Author Topic: Wilco at Merriweather  (Read 11212 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: Wilco at Merriweather
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 03:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:
  this show is bound to have about 5,000 people at it, tops. i cant believe you're going to run into traffic problems because of it.  
true, i just have horrible memories seared into my brain from a radiohead show a few years back ... took about 3 hours to get there from DC, about an hour of it was waiting on either 29 or 32 (can't remember which) to get into the merriweather area
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 03:21:00 pm »
  just dont try taking 29 straight up from DC area cause i've heard so many horror stories.
would you recommend 95 --> 32 rather than right up 29 from DC?
(o|o)

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 03:23:00 pm »
Why are you asking someone from Baltimore for his DC driving rush hour driving recommendations?   :roll:  

Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:

just dont try taking 29 straight up from DC area cause i've heard so many horror stories.
would you recommend 95 --> 32 rather than right up 29 from DC? [/b]

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 03:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Why are you asking someone from Baltimore for his DC driving rush hour driving recommendations?    :roll:  
because: (a) he fucking works at merriweather, i assume he's heard about good routes from other employees or some shit, (b) he specifically told me not to take 29 from DC

goddamn.
(o|o)

sonickteam2

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 04:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:

this show is bound to have about 5,000 people at it, tops. i cant believe you're going to run into traffic problems because of it.  
true, i just have horrible memories seared into my brain from a radiohead show a few years back ... took about 3 hours to get there from DC, about an hour of it was waiting on either 29 or 32 (can't remember which) to get into the merriweather area [/b]
yeah, thats the show i figured you were referring to.

as for my suggestion, even though i am from Baltimore, haha.

if you take 95 to 32, you end up on 29 anyway. and from what i gather, you're probably only hitting immense traffic on either because of concert traffic(pf which i predict there to be little of).  here's why:  

the directions posted on the website lead you directly into the parking lot from Broken Land Parkway, which means, you end up in this 20 mile long line to get to into the lot.  and with 12,000 cars going into one entrance of a parking lot, it can cause problems.

That said, taking 95 to 175 and coming in from the north you can park in the mall parking lot and walk over (this makes it easier after the show too).  this way you'll avoid almost all concert traffic since its not the directions listed on the website. and i bet its about all of 4 miles longer that way.

of course, if you park in the main lot, you'll get to see me on the way in  ;)

i cant believe i wrote that much about driving to merriweather.

sonickteam2

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 04:52:00 pm »
lastly,

if you happen to follow my advice and end up missing most of the show, refunds will NOT be available  :)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 05:23:00 pm »
  That said, taking 95 to 175 and coming in from the north you can park in the mall parking lot and walk over (this makes it easier after the show too).  this way you'll avoid almost all concert traffic since its not the directions listed on the website. and i bet its about all of 4 miles longer that way.
perfect, thanks for the tip
(o|o)

K8teebug

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 09:09:00 am »
I prefer 29 to 95 because getting to 95 from 495 means about 3 miles more of the Beltway traffic.  Once you get onto 29, it has usually the same traffic heading north as 95 does.

just my experience.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 09:34:00 am »
29/95 -> 32 -> BrokenLand Pkwy-> Columbia Mall

That Radiohead fiasco is my no means standard for Merriweather traffic.  It's really not that bad.

nkotb

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 09:36:00 am »
Anyone crazy enough to try making it to Wilco and Panda Bear?  I'm working logistics now, but it sure would help if we had a final schedule for the show...

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 10:19:00 am »
I have a few extra really good pavilion seats that I'm trying to unload (for face, obvs)... PM me if you're interested

jb1677

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 10:37:00 am »
Bombay has it right.  The 29/95 -> 32 -> BrokenLand Pkwy-> Columbia Mall is the best bet.  Stay left when you are on Broken Land, if you are right you will get stuck in the Merriweather Parking Lot traffic.

If you stay left you can generally breeze by and get to the mall, park near Sears but close to the perimiter of the lot, cross the street and enter Merriweather.

Also for people who have given up on 29, its worth noting that many of the lights have been removed over the past few years making it flow much better.  Its actually a bit more congesteted right by the beltway than it used to be, but once you get a couple miles north its generally smooth sailing with no lights.

yohansen5b

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 08:29:00 pm »
ok -- it's getting to be crunch time for me...

does ANYONE have any idea what time Wilco will take the stage at merriweather?  please help a dude out!

anarchist

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 11:25:00 pm »
does anyone have a free ticket and can give me a ride to and fro?

sonickteam2

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007, 08:12:00 am »
Originally posted by anarchist:
  does anyone have a free ticket and can give me a ride to and fro?
i guess trying never hurts.