Author Topic: Dog Boarding?  (Read 2748 times)

nkotb

Dog Boarding?
« on: June 08, 2007, 03:39:00 pm »
I'm out of town for a few days at the end of the month, and I need to find a place to keep my pooch while I'm away.  It's totally last minute, but our other option fell through, so now we're a little stuck.

Anyone have any good recommendations in the Northern Virginia area?  I've done just a tiny bit of research, but I'm not really digging what I'm reading.  Of course, my separation from my dog is worse than her's for me, so that's an issue I'll have to deal with.  Still, I don't want her to be just thrown in a cage while I'm away.  Anyone?

Re: Dog Boarding?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 04:03:00 pm »
I picked up a copy of Pet Lovers Companion at our local Metro stop the other day, because I was trying to do some advance planning on this for when we do get a dog in the future. They did have some listings. Here's one I remember off the top of my head. http://www.adogsdayout.com/ I can't remember if I saw any in Alexandria, where I think you've mentioned that you live.

It just got me thinking that I really need to make more friends, so that we can petsit for each others animals when out of town.

nkotb

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »
Thanks, Rhett.  I'll check it out.

We've been lucky to date.  Usually my parents or my wife's mother will watch the pup.  But this time, both happen to be out of town.  

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
 It just got me thinking that I really need to make more friends, so that we can petsit for each others animals when out of town.

aglanixp

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 05:16:00 pm »
http://www.topdogresort.com/

If you have a dog under 25 pounds, these people are awesome.
 They let all the doggies sleep in their bed if they want to.
 The dogs sleep in the house, where they want.
 No kennels.

The lady will give you a Bible lecture if you let her, but the care she will give your dog is worth it.

Expensive.  ish.

Originally posted by nkotb:
  I'm out of town for a few days at the end of the month, and I need to find a place to keep my pooch while I'm away.  It's totally last minute, but our other option fell through, so now we're a little stuck.

Anyone have any good recommendations in the Northern Virginia area?  I've done just a tiny bit of research, but I'm not really digging what I'm reading.  Of course, my separation from my dog is worse than her's for me, so that's an issue I'll have to deal with.  Still, I don't want her to be just thrown in a cage while I'm away.  Anyone?

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »
It's amazing what some of these dog boarding places get around here per day.

My mom lives in upstate NY, and there's a dog boarding place near her that charges $15/day and treats your dog like a king.

sch2383

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 06:00:00 pm »
Old Town Pet Resort (www.oldtownpetresort.com) is rated really high but isn't cheap.

aglanixp

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 06:08:00 pm »
Around 40 dollars a day.

Originally posted by aglanixp:
  http://www.topdogresort.com/  

If you have a dog under 25 pounds, these people are awesome.
 They let all the doggies sleep in their bed if they want to.
 The dogs sleep in the house, where they want.
 No kennels.

The lady will give you a Bible lecture if you let her, but the care she will give your dog is worth it.

Expensive.  ish.

[/b]

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 09:20:00 pm »
I could possibly watch the dog for you.  I love dogs but don't have one.  My last roommate had a beagle but he recently moved back to Seattle. I've got a townhouse in MD with walking trails in the back.  Message me if you want to discuss.
xoxo

IamHydrogen

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 06:14:00 am »
When I lived in VA, I had good experiences with Austin Veterinary Clinic in Annandale for boarding and it was reasonably priced.

Shiverintheshadows

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 08:01:00 am »
My friend swears by Dogtopia In North Bethesda

http://www.dogdaycare.com/k9support.php

Besides Friendship Hosp. for Animals (who no longer board w/o medical reason), the only kennel I've used is Rivermist way in B.F.E., MD.  Brinklow to be precise.  I have been very satisfied with their services but the trek there & back (x2) is arduous.  They will pick up pets for an additional fee.

http://www.rivermistkennels.com/

Make sure all vaccinations are current ASAP.

Relaxer

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 10:22:00 am »
Another option is to use the National Association of Professional Pet Sitters web site. You put in your zipcode on the front page, and it tells you who operates in your area.

It costs a couple hundred bucks per year to be a member of this group, so you have a better chance of getting someone with a legitimate, established business.

http://www.petsitters.org/
oword

Bartelby

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 09:28:00 pm »
Dogtopia in Tyson's Corner is where I board my dog.  They have daily doggy day care, so your pooch is in a rubber playpen with 40 or 50 other dogs all day. Avoid the vets in McLean: they just park the dog in a crate all day.  Dogtopia has video feeds all day so you can check in; it's hilarious to watch.  You have to take your dog for an evaluation.  They're really serious about making sure there are no overly aggressive dogs.  I've been taking my dog there for about four years.  No bad experiences; no bugs, illnesses, dirt.  Boarding dogs get walks and play time in the outside wading pools (portable, cleaned daily).  703-821-0700.Good luck.

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 08:01:00 am »

Are you going out of town to attend a show at the 930?  

If not, then this request more properly belongs on craiglist.