Author Topic: XM radio question  (Read 4101 times)

sonickteam2

XM radio question
« on: September 04, 2003, 12:56:00 pm »
I was wondering, I recently obtained a car head unit that says its "XM Radio ready" or something.  What does that mean.  form the website, it looks like i STILL have to buy the receiever and the car adapter.  this XM ready thing isnt really saving me any money if I want XM is it? or is it?

Got Haggis?

Re: XM radio question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2003, 01:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  I was wondering, I recently obtained a car head unit that says its "XM Radio ready" or something.  What does that mean.  form the website, it looks like i STILL have to buy the receiever and the car adapter.  this XM ready thing isnt really saving me any money if I want XM is it? or is it?
what type of head unit is it?  You might just need an antenna.  I really don't think you need the car kit.  But again, really need more info.

sonickteam2

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2003, 02:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by Got Haggis?:

what type of head unit is it?  You might just need an antenna.  I really don't think you need the car kit.  But again, really need more info. [/b]
its an Alpine  CD/MP3 player that has the XM logo and says XM ready.

eros

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2003, 03:40:00 pm »
You'll need the separate Alpine XM tuner (about $200) and the antenna (about $75) and then the programming ($10/month).  It's a little pricey to start but totally worth it, IMO.
ʎɐʍou

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2003, 03:48:00 pm »
You work at a record store and can afford rent AND a car?

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2003, 03:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  You work at a record store and can afford rent AND a car?
ok, haha, you are right. and i dont sit around at HOME and talk to people on a messageboard all day either.

I work at an engineering firm during the day.  The record store is my 2nd job. and only a couple nights a week...for the discounts and some extra show money  ;)

sonickteam2

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2003, 03:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by eros:
  You'll need the separate Alpine XM tuner (about $200) and the antenna (about $75) and then the programming ($10/month).  It's a little pricey to start but totally worth it, IMO.
so then the XM Ready thing doesnt mean SHIT cause i still need everything i would need if i didnt have the XM ready crap.....just another way people are being screwed out of thier money.

ggw

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2003, 03:57:00 pm »

Originally posted by eros:
so then the XM Ready thing doesnt mean SHIT cause i still need everything i would need if i didnt have the XM ready crap.....just another way people are being screwed out of thier money. [/b]
When you buy a TV that is "Cable-Ready" do you assume that means you get free cable?

sonickteam2

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2003, 04:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

When you buy a TV that is "Cable-Ready" do you assume that means you get free cable? [/b]
no but i dont need a cable receiver/box.

i understand that i need the antenna , but if i buy an Alpine tuner that is XM ready, why should i have to buy the XM Tuner?  doesnt seem like my "XM ready" tuner is any different than any other tuner.

sonickteam2

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2003, 04:02:00 pm »
when you have a cable ready service, actually, that means all you need is the service.  So i dont have to pay for any more equipment.  they just run the cords.  liken the actual cable to the antenna, and thats all i should need to buy right?

Bags

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2003, 04:06:00 pm »
I'm with you, Sonick.  What makes it XM ready?  Whatever, I can't see paying all that for satellite radio.  I know some folks swear by it, but I find it hard to believe there will be enough stations that will appeal to me.  

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

When you buy a TV that is "Cable-Ready" do you assume that means you get free cable? [/b]

i understand that i need the antenna , but if i buy an Alpine tuner that is XM ready, why should i have to buy the XM Tuner?  doesnt seem like my "XM ready" tuner is any different than any other tuner. [/b]

ggw

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2003, 04:10:00 pm »
  when you have a cable ready service, actually, that means all you need is the service.  So i dont have to pay for any more equipment.  they just run the cords.  liken the actual cable to the antenna, and thats all i should need to buy right?
I think you're right.

Look here:
 http://www.xmradio.com/manuals/manuals.html

paige

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2003, 04:13:00 pm »

i understand that i need the antenna , but if i buy an Alpine tuner that is XM ready, why should i have to buy the XM Tuner?  doesnt seem like my "XM ready" tuner is any different than any other tuner.
i am not an XM techinal expert - however you should either call the customer service, or send an email. my friend answers the email, and i know that a lot of the replies may be stock response, but i am sure that they must have some information to help you. i think you would just need to buy the antenna or something... and i assumed that when XM came factory installed you paid for the $200 tuner. but don't quote me on that. just check it out... it's totally worth it. XM is the best thing to happen to radio in a looooooooooong time   ;)

eros

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2003, 04:13:00 pm »
I agree its a little misleading.  "XM Ready" is really just a marketing ploy by Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, et al.. to get you to buy a different receiver.  Just curious, was there a comparable receiver that wasn't XM ready?
ʎɐʍou

sonickteam2

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2003, 04:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by paige:

i am not an XM techinal expert - however you should either call the customer service, or send an email. my friend answers the email, and i know that a lot of the replies may be stock response, but i am sure that they must have some information to help you. i think you would just need to buy the antenna or something... and i assumed that when XM came factory installed you paid for the $200 tuner. but don't quote me on that. just check it out... it's totally worth it. XM is the best thing to happen to radio in a looooooooooong time    ;)  [/b]
thank you paige!  i knew someone was an XM person on here!  i talked to them, and they basically said that i had to buy a $200 fucking tuner and a $75 antenna, and basically, all my "XM ready" radio saved me was $60 for the display thingy.

and to think i passed up on the $80 for everything offer that "XM dealers" had last week....pfft.

i know XM looks cool, but for $300, i will stick to my mp3s.