> GENERAL DISCUSSION

Dropping Like Flies

<< < (2/2049) > >>

ggw:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  The John Vernon one was the saddest I think. He had some good roles.
--- End quote ---
It's people like you that lead to negative stereotypes of Americans.

Jaguär:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  The John Vernon one was the saddest I think. He had some good roles.
--- End quote ---
It's people like you that lead to negative stereotypes of Americans. [/b]
--- End quote ---
Too right!   ;)

Guiny:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
 It's people like you that lead to negative stereotypes of Americans. [/QB]
--- End quote ---
Brave, brave, brave man. I'll just leave it at that.   :cool:

ggw:
Playwright Arthur Miller dead at 89

ROXBURY, Connecticut (AP) -- Arthur Miller, the Pulitzer prize-winning playwright whose most famous fictional creation, Willy Loman in "Death of a Salesman," came to symbolize the American Dream gone awry, has died, his assistant said Friday. He was 89.

Miller, who had been hailed as America's greatest living playwright, died Thursday night at his home in Roxbury of heart failure, his assistant, Julia Bolus, said Friday. His family was at his bedside, she said.

His plays, with their strong emphasis on family, morality and personal responsibility, spoke to the growing fragmentation of American society.

"A lot of my work goes to the center of where we belong -- if there is any root to life -- because nowadays the family is broken up, and people don't live in the same place for very long," Miller said in a 1988 interview.

"Dislocation, maybe, is part of our uneasiness. It implants the feeling that nothing is really permanent."

Miller's career was marked by early success. He was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for "Death of a Salesman" in 1949, when he was just 33 years old.

His marriage to Marilyn Monroe in 1956 further catapulted the playwright to fame, though that was publicity he said he never pursued.

In a 1992 interview with a French newspaper, he called her "highly self-destructive" and said that during their marriage, "all my energy and attention were devoted to trying to help her solve her problems. Unfortunately, I didn't have much success."

"Death of a Salesman," which took Miller only six weeks to write, earned rave reviews when it opened on Broadway in February 1949, directed by Elia Kazan.

The story of Willy Loman, a man destroyed by his own stubborn belief in the glory of American capitalism and the redemptive power of success, was made into a movie and staged all over the world.

Frank Gallagher:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by ggw™:
  Miller, who had been hailed as America's greatest living playwright, died Thursday night at his home in Roxbury of heart failure,
--- End quote ---
Err....don't we ALL die of heart failure?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version