Author Topic: Quick feedback on band promotion  (Read 6926 times)

vansmack

Re: Quick feedback on band promotion
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2003, 03:25:00 pm »
I would hire a street team of about 20-25 teenagers who write in hip short lingo and will say anything about a band for free stuff.
27>34

Jaguär

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2003, 03:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by Bagster:
  Besides CityPaper, are there other periodicals DC music fans read -- or good listserves?
I've always maintained that a band's fortunes in DC are dictated by how well they are received on the 9:30 Forum. [/b]
Ah, the power we behold.

:roll:

Jaguär

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2003, 03:30:00 pm »
  Besides CityPaper, are there other periodicals DC music fans read -- or good listserves?
There's a new free entertainment newspaper coming out, today I think, called Frequency. Don't know anything else about it but it's worth a shot. Being new, maybe they can get some intro rates.

Oh, and then there's another freebie called Maryland Musician.
 MARYLAND MUSICIAN MAGAZINE INC ,   14 W SEMINARY AVE LUTHERVILLE TIMONIUM MD 21093-5521 ,   410-494-0566

You might find one or two other publications on this listing that might be helpful.

Bags

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2003, 03:53:00 pm »
May I reiterate, Jag, you completely kick ass!

Thanks.  It's funny, I don't even know what this band is like!

- Bags

Jaguär

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2003, 04:00:00 pm »
;)

redsock

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2003, 04:47:00 pm »
Rumor has it, this kick-ass website is under development, which would allow local bands of all shapes and sizes the ability to promote themselves to a large audience. I'll let you know when i hear more about it...wink wink, nudge nudge

redsock

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2003, 04:48:00 pm »
Or you could try www.arlingtonmusicscene.com

but they're kinda klicky....

Liberte

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2003, 10:02:00 pm »
Try On Tap and Music Monthly.  Smaller circulations but still worthwhile.

Also research Internet radio stations whose playlists align with the band's music.  Much easier to crack than broadcast radio.

Couple of standard references: http://www.musicdish.com/bookstore/books/howtopromote.php3
 http://www.musicdish.com/bookstore/books/indiebible.php3

And of course, they'll want one of these for their website:  http://www.tourvote.com/buttonplace.html

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2003, 09:59:00 am »
Here's another publication to check out that covers DC and Bmore:
 http://www.musicmonthly.com/

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2003, 10:02:00 am »
Don't read free papers!

Why are they free?

Liberte

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2003, 01:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:
  Don't read free papers!

Why are they free?
Because they have different business models from the paid-circulation papers.  If you're thinking they are just pimps for their advertisers, well, ALL newspapers are pimps for their advertisers.  The free-circulation papers just go about it another way.

I've lived in at least two cities where a local alternative (free) newsweekly was by a long shot the best paper in town.

nonmenthol

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2003, 01:10:00 pm »
get your name everywhere. stickers, posters, flyers do whatever you can to get your band's name of every toilet stall, on every phonebooth and on every homeless person....wellmaybe not the latter of it all but you get my point. in connecticut record stores will play what you give them

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2003, 01:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by Liberte:
 Because they have different business models..?
Pardon my French, but that sounds just like a load of happy MBA regurgitation.

Liberte

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2003, 01:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:

Why are they free?
Because they have different business models..?
Pardon my French, but that's just a load of happy MBA horseshit. [/b][/QUOTE]

Pardon my English, but I'm not an MBA and it's just a load of basic economic reality.  A business model is simply a description of how you spend money and how you get money in the door to pay yourself and your bills.  Every business has one, whether they call it that or not.  

Free newspapers have a model that lowers their distribution costs by enough that they don't have to charge the reader for putting a copy in his or her hands.  There's nothing about that which necessarily compromises the readability of the editorial content.  If you choose to believe otherwise, that's your prerogative.  Just don't expect not to get called on trying to pass that opinion off as based in fact.

The original topic of the thread was how to help musicians trying to find a new audience in a new location.  The free papers are one potentially useful avenue for promotion, because plenty of music fans manage to get past voodoo bullshit prejudices about the nominal cost of something being the same as its value.  They find it worth their time to pick up and read those papers which provide interesting and useful content, again and again and again.  Is there some reason the band in question should NOT want to reach those fans (who by the way number several hundred thousand weekly readers in Metro DC alone)?

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2003, 01:38:00 pm »
 Is there some reason the band in question should NOT want to reach those fans (who by the way number several hundred thousand weekly readers in Metro DC alone)?
Honestly, I can't comment.  I tried to read a free paper once, but there was something in the pulp or the ink that gave my fingers rather a virulent atopic dermatitis.  Hey, you're the business factotum, not me. You've been to Woodstock.  You like to bandy terms like "business model".  I'll just have to take your word for it, okay?  Peace, love & IBM to you.