Author Topic: What's the deal with...The Hold Steady?  (Read 3149 times)

Re: What's the deal with...The Hold Steady?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 03:32:00 pm »
Once or twice a year qualifies as "not much" in my listening. I know that's par for the course for you people that have like 3000+ albums in your collections.  :) , but for me it's not much.

Originally posted by brennser:

Admittedly, I don't listen to any of them that much, but I still don't see that much of a comparison.
sometimes the jokes write themselves    :D  [/b]

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 03:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by El Jefe:
  So what is this band like?  Who do they sound like?  Are the lyrics good?  Do they know how to rock?  Etc., etc.  Cure me of my ignorance.
The music these handsome young men with guitars make brings to mind what it feels like having Jon Bon Jovi's ripping man cock planted firmly in one's ass as the Ronette's fondle your nutsack from behind.

amnesiac

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2005, 03:43:00 pm »
Craig Finn always sounds like he's on a drunken rant. I personally think it sounds awesome. Great drinkin' music.

ggw

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2005, 04:01:00 pm »
Play 'Greetings...' or 'The Wild, The Innocent...' or maybe even 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' -- then play Separation Sunday.  The similarities will readily become apparent.

Born to Run and the River are a bit too polished; Nebraska is a different animal altogether; Born in the USA is just crap; and I have never listened to Tom Joad.

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2005, 04:11:00 pm »
Oh come on. I defy anyone who was in high school when Born in the USA was released to play it now as they are driving around in their car and call it "crap". That album is pure fun, something you can only say about a few of his other songs.

ratioci nation

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2005, 04:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Play 'Greetings...' or 'The Wild, The Innocent...' or maybe even 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' -- then play Separation Sunday.  The similarities will readily become apparent.

Born to Run and the River are a bit too polished; Nebraska is a different animal altogether; Born in the USA is just crap; and I have never listened to Tom Joad.
I just listened to Lost in the Flood off of greetings, yes it does sound like it, no it wont make me like springsteen, that ship has sailed.

mr. pretentious

• This Boy Is Exhausted
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2005, 05:00:00 pm »
So which album do you recommend me to get?  Separation Sunday or the other one?

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2005, 05:08:00 pm »
Greetings from Asbury Park.

Originally posted by El Jefe:
  So which album do you recommend me to get?  Separation Sunday or the other one?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2005, 05:30:00 pm »
I'd go with The Hold Steady Almost Killed Me.  I think it's a little more fun than Separation Sunday.  They're both good though.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2005, 05:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by BookerT:
  i feel like they are a very dude-friendly band, wouldn't be surprised if chicks weren't that into them.
You got it. I've tried to like them but just don't.

Crunchbird

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2005, 04:10:00 pm »
The most tragic thing is that they not only skipped DC on their last tour swing, they're skipping us on this current tour as well!  They just did a show in Chicago with Thunderbirds are Now! and The Constantines ... now that's an indie-hype triple bill that would be worth going out for!

brennser

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2005, 04:15:00 pm »
agreed - was listening to the album again today and thinking how much fun it would be to see them live

Originally posted by Crunchbird:
  The most tragic thing is that they not only skipped DC on their last tour swing, they're skipping us on this current tour as well!  They just did a show in Chicago with Thunderbirds are Now! and The Constantines ... now that's an indie-hype triple bill that would be worth going out for!

jpbelmondo

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2005, 06:15:00 pm »
the record is okay if you like nondescript bar band music with an occasional catchy riff and atonal vocal rambling; the band is better live, particularly if you have had several drinks, because you can't hear the vocals anyway

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2005, 06:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by Crunchbird:
  They just did a show in Chicago with Thunderbirds are Now! and The Constantines ... now that's an indie-hype triple bill that would be worth going out for!
I wouldn't mind seeing The Constantines...