Author Topic: Album And Singles Reviews  (Read 9905 times)

Bags

Re: Album And Singles Reviews
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2003, 09:51:00 am »
From today's ny times:

July 22, 2003
 In the Present, Echoes of the Past
 By NEIL STRAUSS

In rock music at the moment, the best new bands seem to be the ones with the best record collections. The Darkness is mining its collection of 70's glam-rock and heavy metal to become one of the most promising new British bands, one you can simultaneously laugh at and pump your fist in the air to, while Interpol has become one of New York's favorite exports with brooding post-punk similar to that of Joy Division. Below are three relatively new bands from overseas that, at times, ape their favorite albums from the 60's. The Sleepy Jackson quotes Bob Dylan, the Thrills quote the Monkees, and the Super Furry Animals sample the more obscure Wendy and Bonnie. Yet at the same time, all three acts have enough personality to transcend their record collections and release these consistently engaging â?? at times breathtaking â?? albums.

So Much for the City
 The Thrills

At some point in their roughly 23 years on this earth, the six young members of the Dublin band the Thrills fell in love with California. Their best songs make more than passing mention of Santa Cruz, Big Sur and, on two different tracks, San Diego. Their music pays homage to the West Coast rock and pop of the 60's. And their videos depict beaches, surfing, blondes in bikinis and band members wearing U.C.L.A. and Mickey Mouse T-shirts. In fact, on their first full-length CD, "So Much for the City" (Virgin U.K.), the Thrills make the retro-pop confections that Rooney (an actual California band of the moment) fell short of on its recent debut.

Shot through with pumping piano, brittle banjo melodies, swooning pop harmonies and the occasional harmonica solo, the music is made for a road trip along the coast, with the sun high in the sky, the convertible top down and the smell of sea spray in the breeze. What makes the music stand out from the hordes of 60's revivalists already questing for the perfect pop moment is Conor Deasy, who sings each song in a high, breathy, almost strained voice, similar to that of Jason Lytle of Grandaddy (another California band, naturally). The first six songs on this CD are so stellar that it's hard to keep from backing up the album over and over again, never making it to the end.

Lovers
 The Sleepy Jackson

Like the Thrills, the Sleepy Jackson, led by 23-year-old Luke Steele, takes its cue from the classic pop of the 60's, mixing it with the neo-psychedelia of groups like the Flaming Lips. But where the Thrills stay in a tight, well-defined niche, the Sleepy Jackson is all over the place. On first impression, its debut American CD, "Lovers" (Virgin), sounds like a compilation. There's the swaying falsetto pop of "Good Dancers," the post-punk hammering of "Velvet Racecourse," the Beatles-go-country of "This Day," the low-fi poetry reading of "Feed Me With Apples," the Bob Dylan references of "Old Dirt Farmer" and the Burt Bacharach vocal arrangements of "Don't You Know." As if that isn't eclectic enough, there's a lullaby, "Morning Bird," sung by a 10-year-old girl.

This is not a stable album, and, judging by the music and the constantly changing lineup of the Sleepy Jackson, Mr. Steele does not seem like a stable man. But he wields unwieldiness like a weapon. It is his strength. He is a perfectionist and eccentric, somewhere on the spectrum between Brian Wilson and Daniel Johnston. "Lovers" has the strength of sounding so familiar yet so unusual, owing to Mr. Steele's combination of talent, taste and technique with weirdness, obsessiveness and delusions of grandeur. When in the right balance, these traits lead to artists' being portrayed by their admirers as geniuses. But just when one wants to bow down to Mr. Steele as this fantastic album unfolds, he neutralizes high expectations with lyrics like, "If I was a girl, I'd wear a miniskirt into town."

Phantom Power
 Super Furry Animals

"Phantom Power" (XL/Beggar's Group) begins like a 60's duet and then moves through pedal-steel country, psychedelic rock and Burt Bacharach arrangements. It sounds like the learned classic pop eclecticism of the Sleepy Jackson all over again.

