Author Topic: howling hex  (Read 997 times)

BookerT

howling hex
« on: March 16, 2007, 03:30:00 pm »
it's clear that many of you go to tons of shows but, man, you should pick some better ones to go to. like last night's howling hex show at iota. that was some psych-jamtastic greatness, oh my. cowbell, saxophone, neil hagerty on baritone guitar, mike saenz reelin' off killer solo after killer solo, chant along singing ... it was a fucking great rock show, lordy.

Re: howling hex
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 03:34:00 pm »
If you wanted us to go to it so bad, why not talk it up before the show rather than after?

jeffnar

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 11:19:00 am »
yeah, heads up next time, damnit! i can't believe i missed that, breezing over the IOTA listings. i've seen royal trux 5 times and rtx once but haven't caught the hex yet. good review in the washington com-post yesterday was first i heard of it.

snailhook

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 05:29:00 am »
man, now i'm really bummed i missed that. i was planning to go, but was feeling totally exhausted from a long work week (publishing deadlines) and convinced myself to be lazy and watch the duke/VCU game instead. the hex doesn't come around here much. i'm 100% sure it was better than RTX.

jeffnar

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 05:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
   the hex doesn't come around here much. i'm 100% sure it was better than RTX.
-----------------

why not much local hex gigs? has haggerty also moved out of virginia to the southwest? as far as rtx, i heard the show here was marred by crowd unrest or somethin' (do tell!), but the show i saw in chapel hill was awesome. the bassist hidden under all that hair was none other than paz from A Perfect Circle, etc. rtx has a new one coming out in stores tomorrow. good shit.

snailhook

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 07:21:00 pm »
regarding RTX, i booked them in december 2004, and jennifer herrema couldn't have been a bigger bitch to the warehouse staff and myself. i'm a pretty big trux fan, and i really wanted to like RTX, but i felt like they played extremely average songs with hackneyed glam-rock riffs. she sounded ok, but her voice worked much better with hagerty's drug-addled riffage. certainly a far cry from cats and dogs.

as for why howling hex doesn't play here more often, i have no idea. i would book them in a heartbeat, and i'm glad iota finally did. BookerT, what was the attendance like?

BookerT

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 11:23:00 am »
sorry i didn't give a pre-show alert. i figured snailhook was the only person that'd be interested and that he'd be there for sure. there obviously weren't that many folks there, maybe 30 or 40, if that? hard to expect much better for that band at iota on a thursday. no spiv, shocking! maybe him and NMH had a falling out or something. howling hex are obvs soooo much better than RTX. like snail said, herrema's act works a lot better w/hagerty.

best line from the post review of the show: "One song title, "Hammer and Bluebird," perfectly captured the Hex's approach: beauty found by repeatedly punching Grand Funk Railroad in the face."