Author Topic: Wilco Roll Call  (Read 7495 times)

vassego

Re: Wilco Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 12:44:00 am »
Anyone else grab a Wiilco shirt?

Here's the setlist...I thought it was kind of odd, but I still enjoyed the show.

1) A Shot In the Arm
     2) Side With the Seeds
     3) You are My Face
     4) Trying to Break Your Heart
     5) Kamera
     6) Handshake Drugs
     7) Via Chicago
     8) Shake it off
     9) War on War
     10) Sky Blue Sky
     11) Impossible Germany
     12) Jesus, etcâ?¦
     13) Hate It Here
     14) Walkinâ??
     15) Iâ??m the Man Who Loves You
     16) Hummingbird

Encore

17) California Stars
     18) Reservations
     19) Spiders

Encore II

20) Heavy Metal Drummer
     21) Late Greats
     22) Alway in Love
     23) Outtasite (Outta Mind)
     24) Iâ??m a Wheel

Encore III

25) What Light

Darth Ed

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 02:43:00 am »
I thought it was a fantastic set list, if only because it was a breath of fresh air. I thought the order of the songs was very interesting and fun. Solid effort as always from Wilco. One of the best shows I've been to so far this year, but I'd expect no less. Nels Cline was on fire! I was particularly pleased to see Tweedy smiling, cracking jokes, and genuinely enjoying himself. Usually, he's so serious and easily annoyed by people calling out requests or whatever. I've never seen him smile so much during a concert. Glenn on drums looked like he was having a blast as well. Great job all around.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 06:21:00 am »
Really enjoyed the Sky Blue Sky songs. The rest I've heard a lot (esp. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot songs) and did not really care for. Would have been nice to throw in more songs from earlier albums.
(_|_)

oso

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 07:11:00 am »
Quick note on the set-list. They didn't play "Reservations"-- "Poor Places" was the song before "Spiders" last night.

vassego

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007, 07:20:00 am »
Originally posted by oso:
  Quick note on the set-list. They didn't play "Reservations"-- "Poor Places" was the song before "Spiders" last night.
Oops, you're right.  Damn, not being able to edit posts...

nkotb

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 09:51:00 am »
Maybe I'm biased because of my good seats, or because I've been listening to Wilco fairly non-stop lately, but that was easily the best set I've seen them do.  I initially griped about a lack of older songs, but by the end of the night, I couldn't have been happier.  True, I would've loved "Acuff Rose" (they never seem to play it in our area   :mad:  ), but each and every song last night was pretty much perfect.

I know a lot of purists gripe about such avant-garde influences in the band nowadays, but having both Nels Cline and Glenn Kotche in the band have really taken them to the next level live.  They both know when to let loose but, more importantly, when to hold back.  Neither even throw out unnecessary flourishes, but when they go off (uh, the noisy breaks in "Via Chicago"!?!?!), it's out of control.  Really, even song was played with such new life last night that I'm still buzzing about it.

The entire evening was pretty charmed: very little traffic, great spot parking at the mall, excellent seats, no problems getting out of Columbia...hell, I even got a great new belt at the mall to hold up my shorts (problem with running a lot...you tend to lose weight!) for $2.09!  And to top it off, Wilco just totally killed.  They were so good, in fact, that I stayed through each and every encore.  They were so on fire that I figured Panda Bear couldn't complete; hey, if I happened to miss a little of his set, I figured I wouldn't lose any sleep.

Speaking of which... (see the Panda Bear post)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 10:23:00 am »
Was it a pink belt to match your pink Fiery Furnaces shirt?

Originally posted by nkotb:
  hell, I even got a great new belt at the mall to hold up my shorts (problem with running a lot...you tend to lose weight!) for $2.09!

(_|_)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 10:34:00 am »
I think most people are still recuperating from the Wilco show?
(_|_)

shemptiness

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 11:40:00 am »
Originally posted by Shemp:

Originally posted by nkotb:
  I wish!  There are a ton of songs I'd love for them to play; hopefully the setlist will be a little more varied than the last 9:30 show.

I'd expect to hear 8 of the 12 from Sky Blue Sky. [/b]
Hey, I was finally right about something!  Great show!

Chulahoma

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 11:51:00 am »
did anyone pick up a poster or have a link to a picture of one?

allmy$to930

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 12:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by bizou311®:
  did anyone pick up a poster or have a link to a picture of one?
Can't find a picture.  I thought is was a disappointing poster and didn't purchase one (despite the good cause). If I recall correctly, it was two hands, one red and one blue, holding a white dove on a tan/brown background.

On a related note, I just took in my poster from the summer 2004 show for framing (washington monument on blue background).

Mobius

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 12:21:00 pm »
i don't really have anything to say that nkotb didn't already.  an awesome wilco show and just an overall awesome summer show.  really did feel like a show at the Club, taken outdoors on a nice summer night.  very solid, well-paced set and then ridiculously strong encores.

floyd1975

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 12:53:00 pm »
Great show.  Once I left the floor and retreated to the lawn, it was a very enjoyable summer concert.

root

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 01:56:00 pm »
brilliant show, one of the best set lists i heard them do in ages and they sounded great!

sonickteam2

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 03:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by root:
  brilliant show, one of the best set lists i heard them do in ages and they sounded great!
hey man!!! i didnt know you were up in that cut, i would have looked for you.

not a big wilco fan (ok, not a fan at all), but they are definitely good at what they do.