The Super Furry Animals have been releasing CD's, each one a new concept and revelation, since the mid-90's. Yet through all the band's changes â?? from its Scott Walker obsession to its techno flirtation â?? the unmistakable accent of the singer Gruff Rhys has given it a consistent sound.

Though the group and many fans point to its previous album, "Rings Around the World," as its masterpiece, its first full CD, "Fuzzy Logic" from 1996, remains the one that best grabs hold of the listener, with unforgettable pop melodies combining with the sea legs of band members getting used to singing in English (as opposed to their native Welsh) for the first time on album.

The mercurial "Phantom Power" is less ambitious than "Rings Around the World" and less catchy than "Fuzzy Logic," but it is saturated with aching pop moments and sophisticated arrangements, each one coming on like a distant dream of a favorite 60's song. And though the songs may at first glance seem whimsical (named after dogs, valets and Venus and Serena Williams), they often serve here as gateways to deeper reflections on war (be it in the Falklands or the Persian Gulf), nuclear power and the tarnished American Dream.

Yank

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2003, 04:50:00 am »
From the 26/07/03 NME:

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: Take Them On, On Your Own (edited...because I'm too lazy to type the whole review)
 Right now, there are a million bands out there paying lip service to the ideas of independence and freedom of expression, but you can count the number actually practising what they preach on the fingers on one hand.  BRMC, though, are definitely one of them.
 'Take Them On, On Your Own' is a sensational record for many reasons.  Not only is it an album that, in the words of the band, tackles "death, guns, drugs, religion, family, politics, music and sex", but it does so with a precise and relentless intensity that bulldozes the competition.
 There's a starkly personal thread running through the album.  Two of the most emotionally resonant songs - 'And I'm Aching' and 'Shade Of Blue' (both sung by Peter Hayes) - are ones with a far more obviously autobiographical slant.
 Before you get down into the dirt of the lyrical content, though, the first thing that's going to hit you about this record is its overwhelming jet-engine sound.  A lot of records have already been heralded as this year's landmark releases, but 'TTO,OYO' feels like the real front runner - and it's going to take something truly incredible to dislodge it from that position.
 It begins in suitably imperious fashion.  The band have talked a lot in interviews about how they wanted to make a propulsive record with "no fat" and "faster tempos".  Well, opening track (and first single) 'Stop' is just that.  Relentlessly distorted and equipped with a pummelling chorus, it's a thrilling introduction to a great record.  The fact that it's immediately bettered by the second track 'Six Barrel Shotgun' (this record's 'Whatever Happened To My Rock 'N' Roll (Punk Song), with their greatest and most insistent riff yet) almost defies belief.
 From here, there's no respite.  With the exception of the slightly unformed 'Ha Ha High Babe', every song bears the hallmarks of what makes BRMC such an innovative group.  The sonics are so full and so heavy that they make the Yeah Yeah Yeahs record sound like leaves being blown down a street.  The songs themselves (particularly the swagger of 'We're All In Love' and the breathtaking 'In Like The Rose') are cleverly arranged and accessible throughout.
 The album ends with the seven-minute epic 'Heart And Soul'.  An adrenalised rock'n'roll assault powered by Nick Jago's high speed drumming. It's the perfect finale.  
 'Take Them On, On Your Own' is a masterpiece.  You should get hold of it as soon as possible.
 9/10

Longview: Mercury
 Sadchester middleweights' debut with a pure heart.
 There's an inherent problem with Longview.  Much as their delicate harmonies and the lip-trembling vocals of Rob McYey might pluck at ones' inner regions, it's hard to escape the feeling that those buttons are there for anyone to push, irrespective of how much the pusher in question might mean it.  Just because ER makes you cry, doesn't mean you're not manipulated.
 This is grand, heartfelt rock in the tradition of Doves or Coldplay, like the breathy ballad of 'I Would' or the big guitar strides of 'Nowhere', but they basically sound like a great band who've had all the interesting edges knocked off by production that's slick enough to drown seagulls.  It's a shame, because in 'Falling For You' they've got at least one heart-bruising anthem.
 6/10

