Author Topic: buckner, jurado, dolorean  (Read 1497 times)

chknfngrs

buckner, jurado, dolorean
« on: October 18, 2004, 09:29:00 am »
anyone catch this show Sunday night at the Iota?

ratioci nation

Re: buckner, jurado, dolorean
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 09:39:00 am »
I was trying to remember when this show was as I was listening to the new Dolorean last night, guess that means I missed it

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 09:45:00 am »
Is the new Dolorean appreciably different than the first one? They seem like one of those acts where if I have one of the albums, that's all I would need.

Originally posted by pollard:
  I was trying to remember when this show was as I was listening to the new Dolorean last night, guess that means I missed it

ratioci nation

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 09:53:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Is the new Dolorean appreciably different than the first one? They seem like one of those acts where if I have one of the albums, that's all I would need.
no it is not very different, but still enjoyable

chknfngrs

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 10:05:00 am »
I can't help but  hope that their new one is different, the first is somewhat drabby at times.

I was interested to see Jurado, who is also drabby at times but one of those people in my opinion who play b/c they can, not b/c of the $$.

same with Buckner.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 10:15:00 am »
I have seen both Buckner and Jurado, and feel like their drabbiness works for me on record, but not live.

Have not seen Dolorean, though their drabbiness works for me on record.

Originally posted by chknfngrs:
  I can't help but  hope that their new one is different, the first is somewhat drabby at times.

I was interested to see Jurado, who is also drabby at times but one of those people in my opinion who play b/c they can, not b/c of the $$.

same with Buckner.

ratioci nation

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 10:20:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I have seen both Buckner and Jurado, and feel like their drabbiness works for me on record, but not live.

ditto, but I would have considered giving them another chance seeing how all 3 artists were ones I enjoy on record

BookerT

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 10:26:00 am »
i was there. it was pretty drabby. actually, not too much. dolorean didn't do too much for me, sort of a less interesting radar bros. pleasant enough, but eh. rather enjoyed damien jurado's set. he was playing acoustic guitar and did a few with someone on electric, a few quieter ones with a bassist (the singer from dolorean) and a drummer, and a couple more rockin' ones with the full band. that kept things from getting too monotonous. most of the songs are pretty concise too, solid stuff. i only stuck around for the first half hour or so of buckner's set. i've seen him plenty of times and he's at iota every other week it seems. it was one of his "experimental" shows as there was always some guitar buzz or something percolating, no silence in between tunes. i left a little after 11 to get home and catch the end of the yankees/sox game. little that i know that my evening was really just beginning.

chknfngrs

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 10:48:00 am »
glad to know it. The "threat" of seeing a band perform live that sounds great on record is the "struggle" we as the appreciators deal with on a regular basis. Finding out a band that sounds great on record but is the definition of boring live is the worst discovery ever.

Like Brian Wilson.