Author Topic: hfstival cancelled  (Read 8639 times)

Bags

Re: hfstival cancelled
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2003, 06:08:00 pm »
If you're looking for the perfect show, I agree with you, mank.  But a lot of the other summer festivals are better than the HFStival -- the KROQ shows on both coasts and various other festivals throughout the country.  

But you're right; there's no going back with HFS.  I can't listen to that shit for a minute.

Give me WOXY or give me deaf!

Originally posted by mankie:
  bags...the reality is the only stations that would do a decent festival would be a small independant one, unfortunately, thanks to companies like Clearchannel etc. they buy them up and fuck them up. Don't know if they bought HFS but it doesn't matter, it's just teenie-bopper hippity hoppity, rap, limp-dickshit shite all the time regardless of who owns it.

eros

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2003, 01:34:00 am »
This could be the new blood HFS needs...just cut down on the bands with misspelled names (Staind, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, etc...) and I'll be happy.

---------------------------

"Lisa Worden To HFS - 8/22 - DCRTV reported in early August that Lisa Worden of LA alt rocker KROQ had the inside track to become program director at like formatted WHFS. And now we're getting confirmation of our exclusive report; she arrives in September. Worden received the 2002 "alternative music director of the year" award from Radio And Records. While both stations are owned by Infinity, KROQ is at the top of the ratings heap while WHFS is at the bottom. Plus, this scuttles any 99.1 format change rumors for the time being. HFS's old PD, Robert Benjamin, recently took off for the west coast....."
ʎɐʍou

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2003, 11:10:00 am »
HFS has sucked for so long now, I can't even remember anymore when it didn't suck!  It is the most thoroughly sucky station ever to blight DC's airwaves, all the more so because they still harbor bogus pretensions to being "alternative!"  Did I mention they suck?

http://www.whfssucks.com
_\|/_

ggw

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2003, 11:51:00 am »
Originally posted by eros:
  This could be the new blood HFS needs...just cut down on the bands with misspelled names (Staind, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, etc...) and I'll be happy.

---------------------------

"Lisa Worden To HFS - 8/22 - DCRTV reported in early August that Lisa Worden of LA alt rocker KROQ had the inside track to become program director at like formatted WHFS. And now we're getting confirmation of our exclusive report; she arrives in September. Worden received the 2002 "alternative music director of the year" award from Radio And Records. While both stations are owned by Infinity, KROQ is at the top of the ratings heap while WHFS is at the bottom. Plus, this scuttles any 99.1 format change rumors for the time being. HFS's old PD, Robert Benjamin, recently took off for the west coast....."
Doesn't look like much of an improvement:

KROQ Most Played

1  Hot Hot Heat Talk To Me, Dance With Me

2  Radiohead There, There

3  Queens of the Stone Age Go with the Flow

4  The White Stripes The Hardest Button to Button  

5  Linkin Park  Numb

6  Outkast Hey Ya

7  A Perfect Circle Weak and Powerless

8  Fountains of Wayne Stacy's Mom

9  Staind So Far Away

10  Linkin Park  Faint

11  Jane's Addiction  Just Because

12  Trapt Headstrong

13  Brand New  The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows

14  The Ataris  Boys of Summer

15  Chevelle  Send The Pain Below

16  311 Creatures (For A While)

17  AFI The Leaving Song Pt. II  

18  Korn Did My Time

19  The White Stripes Seven Nation Army

20  Smile Empty Soul Bottom of a Bottle

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2003, 11:59:00 am »
unless it's a oldies station, radio is going to play what the major labels are pushing...  indie labels can never compete with the amount of "promotional" money that major labels line the radio broadcasters pockets with.  an indie station could never survive in dc because it would takes millions of dollars to buy one, and then good luck getting advertisers as clear channel would just keep under cutting your ad rates.

welcome to america where the big box mentality is king and the little guy be damned...  bigger is not always better unless your clear channel or ticketmaster.   :mad:
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2003, 01:02:00 pm »
So how does Cincinnati support a great indie station (WOXY), and DC can't?