Magnet: On Your Side
 The influence of Jeff Buckley's 'Grace' still hangs over music.  The latest to fall under his seductive spell is Magnet, aka Even Johansen.  From Scotland via Norway, Even's lazy, sensitive coo and ethereal country flutters certainly resonate with that same sense of majestic drama.
 But Magnet has more tricks up his sleeve than mere karaoke fanboyisms.  'The Day We Left Town' has a ghostly, Bjork-like, electronicia sheen, while 'Where Happiness Lives' is Elliot Smith bunking into the Grand Ole Opry.  But it's the suckerpunch refrain of magnificent opener 'Everything's Perfect' ("You said you'll die for me/So why can't you live for me?") that reveals just where this fragile soul's bread is buttered.  'On Your Side' is simply a lovely, lovely record.
 8/10

Killing Joke: Killing Joke
 In the '80s Killing Joke cooked up intense, expansive, voodoo rock, with singer and arch-shamen Jaz Coleman pretty much inventing the psycho-sexual nutjob chic that Marilyn Manson would turn into a shitload of money a decade later.  In the '90s Nirvana were accused of stealing the Joke's track 'Eighties' for 'Come As Your Are', but, with Dave Grohl now on drums, it's obviously all love in the KJ camp.  Well, nearly.
 Age has barely mellowed Killing Joke.  'Total Invasion' and 'Asteroid' are both gutteral, red-hot howls pulsing over superheavy garage riffs, while 'Dark Forces' and 'Seeing Red' are classic KJ arena-sized evil.
 First Jane's Addiction and now another comeback album that isn't embarrassing rubbish - is this some kind of record?
 7/10

Jaguär

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2003, 12:25:00 pm »
BRMC/Longview/Magnet - You picked these just for me, didn't you?   :D    ;)  

I love BRMC's Ha Ha High Babe and I've had Longview's song Further in my head for days now...in a good way. Magnet is good too for those quiet moods. Rhett, you might want to check out Magnet but you may find him under the name Even Johnasen here in the States. He did tell a friend of mine the other week that he has finally decided to be more consistant and stick with the name Magnet in the US for the new material.

Barcelona

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2003, 02:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  Just received the Waterboys latest (via ebay)Universal Hall.

It's a nice return back to the stuff that Waterboys fans love. Although it's more like his two solo albums than Waterboys, being more mellow and spiritual...I think the boy's in love!

Not his best work but still very good.

For those who like the new crap were the singer screams at the top of his lungs trying to cover up awful musicians, while humping the microphone stand....it's probably not for you!
I will get the new Waterboys album, however, I doubt that they can get to the quality of their 80s and early 90s albums. Room to Roam was an incredible album (will never understand how it got so mediocr reviews), but after that Mike has fallen down and down.  I still admire the Waterboys and would not mind at all having to travel to another city to see them live, but I am very skeptical about the potential quality of any of their future releases.

Bags

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2003, 10:06:00 pm »
That review of BRMC was not very helpful -- doesn't say much at all about the actual sound of the band, the music or the album; it's good if you already know BRMC, but i don't (though I've gotten the feeling I should).  

Thanks for posting Yank; sometimes NME reviews bug me though.

Jaguär

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2003, 10:35:00 pm »
Oh, Bags.   :D  

Just think.....Shoegaze with black leather balls.

Bags

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2003, 10:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Oh, Bags.    :D  

Just think.....Shoegaze with black leather balls.
Look, I just got to be honest with you people!  It's the only way you'll know best how to help me!

:D

markie

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2003, 04:23:00 pm »
Live Reviews

from the guardian.

Featuring:

Elbow

Coral

Mars Volta

Paul Weller

Jaguär