Author Topic: The D. Plan show - sold out?  (Read 3466 times)

chknfngrs

The D. Plan show - sold out?
« on: September 02, 2003, 10:24:00 am »
there were a lot of people, but was the show sold out last night?

Bags

Re: The D. Plan show - sold out?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 10:41:00 am »
Originally posted by chknfngrs:
  there were a lot of people, but was the show sold out last night?
I got a ticket pretty late -- about 9:15.  I don't think it was sold out because there was more room in the back than the usual sold out show, but I'll bet it was DAMN close.  

Great show, but I did not like Beauty Pill.

markie

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 10:45:00 am »
was it as good as their last farewell show?

"which one?" You may ask.

I will let you decide.

jadetree

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 10:47:00 am »
Originally posted by bags:
  Beauty Pill.
I thought they were great, but the person I was with did not like them either.

MaLo

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 11:47:00 am »
Originally posted by jadetree:

Beauty Pill. [/b]
i was ready to throw myself off of the balcony if i had to endure one more song

d.c.1

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 11:52:00 am »
anybody else suspicious that this wasn't exactly their "last" show?  the show most definitely kicked ass, and they played their hearts out but it just didn't feel "final."  i detected a distinctly weird "we'll be back" vibe.  nobody (band members or announcers) ever mentioned anything about this being the final d-plan show, and there was barely any sentimentality.  i wasn't expecting tears and farewell speeches, but i would have expected travis or eric to at least have said something like "thanks everybody for your support over the years, it's been great fun, see ya!"  but nothing. . .just the usual extended jam finale and encore.  hmm, maybe that was best though.

Bags

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2003, 12:01:00 pm »
Well, except when Travis referred to their last song of the night as the last D-plan song to be played on the planet.  And they did (1) thank their record label, (2) thank DC, (3) have their old sound man with them, (4) have a friend fly in from Colorado for this show.  Etc., etc.  It felt like a final show to me.

Even so, I think we might see them once a summer at Fort Reno.

Sir HC

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 12:09:00 pm »
From what I understand this show occurred mostly because the Ft. Reno one was rained out somewhat.  Beauty Pill reminded me of Pavement in the guitar sounds and vocal stylings.  Not bad, not great, ex-Smart Went Crazy guitarist from what I understand.  

I thought there were a lot of "finalities" given in the show, and heck the band has been "broken up" for several months now.  Shocking to see the guitarist actually sing during a song, that is a first I believe...

chknfngrs

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2003, 12:10:00 pm »
Beauty Pill even said it was a funeral of sorts.

sueandnotu

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2003, 01:35:00 pm »
I had to leave before the encore due to a sick sister - anybody know what they closed with?

jadetree

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2003, 01:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by SueAndNotU:
  I had to leave before the encore due to a sick sister - anybody know what they closed with?
if I remember correctly, it was memory machine

sueandnotu

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2003, 01:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by jadetree:

Originally posted by SueAndNotU:
if I remember correctly, it was memory machine [/b]
Thanks!

d.c.1

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2003, 02:00:00 pm »
  Well, except when Travis referred to their last song of the night as the last D-plan song to be played on the planet.  And they did (1) thank their record label, (2) thank DC, (3) have their old sound man with them, (4) have a friend fly in from Colorado for this show.  Etc., etc.  It felt like a final show to me.

Even so, I think we might see them once a summer at Fort Reno.
hmm, well, they always say that sort of shit at every show and travis is always a sarcastic cynical bastard anyway.  maybe i was expecting something even more sentimental.  or maybe they've just drawn out the farewell thing over their last 3 shows so i didn't notice anything different this time.

or maybe i'm just in denial.   :(  

anyway, i was always under the impression that even though they were "breaking up" they would still do benefit shows like their annual christmas shows at the blackcat as well as fort reno in the summer.  hmm, we'll see i guess.

chknfngrs

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2003, 02:09:00 pm »
I like them a lot but am glad they're done. They had a good long run at it. And for DC bands (even bands in general) 10+ years is a loooonng time.

Sir HC

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2003, 02:28:00 pm »
Math time.  Assume that there were 1000 people there, at $10 a head, that is $10,000.  So for sound, what $200 a show?  And not too many bands are actually paid, so that one show could well cover all expenses for next years concerts.