the old 930 were not being recorded, it was a live video feed to help people see the bands. On occasion, the band would request that their show be recorded, so they would give us the cost of the blank tape which was given to them after the show. What they got was whatever our video person shot.
Thats just what John Ascroft told you to say.

Sir HC

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 04:10:00 pm »
Still remember being in the basement or back bar waiting for an opener who was a real groaner to go off.  You could tell what was going on with that camera even when you were out of good hearing range.