Author Topic: Older Indie Music Fans  (Read 4292 times)

brennser

Older Indie Music Fans
« on: February 06, 2006, 11:33:00 am »
How many of the loons can identify with this?? The only difference for me is that I'm allowed hang framed LP covers and concert posters in the basement!!

WEARING a Velvet Underground T-shirt and sitting in his study, which holds old Morrissey vinyl records, Mr Leong Weng Piew was staring at share prices on his laptop.

An avid follower of indie music, the 37-year-old associate director of sales discusses the virtues of indie bands like Bright Eyes and XTC with enthusiasm.

....His condomium home is a typical family man's abode - toys peek from every corner and photos of his wife and 3-year-old daughter sit on every available space.

Even in his study, the 'indie-ness' is comparatively subdued. His multitude of CDs of bands like Belle and Sebastian are tucked away in drawers.

Framed pictures of The Beatles and The Clash's London Calling album cover stand on the floor - his wife wants no holes in the wall.

'Wife and work must come first,' he said.

Mr Leong, an ex-commando, is unapologetic about his comfortable white-collar existence.

'It's difficult to be truly indie. You have a job to do, a family to look after. We have only 24 hours a day to lead our lives,' he said.

'Indie music is not going to pay your bills.'

He picked up his love for non-mainstream tunes with The Smiths when he was in secondary school and he has not lost the passion. He spends as much time reading financial news as he does New Musical Express.

While he loved the rebelliousness of the music when he was younger, it's no longer why he enjoys it.

'I like the energy of the music but that doesn't necessarily mean I agree with what they're doing,' he said.

'Now that I'm pushing 40, when I see Pete Doherty (Babyshambles bad boy), I think: What is he doing?'

Bags

Re: Older Indie Music Fans
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 12:38:00 pm »
I can relate 90% -- without the family obligations and someone disallowing me from hanging what I want on the walls, I might be a wee bit more indie than Mr. Weng Piew (which is NOT a declaration of indie hipsterdom, so don't even start!!  I do get out to shows, though, and will soon have 7 concert posters up in my foyer).

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 01:47:00 pm »
Yes, I wish there were more hours in the day, so I could focus more on being "truly indie".

puh-leeze.

brennser

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 02:02:00 pm »
I think thats a bit harsh....whats he's trying to say is that as you get older life is full of trade-offs...can you really go to concerts 5 nights in a row and:

a) still get your dayjob done effectively
 b) still feel like a moderately decent parent

etc etc

Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
  Yes, I wish there were more hours in the day, so I could focus more on being "truly indie".

puh-leeze.

bearman🐻

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 02:25:00 pm »
My biggest problem is trying not to be biased against newer bands. A lot of times they really don't do much for me. For example, listening to Clap Your Hands Say Yeah vs. Talking Heads? Talking Heads will win. The Hold Steady vs. the Minutemen? I know that comparison might be a stretch, but I can't get over the babbling thing. D. Boon did a better job. Anyway, I'm trying to keep up with all the stuff coming out these days, but it gets to be a challenge. Sometimes, I just lose the incentive because nothing grabs me. Or it just sounds too watered down. And yes, it's also more difficult to find the time to go to shows because ultimately I want to spend some other time on my other interests.

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 03:08:00 pm »
XTC is indie?

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 05:08:00 pm »
XTC certainly was far from mainstream in its heyday.

I know peeps my age who refuse to listen to anything new.  I think that when that happens is when you start becoming mentally, as well as physically, old.
_\|/_

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 05:15:00 pm »
.....hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha.

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 05:16:00 pm »
They were on Geffen and their sound was certainly not on the cutting edge. The only thing that made them non-mainstream was that nobody bought their albums.

Originally posted by HERR PROFESSOR DOKTOR DOOM:
  XTC certainly was far from mainstream in its heyday.

I know peeps my age who refuse to listen to anything new.  I think that when that happens is when you start becoming mentally, as well as physically, old.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 08:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  their sound was certainly not on the cutting edge
was too!  their first two albums were

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 08:17:00 pm »
This is so true!!!

I noticed many years ago, generally, those who seemed to age the fastest were the ones who refused to change with the times, be it regarding music or anything else. Don't get me wrong, I'm not for ditching the old at all. My philosophy is to continue to add to your interests and only discard those that have served their usefullness. Even then, sometimes it's good to go back and pull a lot of your history back out for whatever purposes suit you best. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not all that healthy to stay stuck in the past.

Stop laughing Betty.   ;)  These are words of wisdom from your elders.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 09:27:00 pm »
Jaguar, that reminds me, happy birthday.   :)
_\|/_

vansmack

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 09:31:00 pm »
  I think Youbebetty needs a smackdown from her elders.    :)  
No need to smack her, lets just talk about all the great shows we get to go to because we don't need to seek permission from our parents...
27>34

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 09:33:00 pm »
:)     :)  

i'm sorry...i just...

"Older Indie Music Fans"??

yeah, not that i don't love and cherish you all; but you are all totally taking this thread so seriously.  i HAD to take the opportunity to laugh in everyone's faces.  you set yourselves up for it.

if i had a thread entitled "I'M NOT GOING TO PASS THE SAT'S!" you would have done the same thing!!

Arlette

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 11:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  My biggest problem is trying not to be biased against newer bands. A lot of times they really don't do much for me. For example, listening to Clap Your Hands Say Yeah vs. Talking Heads? Talking Heads will win. The Hold Steady vs. the Minutemen? I know that comparison might be a stretch, but I can't get over the babbling thing.
Ding!  We have a winner.  That's exactly right.  Whenever one of my younger friends starts trumpeting a "hot" new band all I can say, usually, is "Joy Division invented it and did it better.", or something like that.  Not that I can't like that band, but it's not "new".