Author Topic: release dates?  (Read 2380 times)

yinzer

release dates?
« on: November 17, 2005, 02:15:00 pm »
does anyone have a clue as to what the factors are that determine whether a UK act's album will be released on roughly the same date in both the UK and US?

for example, the new babyshambles album was released in britain this week with a US date nowhere in sight.  the last libertines album came out both places in the same week.

i would have said it is a matter of anticipated sales (imagine that, market dynamics shaping a business decision), but this has stumped me.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: release dates?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 02:32:00 pm »
well one question would be if the Babyshambles even have a record deal in the US...

one explanation given for different release dates in the past was because of the added expensive of trying to market a record in two countries at the same time.  it also more time consuming for artists to do interviews in advance for both the us and uk publications.  as well as being able to hit tv chat shows, etc to promote the record.

obviously more established artists have eager fanbases wanting to snap up a record the minute it comes out, and in this age of file swapping big bands need to make things available as close togehter as possible.
T.Rex

brennser

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 02:32:00 pm »
i would have said it is a matter of anticipated sales  
Ding, Ding, Ding!

yinzer

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 02:38:00 pm »
i just would not think there would be much of an actual sales dropoff b/t the last libertines album, and the different but closely related band, babyshambles.  i guess it doesn't matter much in the whole scheme of things.  i find this phenomenon pretty annoying though.

pip

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 03:08:00 pm »
Perhaps they're waiting and hoping to see if Pete will OD or wind up in prison before they proceed with releasing it in the US. That's marketing gold if it happens.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 03:08:00 pm »
given the fact the babyshambles wont be gracing these shores anytime soon to promote the record, what record company would be interested in releasing here.  beside from what i've heard it's not very good.
T.Rex