Author Topic: Death Cab Show  (Read 1801 times)

ratioci nation

Death Cab Show
« on: October 21, 2003, 12:48:00 am »
medifuckingocre

J'Mal

Re: Death Cab Show
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 12:52:00 am »
What are you smoking?  That was one smokin' show!!!!!!!

ratioci nation

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 12:57:00 am »
There are only a few songs I really like of theirs anyway, there were some great moments, just not enough of them.  Didn't help that there was a lot of chatter in the crowd and not enough volume from the band.  Transatlanticism (the song) was great though and the Cure and Billy Bragg covers were good as well.

lily1

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 08:30:00 am »
the cure cover was good? oh that was crap. it sounded like they were some college band playing in the frat house's backyard. the rest of the show was very good, but that, oh, i could have done without.

did you all see the opener? the concept was there with the 80's synth pop but the singing was pretty subpar. they need a lot of work polishing their act.

thanks to he who lives near markie and lulu and who's real name starts with "m" but i can't remember your name on here since you've changed it a few times, who let me stand in line with him so i didn't have to wait 40 minutes to get in. at 930pm, the line was down all the way to saint ex and when he, really known as "m", got there at 830pm, the line was all the way down to saint ex!

poorlulu

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 09:41:00 am »
Originally posted by lily1:
   he who lives near markie and lulu  
wow that's an excellent board name....................maybe someone should consider that?.................

brennser

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 09:43:00 am »
which billy bragg song did they cover? anyone going to the billy bragg, steve earle, tom morello show at the end of Nov?

ratioci nation

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 09:55:00 am »
Originally posted by brennser:
  which billy bragg song did they cover?
St. Swithin's Day

lily1

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 01:27:00 pm »
i'm sorry, i just couldn't remember it since he who's real name starts with m has changed it a few times. and i don't post here regularly enough to keep track of everything.  
Originally posted by poorlulu:

[/qb]
wow that's an excellent board name....................maybe someone should consider that?................. [/QB][/QUOTE]

jkeisenh

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2003, 03:09:00 pm »
Gotta say- I like Mates of State, and they're fun in concert.  I think the singing isn't supposed to be perfect and her edgy voice is part of what makes the music great.  Loved them, would have liked it if the line moved fast enough to get me into the show before their set started...

and DCFC?  i have to say, for me, I *heart* their music and their show was great, but the crowd made me want to hurt someone.  Why are you going to drop $12 on a ticket to a sold out show if you're just there to socialize?  It was still a religious experience for me... so glad they ended with all is full of love... happy to hear so much older stuff like company calls, fake frowns, etc.

yea!

ggw

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2003, 09:42:00 am »
Jim?

Death Cab for Cutie: A Little Hackneyed

Wednesday, October 22, 2003; Page C02

Seattle's Death Cab for Cutie emerged four years ago with a hauntingly melodic sound built around elegant guitar lines and singer Jim Gibbard's clever lyrics and melancholy voice. The band's first two albums were as soothing as they were thoughtful, composed of linear, chorus-less songs that nevertheless managed to be catchy. Lately, however, one fears that Death Cab for Cutie is spinning its creative wheels. If the most common complaint about a Death Cab song is that it doesn't really go anywhere, the same could perhaps be said for the band itself.

Some of Death Cab's performance Monday before a sold-out crowd at the Black Cat was enchanting. The band was at its best on "Pictures in an Exhibition" and "The Sound of Settling," two uncharacteristically uplifting rockers with a bright pop purity. A languorous cover of the Cure's "Lovesong" was also a well-executed surprise. But at other times Death Cab seemed uninspired. Recent work has added a sharper edge and some louder guitars to earlier, moody atmospherics.

If anything, the band's songwriting has grown less interesting. New offerings such as "Title and Registration" and "The New Year" lack the fragile grace of the band's earlier work and didn't make for particularly interesting live listening.

The show closed with an extended version of "Blacking Out the Friction" -- another recent track, from 2001's "The Photo Album" -- during which Gibbard's twee lyrical freestyling over a moody keyboard grew a bit tedious. That said, Gibbard and his band mates remain some of the most thoughtful and talented songwriters around. After seeing them live, you just wish they'd do more with it.

-- Michael Crowley

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61903-2003Oct21.html

ratioci nation

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2003, 09:46:00 am »
actually the show closed with the Billy Bragg cover, but they did go straight into it from Blacking Out the Friction

J'Mal

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2003, 07:43:00 pm »
Who's "Jim Gibbard?"

I've always liked those Beatles fellows, you know, Bob McCartney and Joe Lennon....

SPARX

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2003, 12:18:00 pm »
Death Cab, Long Winters and Nada Surf are doing in studio (from NY)
 performances on www.kexp.org today (Thurs) at 2pm PST.