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  unless it's a oldies station, radio is going to play what the major labels are pushing...  indie labels can never compete with the amount of "promotional" money that major labels line the radio broadcasters pockets with.  an indie station could never survive in dc because it would takes millions of dollars to buy one, and then good luck getting advertisers as clear channel would just keep under cutting your ad rates.

welcome to america where the big box mentality is king and the little guy be damned...  bigger is not always better unless your clear channel or ticketmaster.    :mad:  

Jaguär

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2003, 01:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by Member 656:

Your assumption is correct [/b]

The other day I read on this site (can't find it now) a very derogatory comment about HFS playing music made mostly by young White males. Knowing how these fuckers tend to think, that sounds like they will now play a lot more Beyonce, Missy Elliot and Miss Dynamite.        :roll:      

Sorry boys, that won't get you anymore listeners.

My favorite station is still www.3wk.com though I do like to switch around for variety's sake. As far a using a regular radio in this area, WTMD is okay sometimes but they often get on my freaking nerves for reasons that I won't go into now other than that they DO NOT rock. In their defense, they have surprised me at times with music from the likes of Leaves, Haven, The Buffseeds, Ride, Super Furry Animals, and Joseph Arthur.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2003, 01:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:
  So how does Cincinnati support a great indie station (WOXY), and DC can't?

Considering DC is the 8th largest radio market and Cincinnati, OH is 32nd on the list.  The owner of WOXY is also not selling out to the highest bidder preferring to remain independent for the time being and establishing an internet presence.
T.Rex

flawd101

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2003, 06:09:00 pm »
specially with it costing 40+ if they lowered the price and got music that could get many people to come... even if they dont play them on the radio keep the crap bands but get some hardcore and real metal bands to play a stage somewhere that could get more people, look at things like hellfest that are doing well...and stop getting rappers.  but i know nothing, i would rather see bands at a place like the 930 club or jaxx then out in the daylike with all the radio rockers and posers.

sniper10

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2003, 08:59:00 am »
A few years back I was at a Beck show at the Patriot Center and between the opening act and Beck this female DJ from WHFS walks out (of course she's dressed in all black) and starts running her mouth. In unison the one finger salute went up - my kind of crowd.

I'm driving up to Columbia listening to WTMD and their playing Rusted Root then kick into a classic song from Gang of Four. Awesome!

WHFS sucks.

mjnova

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2003, 04:45:00 pm »
Ahem, college radio: www.wmucradio.com.  Yeah, it's only the air at college park, but we always stream online.  If you explore the bottom end of your fm dial near any college campus (around 88 or 89) you may find something worth listening to.

RonniStar

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2003, 10:06:00 pm »
The bad news is the bands I wanted to see won't be there. The good news is that I won't waste $40, but I do got a chance to head over to Ballston for  Blocktoberfest on October 4th for $10. You also get to see college football inside the bars. What else do you want.

SPARX

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2003, 01:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
  Anyone want to start up a local radio station that plays real music?
Do you guys no longer have any decent college radio?I know back in the day 88.5 WAMU used to be great,have they shut down college radio in the area.What about GMU,or is it no longer functioning either.My friend Greg used to be able to do a decent show when he attended there.I haven't tuned in to radio in your area for ages though.

mankie

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2003, 01:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by RonniStar:
   You also get to see college football inside the bars. What else do you want.
OOOOOH, baby runny-catchy. Can't wait.  :roll:

Sir HC

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2003, 02:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPARX:

Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
  Anyone want to start up a local radio station that plays real music?
Do you guys no longer have any decent college radio?I know back in the day 88.5 WAMU used to be great,have they shut down college radio in the area.What about GMU,or is it no longer functioning either.My friend Greg used to be able to do a decent show when he attended there.I haven't tuned in to radio in your area for ages though. [/b]
From my youth there was WCVT in Towshend which is now crap, WJHU at 10,000 + watts drowns out the College Park station (where I worked in college "Ten watts of power!") and most of the other ones that I do here are bullied by the bluegrassers and  classical fans.