Author Topic: ipod news, H O T ! ! !  (Read 24474 times)

thirsty moore

Re: ipod news, H O T ! ! !
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2004, 04:51:00 pm »
Edit... nevermind.

bellenseb

« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2004, 04:52:00 pm »
Er, I could be totally wrong on this, but aren't all the iPods compatible with both Macs and PCs, and you can switch between the platforms with one device?

Bags

« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2004, 04:53:00 pm »
-edit-

ratioci nation

« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2004, 04:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  Er, I could be totally wrong on this, but aren't all the iPods compatible with both Macs and PCs, and you can switch between the platforms with one device?
you are not wrong

thirsty moore

« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2004, 04:53:00 pm »
Yes, they are.  I thought so as well and then I read Bags post all wrong.  But what do you care Bellenseb?  Aren't you one of those that thinks iPods are going to take over our lives because they don't use WMA  :D

Bags

« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2004, 04:56:00 pm »
But isn't the software for PC and Apple different, so if I were to format it and fill it up on my Mac, she'd have to strip it completely and start all over to use it on her PC -- that's a question.

And then, don't I choose an Apple or PC iPod at the store, so I have to get add'l PC software if she wants to use it on PC after I started it on a Mac?

bellenseb

« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2004, 04:59:00 pm »
Naw, I don't care about the WMA format one way or the other. As long as a player plays plain old mp3s I'm happy.

My beef with iPods is summed up more eloquently  here ,  here , and  here .

That said, iPods are appealing in many ways and I see why people like them...

ggw

« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2004, 04:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
 The question is, do I get my friend a 5GB blue mini, which is in her obssessively FAVORITE color and is lighter for jogging, which I know she wants to do...

iPod + jogging = bad

Bags

« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2004, 05:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  iPod + jogging = bad
even one of the wee ones?

markie

« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2004, 05:00:00 pm »
  But isn't the software for PC and Apple different, so if I were to format it and fill it up on my Mac, she'd have to strip it completely and start all over to use it on her PC -- that's a question.

And then, don't I choose an Apple or PC iPod at the store, so I have to get add'l PC software if she wants to use it on PC after I started it on a Mac?
The ipods are all mac and pc compatible.

you need itunes. Its a free download for mac and PC.

You can load up an ipod with tunes from as many machines as you like, just turn auto-synching off or it will throw away tunes on the ipod not on the computer.

If she has 100 Cds buy her a mini. If she has 200 cds buy her the ipod. If she has 500 cds buy her the mini.

I really liked Lulu's mini, its much much much nicer than my 1st generation block.

ratioci nation

« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2004, 05:02:00 pm »
There are not pc ipods and mac ipods, they all work on both pcs and macs, they all come with itunes for pcs and macs, as far as switching between the 2 with ease I am not sure

markie

« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2004, 05:04:00 pm »

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  iPod + jogging = bad
even one of the wee ones? [/b]
I am still not sure about this.

At best its a mini hard drive and mini hard drives are not well suited to jumping up and down..... flash drive devices have an advantage here. But I have jogged with my old ipod, It would just crash every hour or so. Which just meant pressing menu and play and waiting a few seconds. The mini's are smaller and weigh less have less momentum and skip less.....

If you are going to jog get a mini, then you can get one of the neato arm bands which stop if bouncing around so much.... helping even more.

markie

« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2004, 05:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:
  There are not pc ipods and mac ipods, they all work on both pcs and macs, they all come with itunes for pcs and macs, as far as switching between the 2 with ease I am not sure
Why not?

The mp3s or AAC's on a PC are the same as on a MAC. The ipod does not format its hard drive when you first plug it in, does it?

ratioci nation

« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2004, 05:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by Deepak Chopra:
  Why not?

The mp3s or AAC's on a PC are the same as on a MAC. The ipod does not format its hard drive when you first plug it in, does it?
when there were ipods for mac and ipods for windows you could not switch back and forth but you could make a windows one a mac ipod by reformatting it, I believe you have to choose how you want it because windows does not support the file system for the mac, i am trying to find an answer to this

ratioci nation

« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2004, 05:18:00 pm »
I have both a Mac and a PC. Will my iPod work on both?
 Answer: No, not at the same time. iPod is configured for either Mac or PC. You can use the iPod Software Updater utility to restore iPod to work with a Mac or a PC (depending on which version of the utility you use). See "Restoring iPod to factory settings" for more information.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60920