Author Topic: Arctic Monkeys open for QOTSA  (Read 1333 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Arctic Monkeys open for QOTSA
« on: September 20, 2007, 03:39:00 am »
Arctic Monkeys played a shock hour-long support slot at a Queens Of The Stone Age gig in Houston, Texas yesterday (September 17).

With QOTSA's regular support bands Howlin' Blue and Dax Riggs not available for the gig at the Verizon Wireless Theatre, Alex Turner's troupe were able to play for an hour to a surprised crowd.

In tribute to the Sheffield group's performance, QOTSA front-man Josh Homme later changed some of the lyrics of his band's song, 'Feel Good Hit Of The Summer', quoting Arctic Monkeys' 'I Bet You Good Look Good On The Dance Floor'.

Turner was in a similarly playful mood during his own band's set, comparing one audience member to TV soap opera Coronations Street's Curly Watts.

After the show, Alex Turner revealed to NME.COM what an honour it was to be playing with his heroes Queens Of The Stone Age. He said: "I thoroughly enjoyed it! The Queens were amazing. It would be terrific to do a proper tour with them."

Homme was full of praise for the Arctic Monkeys, telling NME.COM: "Watching them play was my highlight of the whole night. They're a really great live band - they're like a tight little spring, you know? I didn't even get tipsy because I was too busy watching them play!"

I would have shit in my pants and all over everyone around me if I was there. EVERYONE WOULD HAVE BEEN SHIT ON BY ME.
‼‼?‼‼

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Arctic Monkeys open for QOTSA
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 08:13:00 am »
given those closing comments i'm very, very, very glad that dupek isn't here right now.

i hope that that the monkey open for qotsa in nyc  :)
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 08:45:00 am »
arctic monkeys kinda bored me last time they played the club.
(_|_)

bnyced0

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 08:49:00 am »
Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
wow, that scratch was deeper than I thought

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 09:05:00 am »
They were good at Coachella...to console you a little bit.

Originally posted by bnyced0:

wow, that scratch was deeper than I thought [/b]
(_|_)

bearman🐻

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 09:31:00 am »
They didn't bore me, but I was definitely more entertained by how the audience was SO into the show, singing along to every song and dancing like crazy. At least they were near where I was standing. The Arctic Monkeys kind of have the usual "we're British, we don't move, we just come and play our music" kind of attitude. It gets old after a while...Oasis always sounded great live, but watching them was like watching paint dry.

bnyced0

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 09:53:00 am »
  They were good at Coachella...to console you a little bit.

Originally posted by bnyced0:

wow, that scratch was deeper than I thought [/b]
[/b]
I am consoled, and I'm relieved that you've seen a show in the last three years that didn't bore you to tears, was getting a little worried.   ;)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 12:22:00 pm »
First time I saw them they were the same. Great live show, great lights and sound, but they kind of just stand there. But whatever.
‼‼?‼‼

Vas Deferens

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 12:55:00 pm »
I think the problem with the Monkeys is that they play their songs exactly as the album versions...
(_|_)

Samantha

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 01:02:00 pm »
I have never heard the Arctic Monkeys.  what is the big deal? I do not know.  I am sure I will be disappointed.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 01:55:00 pm »
  I think the problem with the Monkeys is that they play their songs exactly as the album versions...
Yeah, there is no improv, they don't really lighten the mood and it's the same set list every single night. They said in an interview during their first U.S. tour that they were so tired of playing the same songs every night. They have tons of b-sides and rarities. But they always seem pretty bored, sadly at the 930 show they played a few months back they were way more into it than the first I saw them.
‼‼?‼‼

reggie

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »
i like how the arctic monkeys announced that gig with queens 6 weeks ago, and the NME writes about it like a "shock performance."