Author Topic: Quick feedback on band promotion  (Read 6928 times)

Liberte

Re: Quick feedback on band promotion
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2003, 02:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:

Originally posted by Liberte:
 Is there some reason the band in question should NOT want to reach those fans (who by the way number several hundred thousand weekly readers in Metro DC alone)? [/b]
Honestly, I can't comment.  I tried to read a free paper once, but there was something in the pulp/ink that gave my fingers rather a virulent atopic dermatitis.  Hey, you're the business factotum, not me. You've been to Woodstock.  You like to bandy terms like "business model".  I'll just have to take your word for it, okay?  Peace, love & IBM to you. [/QB]
And peace to you, bro.  It's still a free country, nobody should have to suffer an allergic reaction to material they don't want to read in the first place.

Samantha

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2003, 02:20:00 pm »
ask sparks

Sir HC

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2003, 02:40:00 pm »
I think you can go far if you have a cool logo on a sticker.  Give them out to kids to put on their cars, no need for them to hear the band first, and then the buzz will grow.

Always thought this would be a brilliant scheme, much like the Gabbo episode of the simpsons.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2003, 02:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  I think you can go far if you have a cool logo on a sticker.  Give them out to kids to put on their cars, no need for them to hear the band first, and then the buzz will grow.

Always thought this would be a brilliant scheme, much like the Gabbo episode of the simpsons.
Yeah although it wasn't a cool logo, emmet swimming's logo appeared all over the dulles toll road at all the ticket booths for awhile.

I've started targeting the mallcore kidz by giving Hot Topics in the area some tracks off our newest CD to play in the store which they seemed very happy about doing...

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

flawd101

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2003, 05:08:00 pm »
send the radio station a disk....keep requesting them on the radio. maybe eventually get playd when no ones awake or the right person will hear it.

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2003, 05:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by flawd101:
  send the radio station a disk....keep requesting them on the radio. maybe eventually get playd when no ones awake or the right person will hear it.
It would also help if you stuffed a plain envelope full of Monopoly money and enclosed that along with your disc!

Sir HC

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2003, 05:52:00 pm »
Just thought of the most brilliant scam.  You send out the CDs with 1/2 a $20 bill with the songs supposedly offering clues to how to get the other half.  Heck, makes people have to listen to it to get the money.

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2003, 06:36:00 pm »
Or just send the CD in an envelope with a couple of really ratty dollar bills in it along with a post-it note saying, "There's lot's more where this came from, if you know what I mean..?".

Liberte

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2003, 07:16:00 pm »
Sending CDs to radio stations is an excellent way to enhance the revenues of the CD manufacturing and duplication industries.  Except as part of a carefully targeted total promotional effort, it is less likely to help a band prosper than spending the same money on lottery tickets.

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2003, 07:29:00 pm »
So who should the fistfuls of cash go to, then?

Jaguär

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2003, 07:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:
  So who should the fistfuls of cash go to, then?
ME!!!!!

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2003, 08:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Liberte:
  Sending CDs to radio stations is an excellent way to enhance the revenues of the CD manufacturing and duplication industries.  Except as part of a carefully targeted total promotional effort, it is less likely to help a band prosper than spending the same money on lottery tickets.
And a good way to give the station some new coasters to place their drinks on!  :)

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

paige

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2003, 09:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagster:
  Besides CityPaper, are there other periodicals DC music fans read -- or good listserves?
im too lazy to read the rest of the thread... you should check out www.pheer.com - it's extremely well visited by myriads of scenesters from all over DC Md and Va.. all you have to do is email the guy with your Show Info and he'll put it up.. great for exposure, especially if you're playing with a relatively well known local/regional band..  ;)

thenotebookgirl

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2003, 01:06:00 am »
I write music/concert/website (don't ask) reviews for a college newspaper. I could give you the address for the newspaper office if you want.

Although, mind you, it's the Georgetown University newspaper. There's a dearth of hipsters. Or, in fact, anyone who cares about music. That's a lie. There are about 4 of us who care.

es9450a

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2003, 01:15:00 am »
You should send a promo copy to 411mania.com.  Broad entertainment site with a readership of about 2mil per day.  And that guy who does the music news report on Sundays is such a handsome, clever, spectacularly intelligent guy.  Cough.