Author Topic: GODZILLA!!!  (Read 1326 times)

Sir HC

GODZILLA!!!
« on: January 14, 2005, 11:14:00 am »
They had the original Japanese version (not the hacked no nukes american bastardization) at the Charles last night.  Anyone else go.  Was pretty impressive for 1954.  Loved the "Oxygen Destroyer" weapon.

Re: GODZILLA!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 04:03:00 pm »
There was a Japanese monster weekend recently at The Patterson.   Have you ever been to that theater?

shoot ur shot

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 07:23:00 pm »
I used to love going to the charles. Baltimore hasn't quite been the same since O'Malley became Mayor, for whatever reason.. doesn't quite have the same charm. Sure, crime is down but so many cool places (atomic books, orpheum, microcinefest, etc) have lost significant business or went out of business altogether due to the lame construction plans that are still taking forever to accomplish.

Jaguär

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 08:11:00 pm »
I'm in no way an O'Malley fan but Baltimore hit the skids way before he was mayor. In fact, the reason he won was because everyone was hoping that he could help turn things around. In all fairness to him, he has an almost impossible job on his hands. I certainly wouldn't want his job in that city! Also, if I'm correct, murders are up. In fact, the local scene is actually getting a tiny bit better since he's been mayor, not that I attribute any of it to him.

Yes, the Charles and the Club Charles across the street use to be great places. Also, the Depot. I stopped attending all of them many, many years ago because crime got so intensely bad in that neighborhood that I was too afraid to walk by myself for several blocks or go back to a vandalized car. I knew of way too much shit that was going down around there back then, often to friends or acquaintances, and figured it was time to get wise and start watching out for myself a little more before I was yet another all too common statistic. Maybe it's gotten a little safer since then but I really doubt it.