Author Topic: Joy Division is having a 'moment?'  (Read 5949 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Joy Division is having a 'moment?'
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 06:27:00 pm »
The only one of those bands that I think really has made any contribution is Interpol. At least they can write good songs, even if they don't expand on what Joy Division did. Even their new LP has really grown on me. I really gave Bloc Party a chance...the National is a good band, I like them but I wouldn't say that I'm officially a convert just yet. I think they need more time to blossom. I really couldn't be bothered with the Killers.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 06:37:00 pm »
Wed October 10 - Control

It opens up tomorrow in NYC and has a 1 week limited engagement at the film forum. its insanely popular here as almost all shows are sold out. luckily me and a bunch of friends have tix to see it tomorrow. Cant wait!

No clue about other cities - but considering its a limited release here and LA is getting it after us, id imagine dc is much farther down the list before it shows up there.
HeyLa

Mobius

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 06:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by Relaxer:

[qb]
 I crave Joy Division bootlegs. They were such an electric band on stage. Love the albums, but I listen to the live recordings a lot more.
My only familiarity w/ Joy Division live is the fake Joy Division in the great film 24 Hour Party People.  But its interesting that they were such a great live band and New Order has a terrible reputation as a live band.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 06:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mobius:

Originally posted by Relaxer:

[qb]
 I crave Joy Division bootlegs. They were such an electric band on stage. Love the albums, but I listen to the live recordings a lot more.
My only familiarity w/ Joy Division live is the fake Joy Division in the great film 24 Hour Party People.  But its interesting that they were such a great live band and New Order has a terrible reputation as a live band. [/b]
I think they had a handful of lousy shows years ago and the reputation stuck with them - I saw them on live TV at Glastonbury and some other 'fest' in the UK over the last couple of  years they sounded absolutely perfect.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 06:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  Wed October 10 - Control

It opens up tomorrow in NYC and has a 1 week limited engagement at the film forum. its insanely popular here as almost all shows are sold out. luckily me and a bunch of friends have tix to see it tomorrow. Cant wait!

No clue about other cities - but considering its a limited release here and LA is getting it after us, id imagine dc is much farther down the list before it shows up there.
So you're saying I shouldn't expect to the see it at the Jupiter Plex then?  ;)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 07:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:

Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  Wed October 10 - Control

So you're saying I shouldn't expect to the see it at the Jupiter Plex then?   :)  LOL at that point you might *just* be in luck. im guessing by the end of the year it'll prob get a wide(r) release if it does this well. naturally im not in the business so i could be totally wrong, but everyone always wants to make more money.
HeyLa

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 09:50:00 pm »
I am just recently getting into the Joy Division. They are drawing me in like no band has before. Truely amazing stuff. Can't wait for control to be released on DVD(praying for DC dates, but most likely not).

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 12:44:00 am »
wasn't this "moment" about 4 years ago?  seems like the overt joy division tributes were a 2002/3 phenomenon and most new music trends seem to be straying from the JD/Go4 post-post-punk hegemony we had back then
(o|o)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 01:43:00 am »
i so have to get to sleep as im dead tired, but hands down one of the best films ive seen this year, if not the best. its dark and hauntingly beautiful and sam riley (playing ian curtis) is amazing. you forget youre not watching a documentary at times, and the live sets will blow your mind away.

im prob seeing it a 2nd time before it leaves theaters. thank god it was shot in black & white - thats how it deserves to be shown.

sal - if youre around saturday let me know. i could be persuaded to catch it again before seeing hot hot heat.
HeyLa

bearman🐻

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 09:42:00 am »
I saw a poster of this up last night at E Street Cinema and the manager said that it is likely to be coming there at some point soon. We'll just have to keep our eyes peeled. I cannot wait to see this one, as well as What We Do Is Secret.

Whycontrol

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 04:09:00 pm »
We will host the DC theatrical release party for Control Oct. 27th at BLISS. There are a limited number of free passes (which admit 2) available to the film beginning Nov. 5th for the first 10 folks through the door. Doors at 9:30.

Whycontrol

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »
That is doors are at 9:30 p.m., not at 9:30 (club)

blisspop.com

Arthwys

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2007, 11:03:00 am »
Originally posted by Whycontrol:
  We will host the DC theatrical release party for Control Oct. 27th at BLISS. There are a limited number of free passes (which admit 2) available to the film beginning Nov. 5th for the first 10 folks through the door. Doors at 9:30.
Brilliant.  Thanks for the heads up.
Emrys

lily1

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2007, 07:57:00 am »
might i suggest a 930 forum outing for one of these films?

ConversationDiva

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2007, 01:35:00 pm »
the film was really beautiful, having it shot in black and white made it really captivating. it was interesting to see all of his different relationships with people and how it effected him i would have liked to see a bit more about the music but i still really enjoyed it.