Author Topic: Coachella '06  (Read 11999 times)

Guiny

Re: Coachella '06
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 10:45:00 am »
Tool would be pretty cool to see.

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 11:00:00 am »
Originally posted by Got Haggis?:
  these bands are confirmed

DEPECHE MODE
 TOOL
Depeche Mode is a confirmed tool.

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 11:05:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  BookerT is pretty spot on... I only see FF, BP, and MMJ lasting past the three marks if they can deliver an album or two that sets them apart from the pack.  Sigur Ros is in it for the long run as they are jam music for indie set.  Paul Oakenfeld has been kicking around since the 80s,but where outside the UK does he sell his records/remixes.  His name will ensure he gets paid heaps in the US to "spin" whatever they are calling trance that week.  The rest gathering lots of dust in cutout bins...
but Kosmo, could you pick 80 bands for a 2-day festival that are not only in their prime but bands that will release 10 albums and be adored for decades?  there arent even 80 bands like that on earth. maybe say 30.  and out of those 30, 10 are probably not touring.  6 probably played last year and probably half of the other 14 will be there this year.

Tricky is also on the bill.  and Common, while a rapper, has plenty of staying power....

has beens and never will be's are 90% of the industry.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 11:31:00 am »
no but then again i'm not a festival promoter and have little desire to spend any time in the desert or tn with a bunch of people listening to crappy sound.
T.Rex

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 11:38:00 am »
 desire to spend time in the desert with a bunch of people
Isn't that the main reason most people attend such fetes?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2006, 11:41:00 am »
Actually I could probably pull together some bands that have out lasted the 2-3 year mark, problem is only a couple thousand people would be interested in 80% of the bands on the bill.  More would turn out for those band with larger label backing...
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2006, 11:57:00 am »
  Actually I could probably pull together some bands that have out lasted the 2-3 year mark, problem is only a couple thousand people would be interested in 80% of the bands on the bill.  More would turn out for those band with larger label backing...
yes, while Kosmochella would not be a profitable concert!  as  someone whos been to Coachella 3 times though.  the most bands i have seen in one year is 26 and i think in all 3 years i have sat through a total of 3 bands i didnt want to see (Bright Eyes, Jack Johnson and Groove Armada).

for example in 2004 on day 1 i saw ...
 The Sounds, the Stills, Q and Not U, Beck, International Noise Conspiracy, Death Cab for Cutie, Mark Farina, Pixies, Radiohead, Electric Six and Kraftwerk.

hardly a bunch of "cut-out bin" bands.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2006, 12:15:00 pm »
to clarify my point many people attending such festivals   aren't generally interested in seeing artists/bands they have never heard of, which might lineup would contain several of.

I didn't say all bands were cutout worthy, but The Sound and Electric Six would certainly be definitive choices for being cut-out artists.
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2006, 12:21:00 pm »
yes, Coachella is not very indie.

sonickteam2

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2006, 01:32:00 pm »
ok, here are a bunch more.....and no, not enough for me to go this year, i dont think....

Saturday, April 29th
 Depeche Mode, Franz Ferdinand, Sigur Ros, Common, Damian Marley, Atmosphere, Carl Cox, My Morning Jacket, Ladytron , Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Tosca, Cat Power, Animal Collective, HARD-fi, Derrick Carter, Devendra Banhart, She Wants Revenge, The Walkmen, The Juan Maclean, Audio Bullys, Imogen Heap, Lady Sovereign, Deerhoof, The Duke Spirit, Editors, stellastarr*, Lyrics Born, Matt Costa, The New Amsterdams, The Zutons, Platinum Piped Pipers, White Rose Movement, Chris Liberator, Colette, Joey Beltram, Hybrid, Wolfmother, The Like, Living Things, Nine Black Alps, The Section Quartet, Infadels, Youth Group, Shy FX & T Power, Infusion.

Sunday, April 30th
 Tool, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bloc Party, Paul Oakenfold, Scissor Sisters, Matisyahu, James Blunt, TV on the Radio, Sleater-Kinney , Mogwai, Coheed and Cambria, Gnarls Barkley, Coldcut, Phoenix, Digable Planets, Amadou & Mariam, Little Louie Vega, Mylo (DJ Set), Seu Jorge, Wolf Parade, The Go! Team, Kaskade, Metric, Art Brut, Dungen, The Dears, Jamie Lidell, The Magic Numbers, Los Amigos Invisibles, Jazzanova, Michael Mayer, Mates of State, Gilles Peterson, Gabriel & Dresden, The Subways, Minus the Bear, Be Your Own Pet, Giant Drag, Kristina Sky, The Octopus Project.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2006, 01:51:00 pm »
granted there are a some  acts on the second day  i'd like to see on this list, but wont feel incomplete if i miss them...  TV on the Radio, Coldcut, Phoenix,  Seu Jorge, The Dears, The Magic Numbers, Los Amigos Invisibles, Jazzanova,

what i don't understand is surely the acoustics at a place like the washington convention center, can't be any worse than a huge outdoor festival, why can't they setup big festivals in places like that?  or trim down the number of acts per day and do it at Merriweather and I'm there!
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2006, 02:11:00 pm »
people like to be outside Kosmo!!!!

i think seth should totally do a festival at Merriweather.  all day , 2 stages, maybe even 3.

i am sure he could sell the place out.  even charging a steep price.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2006, 02:14:00 pm »
Yeah, almost all of the bands I want to see will be touring at some point this Spring. So I'll catch them at smaller places.

Congrats to The Octopus Project for getting on the bill. They are terrific. That exposure should help them quite a bit.

Sage 703

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2006, 02:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by Thom Foolerie:
  ok, here are a bunch more.....and no, not enough for me to go this year, i dont think....

Saturday, April 29th
 Depeche Mode, Franz Ferdinand, Sigur Ros, Common, Damian Marley, Atmosphere, Carl Cox, My Morning Jacket, Ladytron , Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Tosca, Cat Power, Animal Collective, HARD-fi, Derrick Carter, Devendra Banhart, She Wants Revenge, The Walkmen, The Juan Maclean, Audio Bullys, Imogen Heap, Lady Sovereign, Deerhoof, The Duke Spirit, Editors, stellastarr*, Lyrics Born, Matt Costa, The New Amsterdams, The Zutons, Platinum Piped Pipers, White Rose Movement, Chris Liberator, Colette, Joey Beltram, Hybrid, Wolfmother, The Like, Living Things, Nine Black Alps, The Section Quartet, Infadels, Youth Group, Shy FX & T Power, Infusion.

Sunday, April 30th
 Tool, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bloc Party, Paul Oakenfold, Scissor Sisters, Matisyahu, James Blunt, TV on the Radio, Sleater-Kinney , Mogwai, Coheed and Cambria, Gnarls Barkley, Coldcut, Phoenix, Digable Planets, Amadou & Mariam, Little Louie Vega, Mylo (DJ Set), Seu Jorge, Wolf Parade, The Go! Team, Kaskade, Metric, Art Brut, Dungen, The Dears, Jamie Lidell, The Magic Numbers, Los Amigos Invisibles, Jazzanova, Michael Mayer, Mates of State, Gilles Peterson, Gabriel & Dresden, The Subways, Minus the Bear, Be Your Own Pet, Giant Drag, Kristina Sky, The Octopus Project.
Yawn.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2006, 02:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by Thom Foolerie:
  people like to be outside Kosmo!!!!

In the dead of winter?  In pouring rain?   ;)
T.Rex