Author Topic: London concert advice  (Read 2503 times)

Mr.Whippy

London concert advice
« on: June 23, 2007, 02:00:00 am »
Hi,
   I was wondering if there is anyone on the board with experience going to shows in London that could help me out with some advice.
   I'll be in London next week on a business trip.  I saw that The Who are doing 2 nights at Wembley Arena while I'm there.  Tickets seem to be sold out through ticketmaster.  I checked craigslist and ebay and there are some tickets being sold.
   If these were arena shows in the US, I would have some ideas of strategies to try and get a good ticket for face value (look out for ticketmaster to drop tickets close to the show, etc.), but I know next to nothing about ticket strategies for the UK.  Does anyone have any advice on things to try?

Thanks,
 Jon

PigIron

Re: London concert advice
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 12:20:00 pm »
To extend this request for advice...I'm going in a few weeks and want to see the Roots at Somerset House, which is sold out.  

Are there the usual people selling tix outside?  Can I count on craigslist/London?  

There are tix being sold at TickEx.com but I've never used that site before.  Any thoughts?

ConversationDiva

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 12:26:00 am »
while i've lived in london and i'm moving back in a few weeks, i havent been to either of those venues, i can say that you are likely to find people selling tickets outside the venue but it could get expensive. craigslist/london is worth a try though and keep looking on ebay.co.uk. i dont know about the who or the roots if they have forums but i've been able to get tickets through looking on a bands forum before so just another idea. i hope it all works out for you both! and have a fabulous time!

Marty666

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 05:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by JonathanEH:
  Hi,
   I was wondering if there is anyone on the board with experience going to shows in London that could help me out with some advice.
   I'll be in London next week on a business trip.  I saw that The Who are doing 2 nights at Wembley Arena while I'm there.  Tickets seem to be sold out through ticketmaster.  I checked craigslist and ebay and there are some tickets being sold.
   If these were arena shows in the US, I would have some ideas of strategies to try and get a good ticket for face value (look out for ticketmaster to drop tickets close to the show, etc.), but I know next to nothing about ticket strategies for the UK.  Does anyone have any advice on things to try?

Thanks,
 Jon
when you get to london, take the tube out to the richmond station, then walk to the river thames. then look for a foot bridge across, and on the other side should be eel pie recording studios twickenham. its a round building that faces the river. go to the reception area and tell them your story, they might be able to help you out. you can mention my name; Marty.

K8teebug

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 07:46:00 am »
Don't really have any show advice, but definitely walk around Covent Garden and drink some John Smith for me.

Pizza Express has good (relatively cheap) pizza.

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 01:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by JonathanEH:
  I saw that The Who are doing 2 nights at Wembley Arena while I'm there.  Tickets seem to be sold out through ticketmaster.  
It's not that much different in England than it is here.  I've had success with craigslist London, but have never bought tickets on ebay (I only pay face value for tickets).  The new Wembley holds about 90,000 folks so I doubt you'll have much trouble finding someone selling tickets at the venue over two nights.  I've also had good success at pubs near the venue where someone inevitably has an extra because the train from somewhere didn't get there in time.  

Oh, and a ticket seller in England is a tout, not a scalper.

Good luck and enjoy the show.
27>34

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 01:07:00 am »
Probably too late but when in London, I'd go to The Luminaire and the London Social. Just saying. That's where my friends book shows, play, hang out, etc.. Also, sometimes at Water Rats and Upstairs at The Garage. Also, sometimes at The Betsy Trotswood but that's tricky because it only holds about 60 people.

Arthwys

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 04:01:00 pm »
My advice for London shows... be on the mailing list for any UK band that you enjoy, as there is a darn good shot at them doing some crazy tiny little secret show that is announced only through email or something like that.  I saw Editors for free on the roof of the Proud Galleries at the Stables Market in Camden Town this way.  Same basic thing for The Duke Spirit, free, announced less than 24 hours in advance, and saw them in the basement of The Social off of Oxford Circus.  In fact, the stunning Ms. Moss smacked me on top of the head whilst swinging her mic around.  She kept on rocking, then at the end of the song took my head in her hands and asked if I was alright.  Of course I was, it made my week!

As far as venues, watch out for Brixton Academy...it's a nice venue, but the floor is sloped and huge...if you are down the front, you'll get pushed up against the barrier like nothing you've ever experienced before.  Quite literally the two most crowded and no personal space whatsoever shows i've ever been to were Bloc Party at Brixton, and also Kaiser Chiefs, Maximo Park and Cribs at Brixton.  The Astoria is decent, and Camden Koko has to be seen to be believed.

Funny tidbit, while waiting for Bloc Party, the queue outside Brixton Academy goes down a long alleyway.  Some local budding hip hop artist was attempting to make a homemade music video by putting a groupie on the back of a hatchback w/ a camcorder filming him while he sauntered down the alley after as the car drove forwards.  When he fell over on his ass having tripped on the curb all the indie kids in the queue gave him a round of applause.
Emrys

ConversationDiva

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 05:37:00 pm »
yeah i agree about The Luminaire, it was a fun place to go have a drink and was a good little venue to see bands in.

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 10:42:00 am »
Hey,
   Cheers from London.  Thanks for all the advice.  There were tons of people trying to sell Who tickets the night of the show out front.  I got a 19th row ticket for half price, which, I guess, given the exchange rate, is full US price.
  I'm going to try and see Lou Reed doing the full Berlin record tonight at the Hammersmith Apollo.
   For anyone else looking for tickets for stuff in the UK, apparently there is a listing called Gumtree which is more widely used than Craigslist.

Jon

ConversationDiva

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 12:03:00 pm »
ohh glad you got to see the who! hope you get to see lou reed! my best friend is going to that tomorrow, should be cool!

PigIron

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 12:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguar:
  Probably too late but when in London, I'd go to The Luminaire and the London Social. Just saying. That's where my friends book shows, play, hang out, etc.. Also, sometimes at Water Rats and Upstairs at The Garage. Also, sometimes at The Betsy Trotswood but that's tricky because it only holds about 60 people.
I think the Garage is closed down, for some temporary period.  
 I go July 16.  I've heard of the other places and will give them a try.  Mainly, I'm just looking for a place to see local rock music.  And of course, I'd be elated to get Roots tickets if I can.
 Thanks for the info, everyone.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 01:45:00 pm »
advice:  don't get blown up
(o|o)

distance

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 02:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:
  advice:  don't get blown up
i thought about posting this yesterday, but decided not to.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 03:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by distance:
 i thought about posting this yesterday, but decided not to.
very prudent
(o|o)