Author Topic: DC as a 'transitional' city  (Read 5771 times)

ratioci nation

Re: DC as a 'transitional' city
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2003, 10:58:00 am »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  pittsburgh is quite the opposite.  everyone is there is from pittsburgh.  well, not EVERYone, but most.  and it gets old really quick.  but the nature of washington lends itself to having alot of people that come and go.  who would want to work on the hill all their lives?
st.louis is similar to pittsburgh in that way, everybody has been there forever and nobody can imagine leaving, it is really disgusting sometimes, it means the city never changes and also means it remains segragated economically and racially, I love the fact that dc has new people all the time, I came here for college and have been here almost 10 years and have no plans of leaving soon

mankie

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2003, 11:09:00 am »
Originally posted by I Heart Walkie:
   i'd prefer it if they just went home to go have sex with their sisters.    :roll:  
If I move to a small town can I have sex with their sisters?

As for Pittsburgh, of course it's not transitional..who in their right mind actually moves TO Pittsburgh?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2003, 11:11:00 am »
were it not for the fact that my brother is moving back into the area i would be considerig transitioning outta here... after six years the traffic, cost of housing,and the general me first attidude of those who do transition in and out are getting on my nerves
T.Rex

mankie

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2003, 11:19:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  ... after six years the traffic, cost of housing,and the general me first attidude of those who do transition in and out are getting on my nerves
All joking aside, I do agree with Kosmo's statement wholeheartedly, which is why we're out of here in less than two years. I lived in this area for 20 years though. Does that still make me one of the "transitionals"?

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2003, 11:26:00 am »
But the Bottle Rockets are from St. Louis, so it can't be all bad.

Originally posted by pollard:

Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  pittsburgh is quite the opposite.  everyone is there is from pittsburgh.  well, not EVERYone, but most.  and it gets old really quick.  but the nature of washington lends itself to having alot of people that come and go.  who would want to work on the hill all their lives?
st.louis is similar to pittsburgh in that way, everybody has been there forever and nobody can imagine leaving, it is really disgusting sometimes, it means the city never changes and also means it remains segragated economically and racially, I love the fact that dc has new people all the time, I came here for college and have been here almost 10 years and have no plans of leaving soon [/b]

ratioci nation

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2003, 11:31:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:

and Uncle Tupelo was formed in the st. louis area, despite wilco's claims to be from chicago, Jay Farrar lives in st. louis and sings about it frequently

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2003, 11:32:00 am »
I'm a 4th generation Arlingtonian.  Not too many of us around.  Probably about 1/3 of my friends are native to the area and the rest from elsewhere.

I used to live in Philidelphia and lots of people up there never even leave their own neighborhood.  It's amazing how unaware people can be of the world beyong their immediate surroundings.  I remember tons of people being amazed when I would explain that DC was only a 2 1/2 or 3 hour drive from Philly.  To them it might as well have been on the other side of the country.

Celeste

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2003, 11:34:00 am »
lots of times if there's a university nearby, that helps...I think the area around Wash U in St. Louis is fun, and I had fun when I visited Pittsburgh, too..

Venerable Bede

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2003, 11:39:00 am »
Originally posted by mankie:

As for Pittsburgh, of course it's not transitional..who in their right mind actually moves TO Pittsburgh?
hey, i like pittsburgh. . .they got i.c. light and the penguins.

but more to the point, why would someone want to stay in their small (or large) town all their lives??  to me that is a sign of someone who wants to live in a staid existence, with no curiosity about what's out there in this world.  to me, that's definately an asset for americans, at least when they stay in america.   :)  

granted, there are people that move to the city to become anonymous, and there are people who move to the city so they can become someone, and meet new people, and not be constricted by the norms of their hometown.  course, i moved to d.c. to be as far away as possible from my family, plus, d.c. seemed a good fit with my history degree.
OU812

mankie

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2003, 11:45:00 am »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

plus, d.c. seemed a good fit with my history degree. [/b]
Is that because of the abundance of fast food places.

Celeste

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2003, 11:50:00 am »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
 but more to the point, why would someone want to stay in their small (or large) town all their lives??  to me that is a sign of someone who wants to live in a staid existence, with no curiosity about what's out there in this world...
yeah...that's how my parents are...and I get sad for them sometimes, though they are very well-read and interested in intellectual discovery...it's not always becuase they want to live a staid existence or have no curiosity, though, but often due to financial reasons or family obligations...

although I'm not a huge fan of DC, though, and come from a city I would say is much better--Chicago--I am always glad that I moved and ventured into something that was new and different to me...I have changed a ton since moving here

sonickteam2

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2003, 12:01:00 pm »

Well, the Flaming Lips are from Norman Oklahoma, have you ever been there?  hehe.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2003, 12:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

Originally posted by I Heart Walkie:
   i'd prefer it if they just went home to go have sex with their sisters.     :)    

agreed.  i moved here mostly because there were so few jobs back home.  and all of the good tours skipped pittsburgh.  you know life is sad when you have to go to cleveland for a show.  i miss primanti bros. sandwiches so much i dream about them sometimes.  also a good fit for my political science/english degree
o/\o

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2003, 12:09:00 pm »
I'll bet we could afford us a really nice house with as many acres as we'd want in Norman Oklahoma.

Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Well, the Flaming Lips are from Norman Oklahoma, have you ever been there?  hehe. [/b]

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2003, 12:44:00 pm »