Author Topic: badly drawn boy or british sea power?  (Read 20660 times)

markie

Re: badly drawn boy or british sea power?
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2003, 12:18:00 pm »
So after the first five songs I thought it was going to be the best show ever, but then he brought on his band, and while It was still pretty good, it just wasnt the same. They played a pretty odd selection of songs too which didnt help.

Sorry we didnt get to say Bu bye to you Mankie.

markie

« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2003, 12:19:00 pm »
So I wonder if everyone enjoyed BSP?

bungle bud

« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2003, 12:41:00 pm »
it looked like they did, a funny moment when yan was going a little crazy and didnt see the back of the stage and fell off. that phaser band are rather good and the beards which they have looked nice, dont worry the robbie williams lookalike guitarist was still clean shaven.

markie

« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2003, 12:46:00 pm »
So bungle,

was it as good as with the libertines? If so I am sorry I missed it.

Thanks for the goodies. Did you find anyone to hang out with?

I didnt heckle Leona, Mankie was behind me and I got stage fright.....

bungle bud

« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2003, 12:58:00 pm »
i thought they were better with the libertines, but it was a great show, no heron this time maybe that was the difference, jaguar and opps i forget who,erm, her friend, you know the one you said, well they were both kind enough to stand next to me. and the gay guys didnt turn up some crap about a car towed, rejected by the gays.

mankie

« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2003, 01:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by markie:
  So bungle,

was it as good as with the libertines? If so I am sorry I missed it.

Thanks for the goodies. Did you find anyone to hang out with?

I didnt heckle Leona, Mankie was behind me and I got stage fright.....
I was just mesmorized by that perfect bum of Leona so wouldn't have heard you anyway....leona/leon, do we have a loooooove connection? Especially as she seems likes chubby  mancunians with facial hair.  :)  I thought she was fairly good, but very sexy so it wouldn't have mattered anyway..like I said to lulu, a bit too much like Nora Jones without a piano.

I didn't push back up front with you markie because that would've meant me standing about 6" in front of that group of fairly short girls right behind us and didn't want to be a hypocrit seeing as I bitch about it when arseholes do that to me.

markie

« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2003, 01:17:00 pm »
maybe the" guys "were put off by your belly?

I am glad you found someone to hang out with.

If BSP had been better than last time, then they might have been as good as BDB. If they were worse, BDB was probably the right decision for me, afterall.

bungle bud

« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2003, 01:23:00 pm »
im just telling you what you want to hear, how was leona? did you like her?

markie

« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2003, 01:29:00 pm »
I dunno, Leona just didnt do it for me. I think its hard to do a good acoustic solo set in a space as big as 930. I think I like that kind of music done by guys or Suzanne Vega.

Yeah Mankie I felt bad about pushing back in, but I didnt want to leave Lulu alone alnight.... I figured it would be a long one.

bungle bud

« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2003, 01:33:00 pm »
didnt like leona, are you a MAN LOVER, im going now ta ta.

J'Mal

« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2003, 01:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

Originally posted by J'Mal:
  so how badly did it suck?
I think someone needs to accept the fact they're in the minority on this one.....   :p  [/b]
I'm sure your mom once said something like, "if everyone else wanted to go to a shitty concert, would you do it, too?"

Glad you liked it.  If BDB makes a public apology for his crappier shows, like the one I saw, and vows to work on his issues, and if the ticket is free and I've got nothing else to do, I might see him again.

lily1

« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2003, 02:36:00 pm »
yep, that was my impression too. but she is talented, just not my genre

bdb was great. the best of the 3 times i've seen him at the 930.

i didn't know it was going to sell out though. luckily, we got tickets on the street, as did jadetree/pollard/hewhosenamestartswithm.

and i think the highlight was nearly having a throwdown with that drunk girl, getting her to finally shut up, who then after the first half, moved over to markie and poorlulu. where then markie nearly had a throwdown with her.

dumb drunk bitch she was. but i can laught at it now.

Originally posted by mankie:
 like I said to lulu, a bit too much like Nora Jones without a piano.

ggw

« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2003, 05:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by markie:
  So I wonder if everyone enjoyed BSP?
It was outstanding.  I definitely thought they were better this time than when they opened for the Libertines.  It was like the difference between an appetizer and the whole meal.

I'm kind of underwhelmed by the album, but I think they're an incredibly tight band in a live setting and the music sounds much much better.  The guitarist is great and he's always got the thousand-yard stare going.  But when did they draft Macauley Caulkin to play bass?

Jaguär

« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2003, 04:28:00 pm »
Glad to hear that BDB put on a decent show but sorry you weren't all that enamored, Markie. At least we all seemed to have a good night.

Mankie, I'm glad that you got out to a show again! Sorry that I again missed you. So close, yet so far. LOL.

The worst that I can say about British Sea Power is that they kicked ass!!! Great show! The energy level of the band was a tad bit more economical but the musicianhip was more focused. Believe me, there was no doubt that they delivered one fine performance. By the reactions and excitement of the crowd, yet another wonderful night out on the town.

I wholeheartedly agree that their performance is so much better than their recorded works. They are a very guitar driven band, which I love, but for some reason, it's not as apparent on the CDs.

Speaking of guitar bands, always great to see my boys Phaser again. But of course, you knew I'd say that.       ;)      They debuted a whole load of new songs. First time I've ever seen them use a set list, of which I got one. Can't interpret half of it though because it's written with those cryptic band titles and half of them are new songs. Another little note: for better or worse, they have a new drummer. In my opinion, he's competent enough but a tiny bit too in your face. Maybe I'm just missing Ritse too much. Wish that we could get them to play for Smackie's return.

To top my night off, I had great gig companions; Kurosawa and Bungle Bud who rocked along with me the whole night, front and center. Everyone around us seemed pretty cool, even the group of Brits   :p   who traveled all the way from the UK just to see BSP at the Black Cat. You've got to admit, it was a great formula.

One last laugh was had by me on my way home when I drove down U St. past the 9:30 block and spotted a wooly capped guy in a pee coat walking away with a group of others. No doubt where they were coming from.

bungle bud

« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2003, 05:03:00 pm »
jaguar you failed to mention that you turned another person onto the charms of phaser,me, whats that 21 fans thanks to you.
 oh yes a big sorry to kurosawa for getting the setlist and then giving it to some grabby girl, i dont know what i was thinking,the look you gave me scared me  :eek: