Author Topic: favorite electric guitar?  (Read 3607 times)

Joymonster

• MySpace
Re: favorite electric guitar?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2004, 01:52:00 pm »
I love my Ibanez GSA20!

bearman🐻

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2004, 02:03:00 pm »
That's another one I was looking at...all some great suggestions here. Anyone own a Les Paul? Just curious.

J'Mal

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2004, 02:10:00 pm »
just an observation...

learning about the world of guitar equipment is much more complex and challenging than learning how to play the instrument itself.

kind of like, easy to learn how to drive, more difficult to learn how to put a car together.

once you get your hands around an instrument and play with it for a while, you'll also be in a better position to figure out what you like and what you need.  you know bryan adams got his first real six string at a five and dime, now look!

thirsty moore

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2004, 02:11:00 pm »
If you're looking to get a Gibson Les Paul Standard, be willing to part with a good amount of money.  I believe there's a Gibson Les Paul Studio that's a bit cheaper.  Or you could scrap Gibson and get an Epiphone Les Paul.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2004, 02:33:00 pm »
if you're a novice guitar player I wouldn't see the point of spending all that money on something fancy like a Les Paul.

You should check out a book called "Rockschool" before you buy anything... all the basics on guitars, plus everything else.
_\|/_

dotdot

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2004, 02:43:00 pm »
Dan Electro

thirsty moore

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2004, 02:48:00 pm »
Strat Ocaster

edbert

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2004, 02:53:00 pm »
If you buy anything Fender you can be certain of getting decent resale value.

The thing I didn't like about playing electric guitar was that it seemed like I was never done buying gear. Classical guitar is another story-  once you've bought the thing you're done buying

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2004, 03:59:00 pm »
How about acoustics for beginners?  I'd like to get something decent, but I don't want to spend a fortune on something I might not even use a year from now.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2004, 04:02:00 pm »
I have no idea... my accoustic, a wonderful Gibson steel-string, I got because a cousin lent it to me before going off to school and never asked for it back  :)
_\|/_

Jaguär

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2004, 12:53:00 am »
Jazz Master

Driveway

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2004, 10:10:00 am »
I got a Fender Mexicaster in the Summer of 1994.  It is a great guitar for a beginner, but if you want something that is going to last and have a good sound for years, I wouldn't buy another one.  Then again, I did beat the shit out of the thing.  I got it for under $300 and I had the infamous Crate GX-15 amp that everyone and there mother has owned at some point.  However, when playing live with a band in college, I learned to hate the thing because at a high volume, I couldn't get a decent sound out of the thing. But if you are just wanting to learn how to play, a fender mexican strat might be a good way to go.  just be nice to it.

A little over a year ago with too much graduation money in my pocket, I decided I was going to buy a Gibson.  I went to Guitar Center in Rockville and decided to go for a top of the line epiphone.  I was uneasy about it at the time, but I think I made a good decision.  Instead of buying the cheap bottom line Gibson, I got the highest end Epiphone Les Paul they make (Les Paul Standard Plus) for around $600.  It sounds great to me and I don't think I'll play another fender (except maybe a jazzmaster) as long as I live.  I think my next purchase, in many years when i'm rich, will be an old school Hagstrom or an Airline.

markie

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2004, 10:43:00 am »
Nope,  you are all wrong. Get This!

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2004, 10:58:00 am »
Originally posted by pepper*sans*salt:
  I've got a Standard Fender Strat from Musician's Friend for a cool $200 bucks. Totally worth it.
That's most likely a Mexican or Japanese Fender Strat...US models start around $500.

I like my Ibanezs that I've got and might be picking up yet another one.  I LOVE my Charvel Model 6 but those aren't made anymore. So, I will not play it out live as I just love it too much for something bad to happen to it.

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

J'Mal

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2004, 11:36:00 am »
Originally posted by DriveWay:
   I think my next purchase, in many years when i'm rich, will be an old school Hagstrom or an Airline.
I've got an old airline archtop that's kinda cool, but recently I went in for a RE-ISSUE of the old classic airlines....

Just got it the other day, in fact, and it rocks.

this guy has 'em

http://www.myrareguitars.com/comingsoon4.html

i got a 3 pickup in white....

http://www.myrareguitars.com/air3pwhite.html