Author Topic: good independent cd/record stores in DC?  (Read 5226 times)

ggw

Re: good independent cd/record stores in DC?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2004, 03:29:00 pm »
Twenty bucks says they hire that one guy from DCCD who used to let out a heavy, pained sigh if you dared to ask him a question.

Originally posted by econo:
  And clerks that don't want to have anything to do with you...

Originally posted by bellenseb:
 It's nice, if you're into indie music, to have a shop that caters especially to you.
[/b]

markie

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2004, 03:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Twenty bucks says they hire that one guy from DCCD who used to let out a heavy, pained sigh if you dared to ask him a question.

What happened to that guy? Was that the owner? The pudgy guy with glasses? I think I just saw him walking around College Park this lunchtime.....

bellenseb

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2004, 03:35:00 pm »
Not all indie stores are staffed by idiots...places like Paul's in Pittsburgh and Spaceboy in Philly are small indie shops with incredible stock, and friendly people. Not everything is doomed to be like DCCD.

Maybe y'all will be right, but I'm (foolishly) optimistic.

K8teebug

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2004, 03:39:00 pm »
I second the Soundgarden in Baltimore.  It's on Thames Street in Fells Point.

joz

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2004, 05:13:00 pm »
thanks for the tip on the new place on 18th.  i'll keep my fingers crossed that it will be as good as soundgarden or orpheus.  i really despised dccd and the wankers that ran the shop.  i always figured they were closet linkin park fans since they could never seem to answer any of my questions about any indie bands/albums.  it's pretty sad that i had better luck finding vinyl i wanted at the tower records on rockville pike than at dccd (this was towards the end, right before they closed) and they couldn't seem to keep anything decent in stock.  i don't know who was placing their orders but i sincerely hope they have nothing to do with this new place.

ratioci nation

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2004, 05:15:00 pm »
I have said it before, but I really did not mind the people at DCCD, who wants to deal with the sales people anyway.  And they had way better stock then anybody else in DC.  Why would they keep stock up when they are closing?

Jaguär

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2004, 10:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  go to soundgarden in baltimore.     :)  
sad but true [/b]
Not sad for me.   :D

Captain Jack

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2004, 01:04:00 am »
CD/Game Exchange.

It may not have a hip name, but its whats inside that matters. If you've been, you go back, aye? Stop by hipsters. There's one in Adams Morgan over by Asylum, one in Tenleytown. Come on, now.

Random Citizen

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2004, 06:29:00 am »
Originally posted by Captain Jack:
  CD/Game Exchange.

It may not have a hip name, but its whats inside that matters. If you've been, you go back, aye?
Meh. The guys at the AdMo one act like douchebags. Plus,I like having the ability of flipping through CDs, not looking at them in glass cases and then trying to flag down someone to unlock that particular portion so I can retrieve the disc.

I have said it before, but I really did not mind the people at DCCD, who wants to deal with the sales people anyway.
If you're a good sales person, you know when the customer needs assistance and offer it, not just sit there behind the counter and let out a deep sigh because they disrupted your weekly reading of the "Savage Love" column.

DCCD's selection was not that great, nor were their prices. There were many times (when I lived near the store) that I walked in expecting to find a certain indie or less-mainstream CD and walked back out with nothing. In those cases, I usually went to Olsson's the next day and found those discs.

I don't know if it was intentional, but in the last 6 or so months before they closed, there was a lot more mainstream pop/rock (Britney Spears? Matchbox 20? WTF?) in stock than indie releases. And that's the kind of stuff that turned a lot of would-be regular customers off.

ratioci nation

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2004, 07:26:00 am »
Originally posted by Random Citizen:

I have said it before, but I really did not mind the people at DCCD, who wants to deal with the sales people anyway.
If you're a good sales person, you know when the customer needs assistance and offer it, not just sit there behind the counter and let out a deep sigh because they disrupted your weekly reading of the "Savage Love" column.

DCCD's selection was not that great, nor were their prices. There were many times (when I lived near the store) that I walked in expecting to find a certain indie or less-mainstream CD and walked back out with nothing. In those cases, I usually went to Olsson's the next day and found those discs.

I don't know if it was intentional, but in the last 6 or so months before they closed, there was a lot more mainstream pop/rock (Britney Spears? Matchbox 20? WTF?) in stock than indie releases. And that's the kind of stuff that turned a lot of would-be regular customers off. [/b][/QUOTE]

Alot of times I would go in there not look for something in particular, and I would always find a lot more cds I wanted by doing that there than anywhere else.  They also had a lot more back catalog of indie bands than Olssons or Melody carry.

nkotb

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2004, 09:34:00 am »
It's not that they're staffed by idiots.  It's that they're staffed by the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.  Worst taste in music EVER!

Originally posted by bellenseb:
  Not all indie stores are staffed by idiots...places like Paul's in Pittsburgh and Spaceboy in Philly are small indie shops with incredible stock, and friendly people. Not everything is doomed to be like DCCD.

Maybe y'all will be right, but I'm (foolishly) optimistic.

joz

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2004, 12:04:00 pm »
anyway, i'm just glad to hear that i'm not the only one that thought the employees at dccd were a-holes.  for a while there i thought it was just me.

ggw

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2004, 05:36:00 pm »
Olssons may not have a lot of back catalog, but I've been pretty happy with their stock of new stuff over the last year.

Last week I got The new DBT and the new Clinic on Tuesday.  Today I got the new Libertines.  That's New West, Domino and Rough Trade, all available on release day.

ratioci nation

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2004, 06:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Olssons may not have a lot of back catalog, but I've been pretty happy with their stock of new stuff over the last year.

Last week I got The new DBT and the new Clinic on Tuesday.  Today I got the new Libertines.  That's New West, Domino and Rough Trade, all available on release day.
I agree they are great for new releases, they were my favorite store for a long time, I just don't work near one anymore

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2004, 07:08:00 pm »
I must agree with Random, DCCD didn't have a good vibe about it at all.

I got to hear the new Libertines last week at a listening party in London.   :D
_\|/_