Author Topic: Simple Machines roll call  (Read 8554 times)

joeblowjoe

Re: Simple Machines roll call
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 07:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by beedubyah:

Originally posted by joeblowjoe:
  i was going to catch the nats first. Think I'll need to leave early?
Just as long as you dont wear your baseball cap inside. Am I right hipsters?! [/b]
only backwards or sideways, right?

bigmarley4

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 12:21:00 pm »
I'll be there, saw them at Lanagerado and it was tight, like their studio stuff as well, definitely think they can play for a while no problem.

Bags

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 02:08:00 pm »
If anyone's on the fence, there's a 20 minute live performance available from Rolling Stone (and Coors -- yuck), check it out  here

Darth Ed

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 02:44:00 pm »
I'll be there! I'm doing a little cramming right now. I just finished listening to "Now Here Is Nowhere"... Man, that's a good album! Moving on to "Ten Silver Drops"... Anyway, I was surprised to see there's no opening band, but that's fine with me. If anyone wants to meet up (Tom Servo? Bags? anyone?), I'll be in my usual spot near-ish the Food Food window and the bar on that side....

Bags

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 03:11:00 pm »
If I go (it's about an 80% chance), we always head over to the Food Food window general area...

I'd invite you to meet for a drink beforehand, but a friend in a condo nearby is having people over.

Tom Servo

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 03:17:00 pm »
Groovy.  I'll keep an eye out for the congregation.

Darth Ed

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 04:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  If I go (it's about an 80% chance), we always head over to the Food Food window general area...
"Never tell me the odds!" -- Han Solo

Originally posted by Tom Servo:
  Groovy.  I'll keep an eye out for the congregation.
Far out, man.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2006, 08:49:00 pm »
We wil not be making it to the show tonight after all.  Too bad Im sure it is going to be very good.  Oh well teo tickets go unused.
FUKIT

lbcardoni

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2006, 02:43:00 am »
How was the Ryan Adams show?  A little warm, eh?

Chip Chanko

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2006, 10:29:00 am »
Konono No. 1 definitely was...the AC was out upstairs.

Originally posted by Baby Gorilla:
  How was the Ryan Adams show?  A little warm, eh?

manimtired

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2006, 11:11:00 am »
frat boy fest at the 930 last night...good show though

revwolfe

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2006, 02:07:00 pm »
That was most definitely their best performance of the three I've seen at the 930 club.  The energy was amazing...though the talking during North Country and the first half of You Are Chains bugged my friends and me.  

Did anyone else notice the doped up guy in the front right who was waving his hand around in the air the entire time?

Again, the energy was incredible, especially at the end of I Hate Pretending and during the entire encore.  I'm seeing them at Lollapalooza, but there's no way they're as good during the day.  The lights are half the show.  A friend told me the lights alone were worth over 500K...he said they were worht 700K...can anyone back that up or refute it?

Darth Ed

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2006, 08:57:00 pm »
The Secret Machines came out and hit the audience with a wall of sound like a ton of bricks. In their atypical stage arrangement, the drummer was at the front of the stage on the left and facing his bandmates stage right. With the very first song, I could feel the bass drum thumping in my chest. It was awesome and the first song right away set the bar for one of the best performances of the year at the club.  I loved the Secret Machine's brand of shoegaze-influenced indie rock, and I thought they were noticeably better than when I saw them at the 9:30 Club a year and a half ago. There was one super-slow song in the middle of the set that just seemed interminable, but otherwise every song was just amazing. The sound mix was excellent.

Best light show of the year by far, I'd say, though of course it's not like I attend every show or anything, so I cannot say definitvely, but it was one of the best I've seen at the club. Really I'd have to go back to last year's Billy Corgan show for a better light show, and I reckon that light show is unbeatable.

It was great fun hanging out with Bags and her posse. Tom Servo, I'm sorry we missed you. Hopefully next time....

Bags

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2006, 12:53:00 am »
I thought that show was great.  I've seen them twice before -- both times at the Black Cat I'm pretty sure, and this was by far the S.M. best show (it, in fact, ranks really high for the year overall).  It just rocked.  And I was surprised, because I tend to get annoyed with the 6, 7, 8 minute drawn out songs (starts to verge on jammy, which I just am viscerally turned off to).  Only once I said to a friend that a song could have ended about 2 minutes sooner.  

I thought the sound was great, too.  As Darth said, it was kind of a wall of sound which washed over and thumped right through you.  And the lights were amazing.

I wasn't even sure I'd go -- got there middle of second song.  Super glad I got over there....  I even made Darth debrief with us at DC9.  Very good summer Friday night.

shtee223

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2006, 10:27:00 am »
anyone have the setlist?