Author Topic: Rumor: Smashing Pumpkins at 9:30 Club July 10th  (Read 176978 times)

ggw

Re: Rumor: Smashing Pumpkins at 9:30 Club July 10th
« Reply #1110 on: July 13, 2007, 06:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  by this logic, food and shelter given to katrina or 9/11 victims should also be intercepted by "enterpreneurs", and they should charge for something that was previously free.  after all, aid isn't properly priced, i'm sure those people would be willing to pay for it.  only the market has the right to set prices.  always.
Right.  Because Smashing Pumpkins tickets are a necessity just like food, clothing, and shelter.

danknugz

« Reply #1111 on: July 13, 2007, 07:41:00 pm »
scalping doesnt stop at tickets either. in new york, there's a website called PrimeTimeTables that actually scalps restaurant reservations. if you want a reservation @ 8 on a saturday night, it'll cost ya.  im not fond of the idea, but i must admit, it was a good one.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1112 on: July 14, 2007, 12:07:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
 Because Smashing Pumpkins tickets are a necessity just like food, clothing, and shelter.
they are in one important aspect: the source decided to offer them to consumers at a specific (and incidentally below-market) rate for the latter's benefit, not for intermediaries' profit.  

artists and clubs are almost universally against the practice of scalping.  must be because they're all communists   :p  

Originally posted by danknugz:
  scalping doesnt stop at tickets either. in new york, there's a website called PrimeTimeTables that actually scalps restaurant reservations. if you want a reservation @ 8 on a saturday night, it'll cost ya.  im not fond of the idea, but i must admit, it was a good one.
i have less of a problem with this, because supply is not nearly as limited.  there are plenty of good restaurants in NYC that will serve you 6 or 7 nights of the week.  there are only ~1100 tickets for a show at the 930 that will happen only once.
<sig>

danknugz

« Reply #1113 on: July 14, 2007, 01:16:00 am »
 i have less of a problem with this, because supply is not nearly as limited.  there are plenty of good restaurants in NYC that will serve you 6 or 7 nights of the week.  there are only ~1100 tickets for a show at the 930 that will happen only once.
scalping is just a free market economy at work. maybe its not right, but its reality. i was more pissed at the fact that DC101 was given so many tickets. i mean, i can understand giving tickets away as promos for shows that need to be advertised. but i mean, does a smashing pumpkins show @ the 930 REALLY need THAT much promotion? somehow, i think this show would have sold out in minutes anyway.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #1114 on: July 14, 2007, 01:29:00 am »
Danknugz, you are missing one teeny, tiny little factor. It wasn't about pushing the show. It was all about promoting the new CD. With that said, I don't listen to DC101 so I have no idea how many tickets they gave away. I'm sure it was enough to build up a good frenzy to get plenty of people excited enough to go out and buy the new release.

danknugz

« Reply #1115 on: July 14, 2007, 01:45:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguar:
  Danknugz, you are missing one teeny, tiny little factor. It wasn't about pushing the show. It was all about promoting the new CD. With that said, I don't listen to DC101 so I have no idea how many tickets they gave away. I'm sure it was enough to build up a good frenzy to get plenty of people excited enough to go out and buy the new release.
true.. i knew that shit was gonna happen too, with the album being released on the same day as the show.  the new album blows though, with the exception of "doomsday clock" and "tarantula"

sonickteam2

« Reply #1116 on: July 14, 2007, 11:39:00 am »
outstanding! thats pretty amazing

skevin007

« Reply #1117 on: July 14, 2007, 11:45:00 am »
Originally posted by le sonick:

outstanding! thats pretty amazing [/b]
In your opinion

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #1118 on: July 14, 2007, 01:10:00 pm »
Back when U2 were on the Zoo tv tour someone I knew was camping out for tickets for the RFK show and offered to get me one. "sure, why not" I said, even though I wasn't that excited about going to see U2. On the day of the show I was prepared to sell my ticket for a hefty profit and just skip the show - Does that make me a scalper or just an opportunist?

In the end I decided to go to the show because I got into the excitement of it all on ride down on the metro, even though I was offered $300 for my ticket.

I personally don't see why anyone has a problem with someone making a few bucks because they were on the ball and you weren't.

alexmstevens

« Reply #1119 on: July 14, 2007, 01:15:00 pm »
if anyone cares, sp added a philly date today (october 19th) and tickets are available so go now!

i just bought 4!   :)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1120 on: July 14, 2007, 03:10:00 pm »
HAHAHA, that's awesome! they initially only announced sunday and monday night shows, which sold out within seconds (i managed to get a pair of orchestra seats for the sunday show, tried several times again on another computer and only got "no seats available").  i'm certain that scalpers bought up a lot of tickets for these two shows.  then they announced the friday show... and i'm willing to bet that once it sells out, they'll announce a saturday show.  they're doing the same thing in boston.

so, if you want to see the pumpkins in philly or boston: keep checking TM until the fourth show is announced, or wait until shows get closer - people will be dumping tickets.  there is obviously enough demand for two nights in these cities, but i'm thinking that four nights is close to too much... there won't be anyone left who's willing to pay big prices.

nice one, although it might suck a little for folks who bought crappy balcony tickets instead of waiting for the other shows to go on sale.
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #1121 on: July 14, 2007, 03:12:00 pm »
I kinda doubt a Saturday in Philly. The Pumpkins usually don't play more then 2 consecutive night.

ggw

« Reply #1122 on: July 14, 2007, 03:16:00 pm »

Because Smashing Pumpkins tickets are a necessity just like food, clothing, and shelter.
they are in one important aspect: the source decided to offer them to consumers at a specific (and incidentally below-market) rate for the latter's benefit, not for intermediaries' profit.  

artists and clubs are almost universally against the practice of scalping.  must be because they're all communists    :p  
 [/b]
Disaster relief is not "offered to consumers." It is donated to specifically designated people.  Concert tickets are offered for sale to the general public (or at least that portion of the general public with a credit card).  Moreover, disaster aid never enters the market in the first place.

Really, you couldn't have chosen a worse analogy.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1123 on: July 14, 2007, 03:21:00 pm »
 Disaster relief is not "offered to consumers."
offer: â??verb (used with object) 1. to present for acceptance or rejection; proffer
 consumer: â??noun 1. a person or thing that consumes

and it wasn't meants as a perfect analogy (equivalency), it was an example of market forces not always dictating price - or the need for them to do so.  people seem to think that market forces are unstoppable, the be-all and end-all, and can't ever be questioned <insert bleating noise>.
<sig>

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #1124 on: July 14, 2007, 03:21:00 pm »
sweet. about the friday show, especially since i slept through the general onsale this morning for the sunday philly show.
nothx