Author Topic: great reunion news  (Read 4862 times)

ggw

Re: great reunion news
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2003, 03:08:00 pm »
I'm betting tickets start at $75 for the nosebleed seats and run to $300 for the floor seats.

Simon And Garfunkel Unveil Reunion Plans

As expected, Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel today (Sept. 9) unveiled plans for their first major concert tour since 1983, due to kick off Oct. 18 at the Palace of Auburn Hills outside Detroit. The trek, dubbed Old Friends, will run through mid-December and will visit around 30 markets. Tickets for some shows will go on sale Monday (Sept. 15).

Shows will find the legendary folk/rock duo performing both acoustically and with a full backing band, which will include drummer Jim Keltner and guitarist Mark Stewart, who played on Simon's 2000 Warner Bros. album "You're the One."

"We'd like to stay as true to the spirit of the Simon & Garfunkel period and our work in the '60s and early '70s as we can," Simon said. "If not note-for-note, then certainly we don't intend to reimagine that work. We're going to try to capture it as it was and not alter it."

Although the bulk of the set lists will be drawn from "the body of the five albums we produced," according to Simon, a handful of songs from the artists' respective solo careers will be featured. Simon said he had always imagined his 1977 hit "Slip Slidin' Away" as a Simon & Garfunkel song, while Garfunkel has frequently included Simon's "American Tune" in his solo performances.

The pair embarked on a short tour in 1994, but remained apart for the rest of the decade amid reports that relations between the two artists were strained. But after being presented earlier this year with a lifetime achievement award at the Grammys -- which they opened with a rendition of "The Sounds of Silence" -- the seeds were planted for a full-scale reunion.

"It's family, the two of us," Garfunkel said. "There has been a deep, buried affection for the last decade or so, and it was the Grammys that forced it out of burial."

Simon added, "It was time to just say forgive and forget and move on. Since we seem to be doing this once every 10 or 12 years, I think this is probably the last time that we're going to do this. The performance and the experience is freighted with the potential for something extraordinary to occur. I hope that will happen."

Garfunkel said the possibility of the duo returning to the recording studio was something he'd thought about "a little bit, but that's down the line." In conjunction with the tour, Columbia will on Oct. 14 release the double-disc set "The Essential Simon & Garfunkel," featuring 32 career-spanning tracks.

Today's announcement was made at New York's legendary club the Bottom Line and found Simon & Garfunkel performing acoustic versions of "Old Friends," "Homeward Bound" and "The Boxer."

Here are the cities for the Old Friends tour:

Auburn Hills, Mich.
 Cleveland
 Columbus, Ohio
 Chicago
 St. Paul, Minn.
 Denver
 Seattle
 Portland, Ore.
 San Jose, Calif.
 Oakland, Calif.
 Las Vegas
 Phoenix
 St. Louis
 Sacramento, Calif.
 Anaheim, Calif.
 San Diego
 Los Angeles
 Atlantic City, N.J.
 Hartford, Conn.
 Toronto
 New York
 Philadelphia
 East Rutherford, N.J.
 Boston
 Washington, D.C.
 Atlanta
 Tampa, Fla.
 Miami

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2003, 03:15:00 pm »
Keeping the diamonds on his bohemian wife and maintaining the house in the Hamptons must be rather costly for Mr Simon.

That man is one ugly Jew.

mankie

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2003, 03:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:

That would apply to both don't you think.

mankie

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2003, 03:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  You all read my post wrong.  Simon and Garfunkel are good songwriters that wrote the soundtrack to my favorite movie.  I'll have y'all take a guess.

Watership Down?  ;)

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2003, 03:40:00 pm »
Yep. Good thing they could sing.

I just thought about the time I was riding the bus out in Fairfax County and the bus driver was singing along with "Bridge Over Troubled Water" on his radio. Made me chuckle both then and now.

Originally posted by mankie:

That would apply to both don't you think. [/b]

Bags

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2003, 10:50:00 pm »
Thirsty, I knew exactly what you were getting at with your Nissan comment.

I would *love* to see this show.  I saw Garfunkel alone at Wolftrap 8 to 10 years ago, and the S&G songs he did were magnificent.

MCI Center, MCI Center, MCI Center.

mankie

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2003, 12:09:00 pm »
I did see Paul Simon at the Capital Center years ago...it was 'her' turn to choose the concert....anyway, it was much better than I expected, it was when he had that Lady Chumbawumba band or whatever they called themselves, the 5,000,000 African blokes on stage.

There were some college pukes in front of us and when he started to sing old S&G songs, they looked at each other and said stuff like..."what the hell is this crap" I guess you had to be there to appreciate the humor.

thirsty moore

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2003, 12:36:00 pm »
That would be Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

Sincerely,
 College Puke

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2003, 12:45:00 pm »
Why do black people always gotta refer to the color of their skin? Heck, they even to it in their band name.

Sincerely,
 College Puke

markie

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2003, 12:49:00 pm »
black lace

black rebel motorcycle club

black

big black

black flag

ermmmm, arent all of the members of all of these black bands, white?

ggw

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2003, 12:53:00 pm »
  Why do black people always gotta refer to the color of their skin? Heck, they even to it in their band name.

White Stripes
 Whitesnake
 Great White
 White Lion
 White Flag

SPARX

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2003, 01:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
  black lace

black rebel motorcycle club

black

big black

black flag

ermmmm, arent all of the members of all of these black bands, white?
Don't forget one of my favorite band names:Big Black Nun.

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2003, 01:07:00 pm »
Rap group, The Young Black Teenagers were white. The worst "hip-hop" group of all time, The White Boys were... well, white.

mankie

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2003, 01:09:00 pm »
Then what color are;

The Ocean Blue
 Simply Red
 Deep Purple
 David Gray

huh, huh?

mankie

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2003, 01:11:00 pm »

Sincerely,
 College Puke
What was your major....internet search engines?