Author Topic: Okkervil River  (Read 1562 times)

jadetree

Okkervil River
« on: August 21, 2003, 05:23:00 pm »
Don't know how many people know this band, maybe more than I think but there are a couple of mp3s off of their forthcoming album available here - http://www.jagjaguwar.com/jagjaguwar/catalog/jag54.htm

I loved their last album and the two new songs have me thinking this may be the album of the year, I realize it may not appeal to a lot of people.

twangirl

Re: Okkervil River
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 03:51:00 pm »
I went to see them at SXSW 2002 and was very disappointed. I had read about them in No Depression and other mags and thought I'd really dig 'em, mostly as they were compared to my favorite 16 Horsepower. But they did not do it for me AT ALL. Granted they were playing upstairs at the Ritz, an awkward space at best with a shitty PA, but still. I almost walked out on 'em. Have you ever seen them live? If you tell me they're just not good live but their recordings are great, I'll probably buy the new one.

jadetree

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 03:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by twangirl:
  I went to see them at SXSW 2002 and was very disappointed. I had read about them in No Depression and other mags and thought I'd really dig 'em, mostly as they were compared to my favorite 16 Horsepower. But they did not do it for me AT ALL. Granted they were playing upstairs at the Ritz, an awkward space at best with a shitty PA, but still. I almost walked out on 'em. Have you ever seen them live? If you tell me they're just not good live but their recordings are great, I'll probably buy the new one.
Never saw them live, they played the metro cafe but I found out about it two days later, which always seemed to happen with shows at the Metro Cafe.  Try the mp3s on the site.

jadetree

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 10:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by twangirl:
  they were compared to my favorite 16 Horsepower
I found Folklore used today, like it a lot.

twangirl

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2003, 06:08:00 pm »
Folklore is a lot more stripped down than my favorite by them, Secret South. But I still like it. If you haven't already got it, you might like Woven Hand, David Eugene Edwards' side project.