Author Topic: spoon voucher  (Read 4516 times)

shoelaces22

Re: spoon voucher
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 02:27:00 am »
Originally posted by Frazza:
  For those who care, the club never reached capacity from what I could tell.
that's too bad.  now i wish i would have tried going.

nkotb

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 08:14:00 am »
Does anyone else get the feeling that Joe looks at a band's set list, then picks one song randomly from their back catalog to gripe that they didn't play?

Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  Set List from npr.org (bah, no "Metal Detektor")

azaghal1981

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 08:49:00 am »
Just got done listening to the npr stream. Sounds like it was a fun, solid show.

Maybe they should've sold a few more tickets online but I know that would've been a little risky.
احمد

BookerT

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 10:18:00 am »
spoon put on a clinic last night. i think this was my 8th time seeing them and this was by FAR the best. i was legit freaking out when they started with "i could see the dude" ==> "utilitarian" ==> "minor tough" then when they went into the "girls can tell" stuff i figured out they were having fun with the set list, going through their career, in order, even in terms of placement on album. great gimmick for the hardcore fans.

i've seen enough mediocre shows by them to know when they're feeling and not feeling it, and they were ON last night and they knew it. loved having the horn section for the handful of songs, everything sounded extremely dynamic. so many highlights.

and the club was maybe half full.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 10:54:00 am »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  Does anyone else get the feeling that Joe looks at a band's set list, then picks one song randomly from their back catalog to gripe that they didn't play?
AKA rhett 2.0
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 11:03:00 am »
Well I love the Metal Detektor song. It's one of their best.

Originally posted by nkotb:

Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  Set List from npr.org (bah, no "Metal Detektor")
[/b]
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 11:08:00 am »
Wow by reading this thread and the free folk phantasmagory one, it looks to me like you're having a pretty awesome week.

So they definitely could've sold more through tickets.com.

Originally posted by BookerT:
  spoon put on a clinic last night. i think this was my 8th time seeing them and this was by FAR the best. i was legit freaking out when they started with "i could see the dude" ==> "utilitarian" ==> "minor tough" then when they went into the "girls can tell" stuff i figured out they were having fun with the set list, going through their career, in order, even in terms of placement on album. great gimmick for the hardcore fans.

i've seen enough mediocre shows by them to know when they're feeling and not feeling it, and they were ON last night and they knew it. loved having the horn section for the handful of songs, everything sounded extremely dynamic. so many highlights.

احمد

Bags

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 11:14:00 am »
Originally posted by Frazza:
  For those who care, the club never reached capacity from what I could tell.
Nope.  Due to my bum ankle, I was upstairs and my assessment is that the place was about 60% full for the Ponys, and I think it did reach 75-80% for Spoon.  Definitely not capacity -- lots of room in the back, along the sides, and upstairs.

And I was a bit disappointed by the crowd -- after all the whining about a club show so REAL fans can see them in a smaller, more intimate environment, for the first half of the show folks weren't very emotive down there in front.

But, it was a really good show -- I was surprised, and Spoon has moved up my list overall now that the live show matches the quality of the albums a bit better.  They were "on" enough that by the second half the crowd livened up.  I'm not sure they deserved that surprise second encore, but I was happy to get it all the same.

Tom Servo

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 11:27:00 am »
Completely agree.  Fantastic show, and I loved the set list.  It was halfway through the show before they got to anything from their latest two albums, which was just fine by me but may have been a letdown for more recent fans that didn't have all the albums.  The crowd was appreciative but seemed to me to not be feeling it as much as I was.  

A big thank you to the band and the club for making this happen.  Everything went smoothly.  I have to say, though, that I was completely shocked that the place wasn't full.  You had 2 days worth of original 9:30 tickets, plus those that had vouchers from the Merriweather show.  My only thought was that maybe a lot of people decided to go see the Shins then didn't want to do 2 weeknight shows in a row.  Crazy.  

Originally posted by BookerT:

Tom Servo

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 11:31:00 am »
Oh, and the Ponys were very good too.  Poser Psychotic is such a great song.  

Second encore was great, I think the band just wanted to play a little bit more.  The house lights and music were already up and the crowd wasn't exactly screaming their heads off at that point.

vansmack

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 12:08:00 pm »
In defense of the club, they did post on their homepage that there was plenty of room and that folks should feel free to come on down.

Not sure when that was posted, but I saw it all afternoon and again last night when I got home.
27>34

shoelaces22

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 12:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  In defense of the club, they did post on their homepage that there was plenty of room and that folks should feel free to come on down.

Not sure when that was posted, but I saw it all afternoon and again last night when I got home.
I didn't see the announcement until I got home last night, well after the show had ended.  The website had said sold out ever since the show was re-announced and there had been so much hype leading up to it about how admission was not guaranteed even with a voucher that as someone with neither an original ticket nor a voucher, I couldn't foresee any way I'd be getting in and hardly would have expected or predicted that ticket sales would open back up and that I should be checking the website all day just in case.

vansmack

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by shoelaces22:
 hardly would have expected or predicted... that I should be checking the website all day just in case.
Sounds like lack of effort caused you to miss a pretty good show.
27>34

shoelaces22

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 12:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

hardly would have expected or predicted... that I should be checking the website all day just in case.
Sounds like lack of effort caused you to miss a pretty good show. [/b]
Yeah, I am pretty disappointed about it.  I liked Spoon a lot the last time I saw them and would have enjoyed a show at the club.  But really, when for weeks people have been trying to get the details of this straight and the club has been saying that entrance is first come, first served and not everyone with a ticket is guaranteed in, does it follow logically that people without tickets will be allowed in?  In my mind, it didn't, so I just made other plans rather than sit in front of my computer praying for a miracle.  Hopefully I'll catch them next time, but I just think it's strange and unexpected how this worked out.

vansmack

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007, 12:46:00 pm »
 I just think it's strange and unexpected how this worked out.
The Hype Machine surrounding this entire Spoon visit definitely far exceeded reality...
27>34